Dive Boat Essentials - Survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dugur13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
At my work we are looking to order a new dive boat and in the process trying to consider all the essential features it should have. Based on your experiences, what features are key? Furthermore, what are some other helpful/unique features you have found on divebaots that made you more comfortable or made operations more efficient and easy?
Thanks,
Doug

I have no direct help.. but others may be able to help more if you specify what size boat you are thinking about.... how many passengers, what sort of surf conditions are likely and possible in your intended service area.

Is it a live aboard or a day trip boat?

Again, I don't know what size boat you're talking about, but one of the things we had on the boats in Indonesia that I REALLY appreciated was electrical outlets for charging batteries while on board. These boats also had dry storage up above where the tanks were, so you could keep a towel dry and readily at hand when getting out of your gear. That was nice.

Well I'm sure you'll get lots of responses but definately a good big ladder and benches are key you'd be surprised how many boats I've been on with Shi**y ladders and benches. Dry compartments are nice tooo...

It's nice if the ladder has railings all the way up until the diver can stand onboard (or on the swim step).

Depending on the temp and overall weather conditions a large heated enclosed cabin makes the boat. In warm climates, a large shaded area also makes the boat. Warm fresh water wash down is worth every penny. Don't make seating too tight, no one wants to be a sardine. Plenty of grab rails are good. A raised fly bridge gettes the Skipper up high where he, or she, can see divers in the water and makes more room on the boat. A flush deck makes the crew happy at the end of the day.
Where, when, how big, ect would help a lot to provide more details.

On the ladder, mono pole ladders seem to work better, for me anyway. Fins can be left on that way.

Here in Queensland,Australia -- BY LAW -- you must have a readily accessible Type 1 PFD for all passengers on board, a V Sheet, an EPIRB, 4 flares (2 red, 2 orange), 3 parachute flares, fire extinguisher, pumping devices, anchor, navigation devices, an oxy viva and perhaps soon a defibrilator.

The most important thing is also a commercially qualified skipper and a commercially surveyed vessel.

All these are mandatory before a dive vessel can put to sea -- however, we have had to learn some lessons the hard way. On a recent dive holiday in Vanuatu I noticed the dive boat had very few of these items as well as overloaded vessels.

Back
Top Bottom