Dive Boat Sinking Traps 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
It says they didn't have time to get a mayday off, and I guess did not have any other means to signal the emergency. All 11 survived...

From BBC News - Diver rescued from Lowestoft sea feels lucky to be alive
Ian Meers was one of 11 people to be saved by a passing lifeboat after their dive boat had started to sink. "A few big waves had swamped us at the back and they were getting a bit heavy, and it just tipped," he said.
"Everyone was trapped in one way or another - I was in the wheelhouse with two of the other guys - it was very frightening."
Mr Meers said it was lucky that they were less than a mile off the coast in Lowestoft, Suffolk. "It all happened so quick, we couldn't get a mayday off, so we could have been bobbing around for hours," he said.
"It wouldn't have been so bad if we were kitted up, but we only had our undersuits and things on. We would have been cold and that would have been a whole different story."
Mr Meers said the people who were trapped in the wheelhouse tried unsuccessfully to break the windows.
Eventually one of them swam underwater and led the way to safety.

They were only in the water for a few minutes before crew from a Lowestoft lifeboat, which was returning from an exercise, came to the rescue.
"They're unlucky in the fact the boat sunk but lucky that we happened to be there when it happened," said John Fox, coxswain mechanic for the RNLI.
"We saw the vessel as we were coming back in from exercise and thought it looked a bit low in the water.
"We'd only been there seconds and the thing went down."
Mr Fox said those who were trapped in the wheelhouse were "remarkably calm and brave".
"They're all divers so used to the water, but not in such circumstances. They were in there for a few minutes.
"I think it was fate that we just happened to be there when the boat did sink."

Last edited:
The only thing that would make it better would be video from the RNLI. What fortune they have having one of the best trained outfits pretty much on scene.

I don't know how cold the water is in the English Channel, but I think it's pretty chilly, dry suit diving - and they were in their undergarments: "we only had our undersuits and things on" I don't think they would have lasted long had that Lifeboat not noticed them so soon, even if they managed to stay afloat, "bobbing around for hours."

I am surprised that a boat of that size didn't have a PLB that activates as soon as it hits water.

I don't know how cold the water is in the English Channel, but I think it's pretty chilly, dry suit diving - and they were in their undergarments: "we only had our undersuits and things on" I don't think they would have lasted long had that Lifeboat not noticed them so soon, even if they managed to stay afloat, "bobbing around for hours."

10-12 minutes til corpsicles, most likely. Admittedly, I haven't been in THAT part of the Atlantic, but I've been in the part that hates you for being warm blooded and wants you to die.

I am surprised that a boat of that size didn't have a PLB that activates as soon as it hits water.

It is weird. They should have an EPIRB on there.

Good thing their drysuits weren't half on, too, it seems. Very lucky souls.

Back
Top Bottom