Ditchable weight solutions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently started diving my 3 mil for the summer season and realized that I am now negatively buoyant with my stainless backplate when diving our local freshwater lake. I am switching over to aluminum to get a few pounds back. Although I hate weight belts I have been using one with my drysuit. However, with the few pound differential switch to aluminum, I figure I can only effectively carry 2 - 4 pounds. With this little of weight I was wondering if there is a simple solution I can use to carry while still in a ditchable configuration and forgo the belt all together. I was thinking of using something like ankle weights because the have the clips which could be easily connected and disconnected-the question is where to put them that would be easily accessible and not affect trim.

Any thoughts of ideas on how to configure?

Thanks,

'bob

You don't say what tank you are using? You could use XS scuba or Halcyon trim weight pockets threaded on your harness waste band, although not strictly "ditch-able" the pockets can be opened. Unless you have especially "floaty" feet ankle weights may not be a suitable solution. Assuming you have good horizontal trim currently moving weight south to your ankles may well upset your trim. I would have thought with such little weight a weight belt would be ok, Im assuming you are carrying much more on your belt when diving dry. I have only 2kgs on a belt and don't this an issue, its "almost" like wearing no belt . If you are using a steel tank with a 3mm in fresh water I would have thought you would not need any extra weight, if using an aluminium weight would still be minimal i.e around 4lbs to offset buoyancy with near empty tank. With such little weight you could put the weight again in Halcyon or XS scuba trim weight pockets on your cam bands depending on trim. Personally I would just use a weight belt. Good luck.

Last edited:
Rude....... Listen to this ok. I myself have not used this, but I do KNOW a guy that does and it works fine. He faced a similar situation and what he did was basically take a pocket pouch (Velcro close) with a loop let on the back (to use on a belt say; thread the belt through...) and then fasten the pocket (with the weight IN IT) to the crotch strap on his harness. It does not effect his symmetry in the water and because it is threaded, or slid through, the loop on the back and the crotch strap has a clip buckle at the FRONT of his harness, in emergency situations all he has to do, and trust me he has "practiced doing it tons and works perfect," is do a quick unclipping of the strap and the pocket, with the weight IN it, slides OFF the strap and effectively OFF HIM. Comes off even FASTER when practicing a CESA because he is VERTICAL in the water, heading UP, and the disconnected strap allows the weighted pocket to fall STRAIGHT DOWN below.

Play around with it so it stays where you need it to and comes off ok ......

It Sounds silly I know, but it is a PERFECT solution.

You could put the ankle weights around the waist belt of your harness, but they might tend to slide around, and you'd have to figure out some way to be sure that, if your waist belt came unfastened, you wouldn't lose them.

I like the idea of trim weight pockets on the waistband with small weights in them, if that isn't too low to ruin your trim.

Honestly, I carry 2 lbs in Hawaii in a 3 mil suit, and I put them on the cambands and don't worry about them being ditchable. It would be pretty hard to disable a wing to where it couldn't hold 2 lbs worth of air, and if I can't swim up 2 lbs of weight, I probably shouldn't be in the water.

I'm kinda in this situation. I'm converting to a wing from a jacket BCD. I use 12lb. My new plate is 6lb, and I've ordered two XS pockets for my lower tank strap. I figure I would but 3lb on each side to trim me up. The wing is a 32lb HOG. I'm really excited about this new system, but somewhat concerned about not being able to dump my weights when/if needed. I'm pretty close to neutral with the 12lb, if not a little positive. I'm pretty cheap so I'm going to look for something if, necessary (two more XS pouches for the back of belt) I just want something to trim me face up on the surface.

Thanks for the ideas and responses. I should of mention I use Al80s when we dive the lake. TS&M, I agree the few lbs negative should not affect my ability to swim to the surface in an emergency. However, it is more of a safety protocol I feel I should adhere to. I do like the idea of ankle weights. I was thinking of adding male/female clips on my belt somehow and just clipping in one end of the ankle weight.

Happy diving,

'bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom