dir-f question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
StSomewhere:
YSo although they are available, someone working from the published standard only learns by chance here that the GUE website is out of date, and the actual standards are in fact being modified without any advance notice?

Its one thing to publish standards and changes, but changing standards in mid-stream on someone is almost by definition arbitrary or capricious.

I totally missed this thread, and not to beat a dead horse, I feel compelled to respond by the language being used.

1. GUE is not changing, will not change, has not changed any standard without first investing much, much reflection and discussion.
2. GUE instructors and administration have been discussing the swim test and other fitness standards for quite some time and, as indicated, took the discussion directly to GUE members to incorporate their views before making any decisions.
3. No changes have been made at this time, but as stated multiple times, the listed standards are *minimums*, not maximums, as is the case with many dive training agencies. As said by others, the best way to find out any of the standards of any class is to contact the instructor you would expect to train with. You will not be required to sign up, commit, pay, or otherwise oblige yourself to training in order to find out any instructor's standards. <g>

Also, I hope that participants in or spectators of the fitness standards discussion on the Quest list did not feel that it was anything other than civil. Members certainly weighed in on different sides of the issue, and some people certainly have some anxiety about fitness standards of any kind, but I did not see anything expressed beyond that.

If the fitness standards (or any others, for that matter) were ultimately changed, the change would not happen overnight and will not surprise anyone already signed up for a class.

Cameron

CameronMartz:
I totally missed this thread, and not to beat a dead horse, I feel compelled to respond by the language being used.

1. GUE is not changing, will not change, has not changed any standard without first investing much, much reflection and discussion.
2. GUE instructors and administration have been discussing the swim test and other fitness standards for quite some time and, as indicated, took the discussion directly to GUE members to incorporate their views before making any decisions.
3. No changes have been made at this time, but as stated multiple times, the listed standards are *minimums*, not maximums, as is the case with many dive training agencies. As said by others, the best way to find out any of the standards of any class is to contact the instructor you would expect to train with. You will not be required to sign up, commit, pay, or otherwise oblige yourself to training in order to find out any instructor's standards. <g>

Also, I hope that participants in or spectators of the fitness standards discussion on the Quest list did not feel that it was anything other than civil. Members certainly weighed in on different sides of the issue, and some people certainly have some anxiety about fitness standards of any kind, but I did not see anything expressed beyond that.

If the fitness standards (or any others, for that matter) were ultimately changed, the change would not happen overnight and will not surprise anyone already signed up for a class.

Cameron

as my instructor put it, "we are not training athletes"

CameronMartz:

<snip>

Cameron
Cameron,

Given the level at which you are involved with this process at GUE, I think I speak for everyone when I say that it is very much appreciated when someone like yourself can come out and set the record straight.

Thank you for your response to this issue.

Christian

Thanks Cameron. It's good to have someone "officially" set the record straight on what I was arguing.

Spoon:
as my instructor put it, "we are not training athletes"

At most levels this is true, but GUE is definitely trying to motivate divers to take care of their bodies like they take care of the rest of their dive equipment. You can't do this without some form of daily activity.

Cameron

headhunter:
Cameron,

Given the level at which you are involved with this process at GUE, I think I speak for everyone when I say that it is very much appreciated when someone like yourself can come out and set the record straight.

Thank you for your response to this issue.

Christian

Christian and Jonnythan,

I hope my post helps to clarify why different divers have experienced different swimming standards for DIRF and why it will continue to be that way. However, I definitely don't want to give the impression that I'm here to lay down the law. <g>

Cameron

CameronMartz:
Christian and Jonnythan,

I hope my post helps to clarify why different divers have experienced different swimming standards for DIRF and why it will continue to be that way. However, I definitely don't want to give the impression that I'm here to lay down the law. <g>

Cameron
Understood that you not hear to "lay down the law", but you are able to "explain the law" regarding fitness from a GUE perspective as someone who is just a bit closer to the source. :wink:

Christian

beatingthehorse.gif

:rolleyes:

As indicated in the last post before this one, the horse looks pretty bad.

The short story in case you missed reading it all: Spoon made the swim with no problem and passed DIR-F on his first try. He will now dive happily ever after.

The claims that GUE was constantly changing their policies concerning fitness requirements were answered by Cameron Martz here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1193148&postcount=1

Thread closed.

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom