Dive depth logger with arduino

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is the status right now...

everything is working now i need to integrate the logging feature on the SD card which is not easy because i have the Sensor and the SD card on the same bus because they share the same comunication protocol.. i added a 74hc125 to use it as a chip select for the sensor because it does not have and i will have to overrride the SS on the spi hardware for the SD card...

thats the challenge...

i will try this week to implement that..

---------- Post added ----------

depth logger pic.jpg

So i came in today after work, wife was out and it was an excellent time to work after playing some Diablo 3 and leveling my wizard.. so i got it to work and log a TXT file...

i am adding a video and a picture..

i still have quite a lot to do, i need to do the math to transfer the pressure to Feet and also add a Real Time Clock(RTC) so i can log the date and time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZsiV52b0B0&feature=youtu.be

i am still working on the project i finally reached lvl 60 on diablo so now.. i need to get this done for a test dive asap...

what do you think so far?

i am still working on the project i finally reached lvl 60 on diablo so now.. i need to get this done for a test dive asap...

what do you think so far?

Diablo or Arduino? Arduino is way cool! Interested if you will post details of how you got the logger to work...and curious how you will add a RTC.

I want to add the rtc but I may run out of RAM on the arduino, I will give it a try.. I already order the otherbox waterproof case... Expected and update soon..

Your best bet is to create a pressure transfer chamber sealed from the rest of the device. The easiest way would be to put a hole in the otter box, glue in a threaded pvc adaptor like this one: 435-003 - Spears 435-003 - 3/8" PVC Schedule 40 Female Adapter, and thread in whatever assembly you come up with. I think the easiest solution will be to use some thick latex from a pair of gloves as a diaphragm or something like this: Type 330 Flush Mini-Diaphragm Seal, All Welded, 1" Male NPT  . If you were to take smaller piece of pipe and squeeze the glove in place you might be okay with some silicone sealing the gaps.

Hope that helps.

So this is my second version of the electronics and the software... a little cleaner...

theproblem is that i am close to empty the space on the arduino. :)

but i think it is working kind of good...

what do you think i can do better on the UI?

if you cannot see the video is because it is still in processing stage in youtube...

[video=youtube_share;NMqxVUCTXeI]http://youtu.be/NMqxVUCTXeI[/video]

Hi,

i have been reading up on this and i think it's completely awesome!
For some years now i've been thinking of making my own dive computer (not to replace my current uwatec Smart Z, but just as an extra). Mostly to see if it can be done.
I have been tinkering with the arduino platform for some time, i'm a programmer by occupation, so my main focus has been on the software side of things, but i've been building up knowledge of the external parts and basic electronics.

My biggest problem has been in finding local (Dutch) suppliers for most of the components used, you have some awesome stores in the US that i do not have access to here.

Anyway, long story short: Are you willing to set up something collaberative on github or some similar platform? To share both the source and the schematics? I would be interested in extending this platform with tissue saturation calculations which, luckily, are readily available now.

I'm also looking at piezo switches as in the Weikamp open source computer to be able to operate the device underwater.

Anyway, great work so far! Hopefully you'll bring this to completion!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom