Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THarrison01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am new to diving and looking at computers. I'm looking at the Suunto EON steel. Is that a good computer? And is there any other you would suggest?

This is a question with many answers from many people with many perspectives. Most dive computers can do the basics. Some options:

1.) Console vs. wrist unit. Some people like wrist units to glance at their wrist. Of the wrist versions, there are watch style/size options (that can be hard on aging eyes), puck style (a little bigger), and from what I've read the EON is pretty big.

2.) Air-integrated or not. AI gives you SPG style function on your computer screen. If your computer logs dives, it may let the computer record your start & stop pressures, give you a rough 'air time remaining' calculation, and show you your gas consumption rate (SAC). If you use a wrist unit, this means a wireless transmitter attached to your regulator 1st stage. Some people find AI a nice convenience, and appreciate the added logged data without having to do anything but download to their computer later. Some people consider AI an over-priced useless fluff feature, and some don't trust the reliability of the wrist unit's connection to wireless transmitters, though many of us are fine with it.

3.) PC Download capability or not. Whether wireless or via a cable (often those cables are very expensive), some computers can download logs to your computer, showing your data, your dive profile, etc... This capability often adds cost.

4.) On some computers, wireless transmitters and PC download kits are added cost options, and on some, they're included. An A.I. console computer doesn't need a wireless transmitter.

5.) User interface is a big deal. I, too, love the Cobalt 2. In a nutshell, the newer, graphic interface computers are often much more intuitive to operate, but some wrist units take a heavy toll on battery life vs. older LCD style options.

6.) Cost - some people resent paying a few hundred extra for 'fluff' features, and some like their fluff!

The Suunto EON Steel is an expensive computer. If that's no problem, you may have a fine choice. I haven't used one; you can find threads talking about them. If you want to compare it to other wrist units, you might look at the SeaBear H3 (no AI yet; hopefully coming), the upcoming LiquiVision Omnix (not out yet; I'd avoid the older Lynx due to battery life concerns I've read about), and of course the Shearwater Perdix (lacks AI; a favorite of many technical divers, but used for recreational diving, too).

My questions about the EON Steel, if I were looking into it, would be how intuitive is the user interface (e.g.: do you need to consult the manual when you want to change date, time, nitrox mix, etc..., or is it easy to figure out), how do you recharge or swap batteries, and how many dives is a charge good for?

Richard.

P.S.: My input assumes recreational diving, not technical diving.

@drrich2 made an excellent post with some good info. Do you have any more info about what type of diving that you're interested in or will do, how technical, what your budget is like, etc.? It will help folks narrow it down for you.

I am just going to be rec diving no deeper than 60ft. In about 70°F water. With a max budget of $1,000 for the computer plus transmitter. I'm a techy guy and like all the bells and whistles.

Okay, but since these threads serve as references for others, too, I'll point out Deepblu's Cosmiq wrist computer, which I learned of from a post by tbone1004 in another thread. Neat looking option; I don't see AI offered, but this computer seems to be drawing some attention on the forum. 'One to watch...'

Richard.

P.S.: A quick online search suggests your budget won't buy a Suunto Eon Steel without the transmitter, much less with. Look how cheap that Cosmiq is! Much as I like A.I., I'd be tempted. And downloading wirelessly to a smart phone? Cool beans.

[I am just going to be rec diving no deeper than 60ft. In about 70°F water.]

You don't even need a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom