DIR (HOG) harness question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am not a DIR diver nor do I intend to follow the DIR ways completely but none the less I do embrace many of the DIR gear system ideas but there is one thing about harnesses I dont quite understand.

I am currently still using a back inflate bc (knighthawk) but am moving to a bp/w setup asap but on my bc I have a chest strap and I have tried diving with and with out a chest stap but prefer to dive with it. I feel more secure with the chest and crotch straps. So why is it a no-no to have a chest strap on a DIR rig.

I really like the DSS harness with those waterjet cut D-rings and the things DSS calls poly point rings. are these type of items discurraged for some reason.

I have decided to make my own harness simply because I dont like the plastic buckles and padding on all other harnesses. Thanks

NorthWoodsDiver:
So I am not a DIR diver nor do I intend to follow the DIR ways completely but none the less I do embrace many of the DIR gear system ideas but there is one thing about harnesses I dont quite understand.

I am currently still using a back inflate bc (knighthawk) but am moving to a bp/w setup asap but on my bc I have a chest strap and I have tried diving with and with out a chest stap but prefer to dive with it. I feel more secure with the chest and crotch straps. So why is it a no-no to have a chest strap on a DIR rig.

I really like the DSS harness with those waterjet cut D-rings and the things DSS calls poly point rings. are these type of items discurraged for some reason.

I have decided to make my own harness simply because I dont like the plastic buckles and padding on all other harnesses. Thanks

Who has plastic buckles and padding? If you look @ DSS, Halcyon, & OMS none of these Hog harnesses have any plastic buckles or any padding @ all it is 1 continuous piece of webbing.

NorthWoodsDiver:

NWD,

With a backplate and properly adjusted Hogarthian Harness you won't need a chest strap, won't miss it either.

There simply is no comparison to be made between a jacket style BC (back inflate or otherwise) and a backplate with a complete Hogarthian harness. The combination of a rigid back plate that keeps the tank from flopping around, snug shoulder straps that terminate at the plate, not at a cumberbund, and a crotch strap that keeps the rig from riding up is quite sufficient to keep your rig in place.

Tobin

I felt like you,having been trained on a regular BC.
Your HOG harness must be properly adjusted, you do it once.
Make sure the crotch fits snugly but not too much, this is surely one place you have to "do it right". The waist belt has to be tightened well, this is where you'll get your stability.

The donning and doffing in the water is so much easier.

Good luck

NorthWoodsDiver:
So why is it a no-no to have a chest strap on a DIR rig.

The quick release plastic buckles used on chest or shoulder straps in the deluxe harness present a failure point and thus are not considered DIR.

Cheers.

-J.-

NWD, the essence of a Hogarthian equipment setup is that, if it isn't needed, you don't use it. A properly adjusted harness does not require a chest strap. If you have problems with narrow shoulders, and the harness straps tend to sit too far out on your shoulders, then you can cross the straps behind your neck, which is what I do. That makes the straps secure and requires no additional straps or fasteners.

I looked at the polypoint rings, and I can't figure out why you would want one rather than a normal D ring, unless you wanted the chest strap, which you don't need.

Charles R:
Who has plastic buckles and padding? If you look @ DSS, Halcyon, & OMS none of these Hog harnesses have any plastic buckles or any padding @ all it is 1 continuous piece of webbing.
lol.

there's no end to what stroke-**** OMS will sell you.

Have a look at plastic in the "Standard Harness":

http://www.omsdive.com/downloads/OMS_Standard_Harness_Manual.pdf

They also sell harnesses with padding, and something called an IQ pack, which I guess is to make fun of the people that are buying it lol :crafty: I guess it's kinda comfy if you're going to sleep in it overnight or something......

You'll probably find the sternum strap unnecessary regardless of what kind of harness you have. If you're wearing any kind of harness on land, like a backpack, the shoulder straps are pulling down from the weight load. In this case a sternum strap, like on a backpack, can help center the shoulder straps on your shoulder blades where the load is more comfortable.

In the water there is no weight load (sometimes a negative weight load if you have air in the wing) and so the action of the shoulder straps on your body is totally different. This is why trying on a BC in a dive shop is not as useful to determine fit as actually diving with the gear. I also think it's part of the reason BCs have evolved in the way they have, with all kinds of backpack/vest type features that (sort of) make sense on land, particularly in the dive shop with your credit card handy, but make no sense once you're in the water.

TSandM:
If you have problems with narrow shoulders, and the harness straps tend to sit too far out on your shoulders, then you can cross the straps behind your neck, which is what I do. That makes the straps secure and requires no additional straps or fasteners.
Can you provide a link to a photo? I would like to see how the webbing is routed.

I'll try to get a photo of my rig, but it won't be tonight.

Basically, the webbing is set up exactly as for any other rig at the top of the backplate. But when the straps come over the top of the plate, instead of going to the slot at the bottom of the plate on the SAME side, they go to the OTHER side. When you put the harness on, this creates a cross behind your neck.

The net effect is to drop the plate a little bit on your back, and to put the straps closer to your neck. I'm very small and narrow across the shoulders, and this makes the harness far more comfortable for me. Confuses the daylights out of new buddies who try to help me put it on, though :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom