Dive computer battery and o-ring spec's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all, I posted this on another thread before finding this one..

I have 4 Aeris computers (2-AI and 2 XR1-nx). All with same o-ring and battery. I want to buy the battery hatch o-rings in bulk.

I believe I need Buna 026 o-rings. For mental comfort can someone confirm this? I found them at Granger, is there is a better place to buy these?

I love the computers, but they are no longer made and I dont like buying eBay kits for $20 a pop.

Many thanks!
Heya Sandy, I can't confirm your o-ring size, but I can say that I've had some bad luck (VERY, as in, flooded comps) with o-rings that were the right size, but the wrong material. Usually too stiff.

However, I have had very good success with ebay seller uc29 from the UK. Not cheap like the bulk Czech o-ring supplier, but still far cheaper than anywhere else I've seen, and they're specifically for our dive computers.

Thats my fear. I called an LDS who said buna-n was the material to use and that silicone lube worked with them. I am hoping for a second opinion to confirm. I am pretty confident on the size I need. I dont have a lotta love for the LDS’s. And I want to get away from buying “kits”

Heya Sandy, I can't confirm your o-ring size, but I can say that I've had some bad luck (VERY, as in, flooded comps) with o-rings that were the right size, but the wrong material. Usually too stiff.

However, I have had very good success with ebay seller uc29 from the UK. Not cheap like the bulk Czech o-ring supplier, but still far cheaper than anywhere else I've seen, and they're specifically for our dive computers.

my fear

Thats my fear. I called an LDS who said buna-n was the material to use and that silicone lube worked with them. I am hoping for a second opinion to confirm. I am pretty confident on the size I need. I dont have a lotta love for the LDS’s. And I want to get away from buying “kits”

my fear
Silicone grease works with everything, I have no idea what you or your LDS is on about. Someone is very confused.
FYI, the entire and ONLY point of silicone grease is to keep the o-rings from drying out. Nothing else. It's not an axel with moving parts (basically, the opposite).

A LDS is only as good as its staff; there's nothing wrong with LDSs, you can get some amazing staff with decades of experience (and hopefully, regularly updated knowledge too) - just as much as you can get sales staff who don't know their *ss from their elbow.

@SandyUT Coincidentally I just picked up a pack of 50 orings from Grainger for my Aeris xr1 and xr1nx today. 026 is correct and I use the 70 duro with a light film of silicone to help with the install. I put the oring in the housing first and then push the battery window down into that. I think the instructions say to put the oring on the battery window first.

@SandyUT Coincidentally I just picked up a pack of 50 orings from Grainger for my Aeris xr1 and xr1nx today. 026 is correct and I use the 70 duro with a light film of silicone to help with the install. I put the oring in the housing first and then push the battery window down into that. I think the instructions say to put the oring on the battery window first.
Nice, what material did you buy? LDS said Buna was the material for all scuba orings. but earlir in theis thread folks talked about other materials and I go ta little confused.

026 is the size I was planning on from research along with 70 duro.

What's confusing is that sometimes we call it buna-n and sometimes nitrile. The Grainger computer shows it as buna-n/nitrile. I'm used to calling it nitrile because I worked with water mains and we specified "nitrile" gaskets rather than neoprene if we were designing through potentially contaminated soils. (old gas station areas)

Anyway, I stick with the nitrile, duro 70 because I know they work in my xr computers. I've found the install trickier with harder orings and don't see a reason to try silicone or anything fancier. Don't pull the oring through your fingers when you apply the silicone grease - I "think" you can stretch them if you do.

I try to test the computer in a pool before diving with a new battery. I've done this just by tying a string on the computer and dropping it in the hotel pool.

Unless I have missed in the 19 pages... batteries for the following Uwatec computers are all the same:

• Uwatec Aladin Pro (grey)
  • Uwatec Aladin Nitrox (blue)
  • Uwatec Aladin Sport (black)
  • Uwatec Ultra
  • Uwatec Sport Plus

Battery required - PCB Pin
LS145003PFRP is a SAFT version - there are others - ensure you get the correct PCB pin version; you need the single +ve and double -ve version. Cut the pins so that they are shorter and then tin them with lead prior to installing

These computers are all oil filled (white mineral oil) and require the batteries to be firstly unsoldered and then soldered in. Ensure that there are no air bubbles in the computers when refilling as this could affect the depth accuracy.

Once the battery has been replaced the dive computer will display "ERR" - a simple reset using another 3V battery is required across terminals A & B - keep flashing across the terminals.
Heya Snake...
I have a question about the mineral oil. I'm presently replacing the battery in my UWATEC Aladin Pro (the grey one) and a video I saw showed "Liquid Paraffin" as the internal fluid.I know it's mineral oil but all I seem to come up with is "Lamp Oil". Since I'm not all that familiar with lamps that burn oil, is this the same fluid or is it refined differently or have additional additives to burn correctly in a lamp? I don't want to fill my computer with a fluid that's going to dissolve it internally. Any assistance is appreciated. TIA ... JP

I believe the Cressi Newton, Drake, Goa, Giotto, and Leonardo all use the same size o-ring which should be a size 026 70shore.

-Z

Edited to strike previous statement and to state that size 026 would be too large for this application based on the o-ring land measurements provided in the following post.

Hi you mentioned that the Cressi Newton, Drake, Goa, Giotto, and Leonardo all use the same size o-ring. Is this correct?

You crossed out the statemen but that was only because of the wrong O-ring size correct?

Thanks

Brian

Hi you mentioned that the Cressi Newton, Drake, Goa, Giotto, and Leonardo all use the same size o-ring. Is this correct?

You crossed out the statemen but that was only because of the wrong O-ring size correct?

Thanks

Brian

Yes...to my knowledge the computers listed all use the same o-ring size.

See posts 109 through 113 for more information on the correct o-ring size.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom