DIR People ticked me off again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blow.fish, I think a lot of the impetus to create the Primer class came out of the creation of the pass/fail bar for going on with GUE. There are people who would like to get the education, but they are new divers, or new to the equipment, and very reasonably fear that they won't be able to master the skills to the required level. Rather than "fail", they can take a workshop-type class, get the information, and go home with it. They can subsequently decide whether they want to take the full Fundamentals class.

A recreational pass from Fundies gives one very little other than skills -- and a lot of those can be acquired in a Primer, under considerably less stress, and with the benefit of almost certainly not being mixed with intense folks in doubles who are focused on a tech pass that they need to go on to cave or tech training.

Thanks, Guy. This sounds like an interesting option for many. Basically if I understand correctly, this primer course a lite-version of the fundamentals course w/out a PASS/FAIL evaluation or certification ?

Out of curiosity, for those going into it with the expectation of continuing training (you seem to suggest that many do anyway), what would be the value of taking this primer course first ? Since it seems to be a subset of the fundamentals course, is there any upgrade path, or would you just end up repeating some of the same material again down the road? For those that are merely looking for some exposure to this system of diving, is there any significant cost difference between the two courses (primer vs fundamentals) ?

The Primer could be viewed as workshop on the fundamental skills of buoyancy, trim and propulsion. While this sounds straight forward (how hard can it be right?) any GUE graduate will attest that it is not as easy as it looks, particularly when we put in place some objective standards of reference (specific depths, etc.) There is some classroom work in the Primer but the majority of the time is spent in the water.

To answer your question about the "why", we need to take a step back and look at why students enrol in a Fundamentals class. First, there are the students who use the Fundamentals course as the gateway to further GUE training. Many of these students show up having prepared extensively for the course, while others slide sideways from other training agencies. Because our training is holistic in nature, we do not have "cross-overs". One of the excellent things about GUE trained divers is that they can, with very little effort, integrate into teams of GUE divers any where in the world and participate in conservation efforts, research and exploration with very little mess and fuss. This is so because every single GUE diver must complete the "full meal deal" There is no "buffet" where you can pick and choose from the salad bar and maybe some desert, but skip the main course. GUE graduates all follow the same course progression and if the instructor cadre does their job correctly, they come out the other end of the training system (where ever it may be) with the same minimum standard of skills and knowledge. This is the power of standardization in our training.
The Fundamentals program can be a bit of an eye opener for many divers who felt they were already skilled in the water. Sometimes, despite their best efforts and help from mentors before hand, they do not pass the Fundamentals course. Remember, the standards are objective and they are published for anyone to see. My experience has been that for this type of student (interested in moving up the GUE training ladder) the Primer offers an excellent introduction to what is going to be expected of them in the Fundamentals and later tech and cave streams. They can then move ahead and concentrate on the finer nuances of the skills they are learning in the Fundamentals class. As instructors we are encouraged to exceed training standards if we see fit and again, from my experience, students who have completed the Primer and then later the Fundamentals class are the type of students where I can "raise the bar" so to speak. One of the biggest hurdles for students coming to Fundamentals is that they often lack the solid platform that you need to conduct drills and skills. This is heavily emphasized in the Primer. Let me give you an example and time line that I have seen: a student completed the primer in one month, the Fundamentals course nearly two months later and completed Cave I two-three months after that. This student was new to doubles and his first introduction to GUE was his Primer course. I am sure his progress was atypical but he did a lot of diving in between courses and really worked hard on establishing that solid platform in the water, that emphasized precision buoyancy control and trim. This student, like many GUE students entered in to the training program with the desire for eventual Cave and Tech training. He worked out the path of "least resistance" as it were, and succeeded. In this case the Primer gave this student a leg up for his later training. They didn't have to "un learn" anything and they began from the beginning with the end in mind and wanted no wrong turns in their path. Sometimes this is available through mentoring, etc, but this is not always the case. This student was simply very pragmatic.

But GUE is not just about the "deep and the dark". Fundamental skills are just that: the skills a diver should have in order to safely and enjoyably experience the UW world while not damaging the environment. Some divers have no desire to continue into Tech or Cave training and just want to be better skilled divers. They also may not want to invest the time and money that the full Fundamentals course requires. They just want to be better, safer, and enjoy their time in the water more. Here is another excellent use of the Primer course. I have had several single tank divers who simply wanted to develop their buoyancy, trim and propulsion skills ("how do you do a back kick?") and then have more fun in their recreational diving. Because the primer is usually around half the cost of the Fundamentals course and half the time commitment, it is easier for these type of students to enter the GUE training stream. This is also a great opportunity for the "GUE-curious" to learn what we are all about. Interestingly, it is not uncommon for these type of students to change their mind about whether they want to continue or not, and actually do move ahead. They become comfortable enough in the water that the "buffet" was not enough and they want the "full meal deal".

This post turned out to be longer than I expected but I wanted to take the time to tell you what the course was about. You are correct in that there is no pass-fail for this class. As a parting note, I find it very interesting that those who took the primer and then several months later completed the Fundamentals program, showed very little stress and did not seem at all intimidated during the pass-fail Fundamentals program.

Hope that helps answer your question. I wrote an article for Quest magazine about this class and I expect to see it within the next couple of issues. At the end of the day, GUE really just wants safer, more skilled divers in the water who are enjoying the UW environment and leaving it in the same condition as they found it. I honestly believe that the Primer is an excellent tool for helping forward this agenda.

Best,

Guy Shockey
GUE Instructor

Blow.fish, I think a lot of the impetus to create the Primer class came out of the creation of the pass/fail bar for going on with GUE. There are people who would like to get the education, but they are new divers, or new to the equipment, and very reasonably fear that they won't be able to master the skills to the required level. Rather than "fail", they can take a workshop-type class, get the information, and go home with it. They can subsequently decide whether they want to take the full Fundamentals class.

A recreational pass from Fundies gives one very little other than skills -- and a lot of those can be acquired in a Primer, under considerably less stress, and with the benefit of almost certainly not being mixed with intense folks in doubles who are focused on a tech pass that they need to go on to cave or tech training.

Hi Lynne,

I see that you posted while I was writing my novella :) I agree with you nearly 100% but would like to add that because the Primer is heavily biased in favour of in-water skills, there is little to no time spent on much of what makes a GUE diver integrate so easily with other GUE divers in the sense of their knowledge of safety procedures, protocols, etc.

BTW, I am coming down on the 16th, hope you are around.

Best,

Guy

<SNIP>

Hope that helps answer your question. I wrote an article for Quest magazine about this class and I expect to see it within the next couple of issues. At the end of the day, GUE really just wants safer, more skilled divers in the water who are enjoying the UW environment and leaving it in the same condition as they found it. I honestly believe that the Primer is an excellent tool for helping forward this agenda.

That was very informative. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

I think that the changes to the GUE intro course curriculum have finally addressed a lot of the deficiencies.

I think there clearly can't be a single course that is both an introductory workshop-style anyone attends course, and also a course which is a gateway certification to tech1/cave1 diving. The tech pass for fundies and the standards changes helped address the problems with students showing up to T1/C1 unprepared, but it was roundly and rightly criticized for getting away from the original workshop-oriented purpose of fundamentals. The Primer course fixes that issue.

I also really like the way that Guy breaks up his DIRF into split weekends. There's actually a chance then to instruct, then let the divers get in some practice, then to evaluate progress on the second weekend. That addresses the problem that often observed that GUE courses tend to be heavy on evaluation and not so good on instruction.

I even kind of like the Rec fundamentals pass. From a tech perspective, I view that as letting the diver get a tech provisional without the need to finish in 6 months or else.

Nearly everything I've whined and bitched about in the past with GUEs introductory courses seems to have been addressed one way or the other. Maybe not exactly what I would have done if *I* was JJ, but you know, I ain't... =)

But GUE is not just about the "deep and the dark". Fundamental skills are just that: the skills a diver should have in order to safely and enjoyably experience the UW world while not damaging the environment. Some divers have no desire to continue into Tech or Cave training and just want to be better skilled divers. They also may not want to invest the time and money that the full Fundamentals course requires. They just want to be better, safer, and enjoy their time in the water more. Here is another excellent use of the Primer course.

Guy, thank you SO much for acknowledging that GUE training isn't always about doubles and deco bottles and deep and dark! One of the messages I've been trying to share for almost five years is that this kind of training makes ANY diving more fun. Better control, better communication and better awareness is just better diving. And as the Fundamentals class has gotten longer and more involved (and more expensive) I think it has become more difficult for people who just want to be better recreational divers to envision taking it. When I took Fundies in 2005, more than half our class was in single tanks. I don't think there have been any single tank divers at all in the last couple of classes in Seattle.

The Primer fills that hole. Once again, we have a class where, when somebody posts a question about, "Where do I go from here to learn more?" we can say, "Take a GUE Primer."

BTW, Guy, our mutual karma is awful. I have guests from out of town that weekend, and the 16th, we're going out on a South Sound charter.

I think that the changes to the GUE intro course curriculum have finally addressed a lot of the deficiencies.

I think there clearly can't be a single course that is both an introductory workshop-style anyone attends course, and also a course which is a gateway certification to tech1/cave1 diving. The tech pass for fundies and the standards changes helped address the problems with students showing up to T1/C1 unprepared, but it was roundly and rightly criticized for getting away from the original workshop-oriented purpose of fundamentals. The Primer course fixes that issue.

I also really like the way that Guy breaks up his DIRF into split weekends. There's actually a chance then to instruct, then let the divers get in some practice, then to evaluate progress on the second weekend. That addresses the problem that often observed that GUE courses tend to be heavy on evaluation and not so good on instruction.

I even kind of like the Rec fundamentals pass. From a tech perspective, I view that as letting the diver get a tech provisional without the need to finish in 6 months or else.

Nearly everything I've whined and bitched about in the past with GUEs introductory courses seems to have been addressed one way or the other. Maybe not exactly what I would have done if *I* was JJ, but you know, I ain't... =)

Yeah they are a wee bit slow to respond to market forces, but getting some round to-its finally.

Guy, thank you SO much for acknowledging that GUE training isn't always about doubles and deco bottles and deep and dark! One of the messages I've been trying to share for almost five years is that this kind of training makes ANY diving more fun. Better control, better communication and better awareness is just better diving. And as the Fundamentals class has gotten longer and more involved (and more expensive) I think it has become more difficult for people who just want to be better recreational divers to envision taking it. When I took Fundies in 2005, more than half our class was in single tanks. I don't think there have been any single tank divers at all in the last couple of classes in Seattle.

The Primer fills that hole. Once again, we have a class where, when somebody posts a question about, "Where do I go from here to learn more?" we can say, "Take a GUE Primer."

BTW, Guy, our mutual karma is awful. I have guests from out of town that weekend, and the 16th, we're going out on a South Sound charter.

I taught a single tank Fundamentals course this summer and it was a lot of fun. The valve drill was a lot easier to demonstrate.......:)

Too bad you won't be around, but I will be back in November and December.

Best,

Guuy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom