Dive Cancun from Cruise Ship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I realize the better diving is in Cozumel, but if you were going to be in Cancun for 9 hours, would you dive and where?

I was on a Royal Carribean ship in June and booked with RC. Sand Dollar was the dive operator and they did a good job.

Nine hours is more than enough time to get a two tank dive at one of my favorite places to dive.

Sam :dazzler1:

I just got back from Coz. Wife (non-diver) and I were on our 20 year anniversary cruise. I was hesitant to do the two tank boat dive and leave her on her own that long...I did manage a beach dive from the national park there. My point is this dive was NOT advertised by the ship and I kind of stumbled on it. Got one dive in, validated all the "DIVE COZUMEL" shirts I bought and it was so easy and so beautiful...just me and the guide. Literally stepped off the beach and onto the reef...no boat hassles, crowds, rough seas, cost was $40. Worked some great reefs, saw barracuda, lobster, huge tarpon, hundreds of tropical fish, hell even cannon lying around on the bottom...okay they were probably hauled in, but they were authentic iron guns...not the fakes like you see in the Bahamas. if you're short on time and looking for a dive, cancun might have something like that. Wife saw how excited I was and is looking at cheap flight packages back so I can boat dive.

Sam308:
I was on a Royal Carribean ship in June and booked with RC. Sand Dollar was the dive operator and they did a good job.

Nine hours is more than enough time to get a two tank dive at one of my favorite places to dive.

Sam :dazzler1:

Hi Sam:

We're crusing on the Norwegian Sea which does have a excursion dive from Coz, but not from Cancun (which is the last stop on the way back to Houston). The boat docks at 8:00 a.m. I would have to disembark after all the excursion folks and I don't think I can make a 9:00 a.m. dive. I would have to be back at the dock around 4:00 p.m. so I'm not sure I could make an afternoon dive.

http://www.aquaworld.com.mx
Aquaworld has an 11:00 a.m. dive for Discover Scuba and offered a dive with a private DM on that boat. They go to a 30 ft. local reef.

Does anyone have any experience with Aquaworld?

NOVIZWHIZ:
I just got back from Coz. Wife (non-diver) and I were on our 20 year anniversary cruise. I was hesitant to do the two tank boat dive and leave her on her own that long...I did manage a beach dive from the national park there. My point is this dive was NOT advertised by the ship and I kind of stumbled on it. Got one dive in, validated all the "DIVE COZUMEL" shirts I bought and it was so easy and so beautiful...just me and the guide. Literally stepped off the beach and onto the reef...no boat hassles, crowds, rough seas, cost was $40. Worked some great reefs, saw barracuda, lobster, huge tarpon, hundreds of tropical fish, hell even cannon lying around on the bottom...okay they were probably hauled in, but they were authentic iron guns...not the fakes like you see in the Bahamas. if you're short on time and looking for a dive, cancun might have something like that. Wife saw how excited I was and is looking at cheap flight packages back so I can boat dive.

That sounds great. Are you referring to the Chankanaab National Park? I'm not sure that Cancun per se has anything like this. The cruise ship offers a snorkel trip on Cancun on their private catamaran. I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

MSilvia:
No experience with aquaworld, but I had a great time diving with Xtabay when I was in Cozumel on the Norwegian Sea. http://www.xtabaydivers.com

I'll check them out because we're definitely diving on Cozumel (our first Port of Call). We're also diving on Belize and Roatan. Since you've been on that ship, is there any point trying to dive from Cancun which is the last Port before returning to Houston?

Thanks,

Susan

We couldn't visit Cancun on the return trip as a result of high seas, so I don't know. We planned to dive at every port of call though.

I have not been to Cancun yet myself, but will be taking the NCL Dream on Nov 7, arriving in Cancun Nov 12. The Dream isn't scheduled to dock there unil 9:00, but I think I found a solution. Check out: http://www.solobuceo.com/default1.htm They have a two tank dive that leaves at 10:30 for only $60. At that price, how bad can it be? Also check out: http://www.mantadivers.com/en/ They are located right where the ships' tenders dock. I have e-mailed them for their schedule, and am waiting for a reply.

I also found a link with some pretty good maps to help orient yourself: http://www.docancun.com/maps.htm

I will be cruising with my non-diving wife. I am still looking for a dive shop in Coz that can fit the ship's schedule. In Roatan I will be using the Cruise Ship operator (Anthony's) so I can be closer to my wife who is doing another activity with Anthony's . In Belize we are going cave tubing. Can't wait.

Happy Cruising!

I just reserved a spot with Manta Divers. They have a boat that goes out at 10:00 and returns around 1:30. They are located on the same dock that the tenders dock at. The cost is $65 for a two tank trip, and they did not require a credit card to hold my spot. I am not sure if this is normal practice or if the owner did me a favor after voicing my concerns of possible cruise ship delays, etc.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom