DIR without the gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must be the person that Kathydee mentioned in her post?
You might want to get in touch with George Watson (UTD)at Ocean First Divers in Boulder, and Rob Calkins (GUE) at Flatirons Scuba.
You should have no trouble finding dive buddies, there are a ton of divers in CO. We usually dive at a location that is deep enough to keep up your T1 skills and beyond ( i noticed you are T1).
Hopefully we'll get to dive sometime when you get here :D

Yep, that's me ... unless Kathy has another friend moving to Boulder :). I will definitively reach out and try to find some people once the date gets nearer, can't wait to see the sites and meet the community there. The T1 "skills" will need a lot of work, I am just certified in August (Gideon, Manado) and have yet to do any deep dives in a drysuit (I used to be based in Singapore) ... so, looking forward to all sorts of diving there.

I will definitively reach out and try to find some people once the date gets nearer, can't wait to see the sites and meet the community there. The T1 "skills" will need a lot of work, I am just certified in August (Gideon, Manado) and have yet to do any deep dives in a drysuit (I used to be based in Singapore) ... so, looking forward to all sorts of diving there.

OK, don't get too excited about the sites in the Boulder area--there really aren't any. The site Jason mentioned is in New Mexico, and when we dive there, we gather people from 3-4 states in our group. (No, it is not the Blue Hole.) We have a good time, and there is a lot of sharing and light-hearted fun. The real local diving is just about finished now, except for some mountain lakes that will ice over soon. The New Mexico site is thermal and is diveable all year long.

In Boulder, we devote the pool in the shop to tech training the last weekend of every month, and, yes, we do just get in the pool in our dry suits and work on skills. We have equipment that we share. If I wanted, for example, to work on deco bottle skills and left mine home, I would just see whose stuff is around. My doubles have a lot of 21/35 in them right now, so if I wanted to work next weekend, I would see what is in the shop that doesn't have something expensive in it. (I do usually bring my own, though.)

Again, contact me for more specific information.

OP -- the simple answer to your question is "Yes, you can learn a lot of "DIR'ish" diving without changing your gear.

[Note -- I am in a very small minority with the following viewpoint -- perhaps a minority of one!]

It is my belief that "DIR" is fundamentally about:

a. Good (strong) personal diving skills;

b. Good team awareness and reliance;

c. Good dive planning and execution; and

d. Train as you plan to dive.

Note -- NONE of these four, what I believe are the core of "DIR Diving," have anything specifically relating to gear. They are, mostly, about attitudes regarding your training, your planning and your diving.

IT IS TRUE that equipment can get in the way of some of these things -- for example, ill fitting gear can make it difficult, if not impossible, to have strong personal diving skills. A short hose on your donated regulator can make some other skills hard, or impossible, to master. Split fins can make it hard, or impossible, to learn or practice other skills. And so on.

BUT, you can go a long way towards "DIRness" with whatever gear you have.

[Let the flames fly.]

[Final Note -- the Borg Queen just demanded I add a fifth "DIR" point -- the standardization of gear and procedures, which is true. Using the gear you have, you CAN work on the standardization of procedures since that is gear agnostic, but, of course, you can't reach the Nirvana of DIRness without the standardization of gear. BUT NOTE dear Borg Queen, I never said one could -- just that one can go a long way towards "DIRness" without changing gear.]

My wife and I just became PADI AOW certified and recently purchased all our own gear including vest type BCDs, non-wrist computers, and Atomic regs. I started reading about DIR and GUE diving a few days ago and am very interested but lack the funding to purchase all new gear again and am hoping to get a lot more use out of our existing equipment. Is it possible to start learning, practice, and use DIR principles without the equipment such as a wing setup? If so, what good place to start?

Thank you,

David

David, this is a good question for Scubaboard. From where you are right now, reading about DIR concepts and proactive solutions, you CAN apply many of the DIR ideas to diving using the gear you have now...
For your vest BC, I would need to know the brand and model for specific "how to" advice, but the first step would be getting the 7 foot long hose for your primary, and short hose for bungeed necklace backup reg....you will then need to figure out a way to route the long hose under something in the vest's waiste band...some vests will have a belt that would make this easy--if you can put a knife scabbard or a Halcyon pocket or ( expensive solution--a light canister) on this waiste band, then you have a perfect way to use the long hose.....and you can begin to read up on all the DIR techniques on S drills, and sharing ideas in general. Again, if you can't find an easy way to route the hose with the particular model BC you have, reply back and more than likely, one of us will come up with a DIRish solution for you :)

Also, you need to get the bouyancy and trim issues worked out right away..something most open water dive instruction fails miserably in ( of course, individual instructors exist that will do a great job of this, but the masses that get churned out by the bulk of instructors, do NOT get appropriate help in learning bouyancy control and proper trim....You CAN teach this to yourself, there are plenty of DIR articles on Bouyancy and trim, which if needed, we could post links to.

First step in this is to carry no more weight than you need to stay neutral or just barely negative, with a tank which is low on gas ( 700 to 500psi), and 100% of the air dumped out of your BC. And you need to be sure you know how to dump all the air out of your bc. Huge numbers of new divers have no clue whatsoever, that they have quite a bit of air remaining in their bc's when they "think" they have dumped it, and they end up carrying much more lead than they should, to compensate for this big mistake.

Next, you need to find the optimal way to be able to easily and without effort, to swim flat horizontal, during your dives...it will mean getting to the desired depth on your dive, and then getting your self PERFECTLY NEUTRAL...I mean dead neutral....you need to really concentrate on perfecting this in the beginning. ....this is the issue of trim, the DIR way. The opposite of this is the way you see new divers doing their swim, where their body is head up, feet down at a 30 degree angle OR WORSE. The head up and feet down posture causes them to push a big "bow wave", creating huge drag, and forcing them to work very hard to end up swimming quite slowly...they get no glide....with the flat horizontal trim, and streamlined gear, you should have a nice slow kick, and a reasonably long glide. This keeps your heart rate down, which in turn allows you to breathe much less ( without trying not to breathe) so your bottom time will go up, and your reserve power for currents or emergencies is much higher as well...ie., you have been doing no work, and have lots of energy, as opposed to a diver who has been kicking like crazy to keep up with other divers, and is tired out after 15 minutes, and already low on air!

The other thing to BEGIN with, in your quest for DIRish diving skills, would be your buddy behavior--you and your buddy will need to begin diving as a team, each in the other's peripherol awareness and vision --you can look away from your buddy for a moment--but then after the moment, you are back to cataloging where they are, and how they are doing. This means side by side diving, NOT follow the leader diving.
You will track how much air your buddy has, they will keep track of how much you have...the buddy IS your reserve air supply, so you DO have a several good reasons to make sure your reserve, intelligent air supply, stays in good shape. If your buddy runs out of air, it will be as much your fault as his/hers. With this phase of thought, practicing the donation of the long hose, and switching to backup reg at your chin, will be an obvious necessity. It needs to be so easy for both of you, that it is a zero stress skill..one you could do anywhere, any time...as easy as breathing :)

Regards,
DanV

p.s.
On re-reading your post, I just noticed the console issue....I'd start shoppig for an inexpensive "wrist boot" for your computer, and throw away or , sell the console to someone you really don't like at all :) You want the analog pressure guage naked and clipped off at your waiste--you should be able to see it without unclipping....there are plenty of DIR articles on how to create the clip for the naked pressure guage.

Last edited:
One more thing--the OP's user name just struck me. I think most of the DIR divers in our area are also rock climbers, and some are very accomplished.

Dan, very nice post. I will take issue with one small item however and that is the request that the OP and his wife switch to 84" hoses on their primaries and go with bungied backups. I know "the DIR way" is to "begin as you would go on" but since the OP has already stated that is not an option, I'd suggest that they NOT go with 84" hoses. To the contrary, as long as they are staying in OW/Recreational diving, and until they get some more discretionary funds, they should stay with the hoses they have -- or, at the most, get either 40" or 60" ones for their primaries. For all we know, they already have 40" hoses on their Octos and so they can go a long way towards "DIR Nirvana" by just switching the octo and primary hoses, then bungieing (is that a word?) the octo -- presto-change-o, they now have setups where they donate the primary and revert to the bungied backup. Or with the 60" primary hose, it routes very nicely underneath the right arm and around behind the neck -- and there is nothing you have to worry about trapping under the right side of the cumberbund. K.I.S.S. is the key here.

The rest of your post is of course, spot on. Situational awareness, good buoyancy control, etc. are all gear agnostic (or at least should be) and are at the heart of all good diving -- but especially team diving DIR-style.

Dan, very nice post. I will take issue with one small item however and that is the request that the OP and his wife switch to 84" hoses on their primaries and go with bungied backups. I know "the DIR way" is to "begin as you would go on" but since the OP has already stated that is not an option, I'd suggest that they NOT go with 84" hoses. To the contrary, as long as they are staying in OW/Recreational diving, and until they get some more discretionary funds, they should stay with the hoses they have -- or, at the most, get either 40" or 60" ones for their primaries. For all we know, they already have 40" hoses on their Octos and so they can go a long way towards "DIR Nirvana" by just switching the octo and primary hoses, then bungieing (is that a word?) the octo -- presto-change-o, they now have setups where they donate the primary and revert to the bungied backup. Or with the 60" primary hose, it routes very nicely underneath the right arm and around behind the neck -- and there is nothing you have to worry about trapping under the right side of the cumberbund. K.I.S.S. is the key here.

The rest of your post is of course, spot on. Situational awareness, good buoyancy control, etc. are all gear agnostic (or at least should be) and are at the heart of all good diving -- but especially team diving DIR-style.

Hi Peter,
Probably alot of the DIR crowd would be split on this advice....one of the really cool things I like to show divers new to the gear and ideas of DIR, is how AMAZINGLY EASY AND COMFORTABLE it is to use a 7 foot long hose for donating. Not just the ease of instant deployment to the buddy pretending to be OOA, but even more dramatic for them, how easy it is to swim..basically to do a dive while on a long hose....it is almost like being on a hooka ( Brownies Third Lung)...no restriction, no concerns....the typical response is "wow, I could do a whole dive like this" :)

While the DIR primary donation can work perfectly with shorter length hoses, as you suggest, the cost of the long hose is not high, and the benefits in an airshare are so intense, they are almost fun!

I see brand new divers and their brand new diving buddy's as being in a much higher probability of actually getting into an OOA scenario than most of us on this board...as such, giving them the easiest air share equipment, appeals to me.

It's not something I could get preachy about....it's just a "cool factor" I think they would appreciate, without any real downside.

REgards,

DanV

Dan, very good points. As I'm sure you are aware, my primary buddy and I both dive 7' hoses and, when diving an AL80 in the tropics, often will share air during the dive to "equalize" gas useage. The ONLY way this works is with a 7' length to give me (the air hog) the room I need to continue to take pictures and swim easily. BUT IF the purpose of the thread was to give the OP ideas of how to get "DIRish" at the least amount of cost....

Dan, very good points. As I'm sure you are aware, my primary buddy and I both dive 7' hoses and, when diving an AL80 in the tropics, often will share air during the dive to "equalize" gas useage. The ONLY way this works is with a 7' length to give me (the air hog) the room I need to continue to take pictures and swim easily. BUT IF the purpose of the thread was to give the OP ideas of how to get "DIRish" at the least amount of cost....

Yes, I'm well aware that you and Lynn could be "poster children" for DIR :D

REgards,
DanV

Oh, my goodness, Dan . . . Peter a poster child for DIR? We really DO need to come to Florida and dive with you. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom