"Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" Cable TV Show on Charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I thought I'd let everyone know that my 30-min public access cable TV show, "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill," will be running on Tuesdays at 8:30PM on Riverside/Norco Charter Communications Cable Channel 33. I don't know if any of you reside in their service area, but if you do... it's a great cure for insomnia!

The show features video highlights of dives within a given period (usually about a week). You may see angel sharks and lingcod off Ship Rock; scythe butterflyfish and schooling black croaker at the Empire Lanmding ("West") Quarry; giant sea bass at Gator Rock ("Italian Gardens"); etc.

Most dive highlights are from Catalina dive sites. However, now that the show, which has been running on Catalina Cable TV for about five years, is on the mainland I will try to feature more mainland dive sites to broaden its appeal. Shows also include dive highlights from the Sea of Cortez, Florida, the western Caribbean (Belize/Honduras), Guadalupe Island off Mexico (great white sharks), etc.

If you see any errors in episodes that you watch (and there are a few), please don't hesitate to notify me by PM or e-mail (bushing@post.harvard.edu) so I can correct them in future revisions of the existing episodes. I want the information to be as accurate as possible.

Fellow diver James Trotter of Charter was instrumental in making this happen after a casual conversation out on the King Neptune a while back. Hopefully the show will begin airing in other Charter service areas, or non-competing cable providers.

Thought I'd post this to let you know that an interview with dive buddy Heather and myself, along with some of my underwater footage, will be airing on The Weather Channel tonight and at the future dates identified below. It is part of a 30-min segment on Catalina Island. The focus is on diving our kelp forests, but there will be other segments on bug hunting.

The Catalina segment will run at 7:30 PM ET and re-air at 11:30 ET as follows: Thursday, October 4; Friday, October 12; and Tuesday, October 16.

For those in SoCal, my "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" dive highlights cable TV show premiered last night on Charter Communications cable on the mainland. I haven't had any feedback yet from the airing, but it will run every Tuesday at 8:30 PM (prime time!). As I was writing this, I got a call from another contact at Charter Media's "on demand" programming saying they were interested in running 6-8 of my commercial DVD's to do a market test. My contact there is a member of SB, but I didn't want to identify him without his permission. If there is sufficient viewership, they will then seek sponsors for the show and revenue share with me. In addition they want to prepare a press release that will be sent to schools for possible application in marine biology and similar classes.

Will "fortune" follow "fame?" My creditors certainly hope so!

At Charter Media, we are looking forward to making the videos available OnDemand. We will plan on taking some of Dr. Bill's footage and make a 30 second commercial to air across many cable networks promoting that the dive videos are available for viewing by tuning to Charter Communications' channel 998.

I will keep all of you up to date as to when the program will begin to air. We plan to run the program for a 2-3 month time frame as a trial to see what kind of viewership we can get. We are hoping that all of you and your freinds will tune in to give us the viewership needed to keep the programs running thoughout the year.

Pass the word along. The success of this depends completely on the number of viewers we can reach! So be ready with your remotes to tune in to Diving Dry with Dr. Bill.

Thanks Dr. Bill for sending the footage! Great work, keep diving!

Congratulations! Hope I can get my tail home to watch that!

BTW, I expect you to use a portion of your first revenue sharing check to come dive with me in Ohio since you're skipping town when I come to Catalina :wink: Better get that deal quick while the water is still warm :eyebrow:
Ber :lilbunny:

GREAT NEWS DR. BILL!!

I hope to see some of this footage and yelling out, "Hey, I know that guy, sortta!"

Seriously, this is tremendously good news!

GREAT NEWS DR. BILL!!

I hope to see some of this footage and yelling out, "Hey, I know that guy, sortta!"

Seriously, this is tremendously good news!

Hey! I'm going diving with the old man one day, when I get my *utt out to see California again (while it's there...) :D
-You promised me that Dr Bill! :)

Not one to enjoy being left out, and not living in Avalon or subscribing to Charter, I called Cox Communications Channel in Orange County and asked for them to carry the show, too.

If you're an OC diver and would like to see Dr. Bill's excellent videography (I know it's excellent because I cheated and bought some episodes on DVD) go to Cox Communications - Cable, High Speed Internet and Telephone services in Orange County and ask them to carry "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill". As my wife says, "It's like having a talking aquarium on the TV".

Glad you revealed your identity, Chaz. I sure appreciate your efforts on this. I have a package with all my commercial DVD's ready to send you tomorrow. Plan to be creating an entirely new series of videos on Kelp Forest Ecology starting this winter.

Kompressor... I haven't forgotten. Joel, thanks again for your kind words. Thanks as well to you, Randy.

Warm water in Ohio? By the time I earn enough to fly there, the quarries will have ice a foot thick over them!

Warm water in Ohio? By the time I earn enough to fly there, the quarries will have ice a foot thick over them!

Hey, I'm hoping for a quick payout for you :D BTW, the quarry was 72 degrees all the way to 30 feet Sunday and I was told it's nearly 50 degrees at 60 feet which is unheard of! It's been a hot dry summer here.

I saw the program on Weather Channel! Now I'm SUPER excited about coming to Catalina next month! You probably don't want to be near me when I'm bouncing around like a crazed rabbit anyway :dork2:
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom