Dive briefings-Strong currents.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happened to Katie?? I'm new to scuba diving, so I am being as careful as I can be.

Curious.......
Nique

FreeFloat once bubbled...
First dive for me post-certification was on a charter off Brockville, onto a wrecked upside-down schooner sitting on a ledge at 45-60'or so (local divers will know which wreck I mean)

Everyone else on the boat professed a familiarity with the site, but I, being the unabashed newbie, approached the charter boat captain for a site briefing.

I was told there was "a little current - it's slight, you may not really notice it" or statements to that effect, and only after I asked specifically whether to expect current. Only because I had freedived a site further upriver in fairly good current earlier that year.

Well the current I encountered on this particular wreck site was not exactly to flagpole standards - but was certainly "noticeable". I would guesstimate it at about 2 knots. It's a long story, but I burned through a third of my tank just getting 200' upstream.....

I don't really fault the charter boat captain, but can only imagine what I might have felt like had I not thought to ask that specific question........

Actually, you wouldn't be able to swim against 2 knots of current ... that's a moderate drift dive. Most experienced, reasonably-fit divers can barely manage to make headway in 1 knot of current ... and even then only for short periods of time.

We dive in currents a lot out here in Puget Sound, and I've learned a visual cue ... when the fish are trying to swim upstream and still going backwards, it's time to call the dive ... :wacko:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
Actually, you wouldn't be able to swim against 2 knots of current ... that's a moderate drift dive. Most experienced, reasonably-fit divers can barely manage to make headway in 1 knot of current ... and even then only for short periods of time.

Well, perhaps I've overestimated its speed somewhat - As a sailor I've gotten reasonably good at guesstimating windspeeds in knots, and fair at boatspeeds less than 12 knots (ie sailboats not powerboats). I can see it will take some 'tweaking' for me to ba able to judge current.

Where buddy and I were swimming were actually over around and through underwater shoals and rock formations which were causing quite a few swirls, diversions, and eddies. In the more open areas the current was travelling pretty quickly. I know that if I wanted to make any headway at all I had to work pretty hard.

Yes the wreck I was diving was considered a drift dive in the best of times - at the worst of times it isn't even considered for diving.

Back
Top Bottom