DIVE FLAG--One man's involvement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
DIVE FLAG-- One man's involvement

For a concise history of the divers flag it is suggested that you read "Legends of diving; "The dive flag" @ www.portagequarry.com" by Dr, Samuel Miller,111

There is bogus version of the dive flags history presented by "Fat Boy scuba" ( Fat Boy?he is certainly was not and LA County U/W Instructor!! )

The recognized and acclaimed father of the dive flag was Ted Nixon from the inland water of Michigan who passed away several years ago. At that time a pretender came out of the wood work and claimed recognition as the "father of the dive flag"...I suspect that he did have something to do with the flag and Its development, However there is no mention of the pretender's name in any dive flag documentation in my file which is approximately 2 feet tall, or in any litigation which has involved the dive flag.

The original "recommended" official size was four units high, five units wide and a one unit wide diagonal stripe. The original and long forgotten color was international ( Neon or blaze) orange but after a very short time the manufacture's settled on red with a white diagonal stripe. Now it is rather common to see all sorts of variations of the background colors, size proportions and especially the size of the stripe.

I was involved in the flags development and acceptance both locally, nationally and internationally in the late 1950s via Skin Diver Magazine and conducted considerable correspondence with concerned divers through out the US.

In early 1960 a diver was struck by a boat at Long point, Catalina Island while resting on his float which displayed the then very new dive flag. (You can read the 2 part 6 page article in a early edition of the old LA County Underwater News)This was the very first accident of a diver flying a diver's flag.

In 1962 I was summoned as an "expert witness" for the prosecution. It was an awesome responsibility since the dive flag was only a few years old and never been tested in a court of law and I alone had to defend it.

We prevailed -- Under then existing maritime law, which responsibility is established by percentages, the victim Mr. Toso was declared 5% negligent for being in the water and the boat operator, Mr Burns was 95% neglect for not recognizing a diver displaying the "flag" and running over and seriously injuring him. The judge awarded Mr. Toso $132,000.00 in damages - a huge sum in the early 1960s.

This one litigation in a court of law was the defining case establishing the rights and privileges of a diver flying the then almost unknown red and white flag; as recognized the symbol of recreational diving.

Since that initial appearance I have been in evolved in a number of other litigations and consultations regarding the divers flag, some of the more significant and interesting evolvements were as follows.

In the 1960s "Sea Craft" of 3 A Church Street, Wilmington, Massachusetts was marketing after market items and almost as an after thought on the back cover a selection of "Divers Jewelry." Among the items they offered was the very first "Back Plate." Bob Rutherford the founder of the Aquatic Center in Newport beach, California attached the back plate to the US Divers 44 CuFt SCUBA cylinders to create the distinctive Orange County twin 44s." ( see; Legends of diving "The Sea Sabres signaling system" @www.portagequarry.com.")

After a few short years Sea Craft was acquired by the then giant and very aggressive New England Divers, of Beverly Massachusetts. They expand the line including giving the jewelry portion more prominence in the catalog. Soon the jewelry section comprised a major part of the catalog.

As with all things there is a begin middle and end. New England divers had expanded to much too fast almost faced bankruptcy. They sold or closed most their shops located throughout the US (in California one was in LA and One in OC) In the process they sold the accessory line to one company and the divers jewelry line to a New York City firm

Approximately 20 years ago I received a frantic call from Dick Bonin the founder and at that time president of SCUBA Pro. Apparently the jewelry portion which had remained dormant for so many years came to life. The present owner deduced that since the jewelry featured the divers flag they were the sole proprietor of the rights to the diver's flag and had hired a hot shot NYC lawyer to represent them, in a definitive litigation against a SCUBA Pro dive shop "Universal divers" for using the flag on their letterhead and on a street sign and New England Bell Telephone for advertising the flag in their books. A quick review of my file and some reproduced pages from my file and Skin Diver Magazine determined that the dive flag had been in existence a full five years prior to the establishment of Sea Craft and their production of divers jewelry containing the divers flag.

To my knowledge The red and white divers flag has never been accepted as an official flag in the US or any where in the world but rather as a "recognized flag of recreational diving activity." Like Coca cola and Mac Donalds the red and white divers flag is a pure American contribution and since it introduction in 1957 it has had world wide recognition and acceptance as an unofficial recognized flag of recreational diving through out the world.

However some states do have laws that recognize the Red and White flag as a symbol of diving activity and laws governing its use and method of display. It is strongly suggested that each diver reading this be familiar with their state law. Dive Training Magazine printed a state by state synopsis of dive flag laws several years ago. Do to the article's age the various state laws may or may be currecntly be applicable..

Huge fines? To establish a violation of law requires a competent witness or resultant damages. Buzzing a diver would be difficult to establish.. Injury would be positive proof, but then it would require arrest of the violator and long term litigation in a court of law. Mr Burns did not stop to give aid to Mr Toso.. He and his boat were discovered several hours later tucked way back into a cove near the west end, where he was apprehended.

There are some who have an abundance of testosterone and a lack of grey matter who proclaim that they would point or even fire their spear guns at a boat that came, in their estimation, to close for comfort. At that time when they point or fire the gun they would be guilty of a crime of "assault with a deadly weapon." There was a case in the then bucolic community of Goat Hill, now the up scale city of Costa Mesa in which two less that desirable citizens began drinking and as the night wore on began arguing. One picked up a spear gun and shot the victim who was taken to the local Hoag hospital in Newport Beach and patched up. They returned to their trailer on Goat Hill and continued drinking - and arguing. A few hours later the victim lay dead with an Arbalete spear shaft in bedded in his body.

In the trial the defense was that a spear gun was a toy and certainly not a dangerous weapon. The prosecution claimed it was a very dangerous weapon and should be used with caution and only in the water. Bob Ruetherford, (see Legends of Diving) who was Mr. Orange County diver and my neighbor was summoned as an expert witness. He and I and others discussed and experimented as to how to best demonstrate the power of a spear gun and that a spear gun was indeed a dangerous weapon and not a toy. We set up a chair on which was placed a series of pine boards, the Arbalete was loaded fired which split several of the boards in bedding the point deep into the last board.

This was duplicated in a court of law at which time the spear gun was identified as a dangerous weapon. The perpetrator was found guilty and sent off to spend the rest of his life behind bars.

I am aware that there has been three local divers, possibly more, who were hit by a boat, Daryl Toso, who sustained injuries to his arm and upper torso, Bob Ruetherford, who's leg was severely was injured and the famed competitive spear fisherman Bob Manaki, (A LB Neptune as well as his son)whose injuries prohibited him from participating as member of the LB Neptunes team representing the US in the world spear fishing competition. It is interesting to note all were participating in Spear fishing at the time of their accidents.

Most recently on January 10 ,2009, 26 year old Rob Murphy was spear fishing off shore in open water of Stuart Florida when he was struck by a boat amputating both his feet. The 38 foot boat driven by an ER doctor did not stop to offer aid, rather the doctor chose to call his attorney who was waiting at the dock for him along with the authorities. This case is still pending and it is predicted that the the come can have a very pronounced effect on the future acceptance and displaying of the divers flag both in Florida and through out the worlds diving community

In the late 1950s, locally in SoCal, we divers created a poster of a diving fatality; A person who had been struck and killed by a boat. Horrible horrible eye catching poster which I still have the only remaining original; many years ago I a copy I shared with Dale Schecker of CDN and the SoCal historian Patrick Smith for their historical files and not to be shared in any way with the current diving population.. It was posted in most all marinas and dock in the Southland-- it got the word across. How about those of you who frequent the docks? Have you produced a poster about the dive flag?

( I know the answer-- NO! will you? the answer is also NO! Will you complain YES! )

About 1965 I wrote the description of the divers flag for the US Coast Guard auxiliary which was also incorporated into "Chapmans." I must have been too verbose since my submission was reduced appreciably to any resemblance to what I wrote and what was published in these documents is purely coincidental.

In the mid 1960s I was honored by Skin Diver magazine as their very first "Guest Editor." The title of my work was "Signpost to safety-- the divers flag." In the article I urged all divers to proudly display the new symbol of our sport, the divers flag; on the bumpers of their automobiles, at their work place; on club jackets and if dressed formally in their lapels... and they did! There was an almost immediate response to my call, for Dive flags seemed to sprout up like weeds, now it seems they are as rare as weeds in Martha Stewart's garden

I would also suggest-- urge -- that you publicize the divers by proudly display the flag on your vehicles, on you boats and on your floats.. Displaying a red and white divers flag is no assurance that you will not have an accident and sufferer the pain and its debilitating effects but if you do have and accident you certainly have recourse as established in a Long Beach California court of law fifty years ago by the Toso vs Burns litigation.

That is all I have to say.. Read & heed..

copywright 2010, Dr Samuel Miller

Lt Dave Bingham of the Florida FWC received the Blue Wild's first annual award this weekend. Lt Bingham has been a primary force for dive flag awareness and enforcement in the state of Florida. His efforts got the governor to declare a dive flag awareness week.
It started at the Blue Wild spearfishing seminar about four years ago. He was giving a talk about rules and regulations. When he got to the dive flag part he asked who had a close call with a boat while diving, almost every hand in the room went up. From that point on, he started campaigning for the dive flag

YouTube - Diver Down Flag Program

If you are a diver do your best to post links to this video and get the word out to various sites that have to do with boats, fishing and diving.

We fly both flags... but there are enough yahoo boaters who recognize neither (in some cases because they are too damned drunk to even recognize they are approaching a dive boat). I won't even go into the incidents where I've had rental outboards go right over my bed in our dive park which is roped off!

When diving off Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago, I was surprised to find we were required to tow a dive flag... but boat operators apparently weren't required to know what it meant.

The recognized and acclaimed father of the dive flag was Ted Nixon from the inland water of Michigan who passed away several years ago. At that time a pretender came out of the wood work and claimed recognition as the "father of the dive flag"...I suspect that he did have something to do with the flag and Its development, However there is no mention of the pretender's name in any dive flag documentation in my file which is approximately 2 feet tall, or in any litigation which has involved the dive flag.

what about Doc Dockery?

you seem to have left him out of your "history". :idk:

from diveflag.com Dive Flags

The now-familiar red-and-white dive flag was invented in the early 1950's by Denzel James "Doc" Dockery from Michigan.

Dockery was a tinker and entrepreneur. In 1953, he followed instructions published in Popular Science magazine for building his own scuba unit, and began experimenting with ways to make a living in the brand new sport.

In the course of his work, Dockery found that he needed a warning flag to keep boaters at a safe distance. Since Dockery had served in the U.S. Navy, he was familiar with the red signal flag that's commonly used to connote danger. The Navy's "bravo flag" is solid red. 1
Austrian National Flag

In order to make his flag distinctive, Dockery decided to make a modification. He asked his wife Ruth to sew a white stripe across the middle of it. They put their stripe horizontal, right down the center from left to right.

Unfortunately, there was a problem with their design. It was the national flag of Austria. They needed something else. A vertical white stripe was out since that's the Navy's numerical number 7 signal flag.
Number 7 Signal Flag

After doing their homework, they decided to make the stripe diagonal. Ruth sewed it from the upper-left corner to the lower-right corner. The dive flag, as we now know it, was born.
Dive Flag

Inventing a flag is one thing. Getting it used and recognized is another. Perhaps more important than his role in creating the dive flag was Dockery's evangelism for it. With the persistent tenacity of a good entrepreneur 2 Dockery began selling flags and promoting their use.

In 1956, Dockery's flag got a major boost. Ted Nixon from U.S. Divers started buying them from him and distributing them nationally. Nixon became so instrumental in the flag's widespread adoption that many people mistakenly credit Nixon with inventing the flag.

Another boost came from Skin Diver magazine. They mentioned Dockery's flag in a September 1957 editorial and asked their readers to send in their thoughts on the design. In February 1958, they declared the discussion closed, with the "Michigan Divers Flag" as the reader's choice. 3

In addition to promoting it among divers, Dockery worked to get the flag officially recognized in his home state of Michigan. He was successful, and Michigan became the first state in the union with a diver flag law. Now, thanks to what he started, the federal government and almost every U.S. state officially recognizes Dockery's flag as the official warning sign of a diver down.

Several years ago this was discussed in this thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/non-diving-related-stuff/159447-scuba-symbol-owned-anyone.html

Dockery even came on the board and posted that Ted was just a commissioned sales person for his company.

You were involved in that thread, but never replied after Doc posted. :idk:

Here are host posts.... I'll cut and past them here.

Sam: I have been trying to send you some pictures without success. I posted to a different thread to Mike and tried to send him pictures of Ted Nixon but failed there also. Post follows:

Mike, Doc Here, O.K. I'll give it a shot. Both pictures were taken about two days apart. It's at the I.M.A. boat show in Flint. About 1953 circa, but we displayed at that show for many years. My company was "Divers Supply Inc." which is now Vortex Spring Inc. soon to be merged with Vortex Innerspace Products Inc. It gets complicated. Ted worked for us after our first flag was discovered to be a flag of Austria and we changed ours to be the diagonal white stripe over a field of red. 5 incremants long, 4 increments wide with one increment white stripe diagonal from top left to bottom right. There were only about a dozen flages being used by the Pescadores club. I was working in a GM plant days and going to GMI nights. Running my little garage Dive shop and working for Etna Life and Marine insurance as a commercial Diver part time. Ted became a member of the club and worked part time as a sales rep. for US Divers and also worked for Divers Supply Inc. as a summer vendor at the "shanks gravel pit" Durand Michigan. His job was to rent Diving equipment, float tubes and fill tanks. When he went full time with US Divers after a couple of years he took our flag with him and sold them clear across the country. He got a 20% commision and did very well. We never tried to protect our creation only promote it. Ted had family problems and finally moved to California and I heard he filed bankruptcy. Doc (Sorry the pictures did not upload......) I'll post this anyway and try another way later, Time for a beer, Doc

Sam, Doc Dockery here. I'm new to the board and don't really know what I'm doing but I am trying to get this to you.

DocDockery53jpg.jpg

tednixon53jpg.jpg

Both pictures were taken about two days apart. It's at the I.M.A. boat show in Flint. About 1953 circa, but we displayed at that show for many years. My company was "Divers Supply Inc." which is now Vortex Spring Inc. soon to be merged with Vortex Innerspace Products Inc. It gets complicated. Ted worked for us after the first flag was discovered to be a flag of Austria and we changed ours to be the diagonal white stripe over a field of red. 5 incremants long, 4 increments wide with one increment white stripe diagonal from top left to bottom right. There were only about a dozen flages being used by the Pescadores club. I was working in a GM plant days and going to GMI nights. Running my little garage Dive shop and working for Etna Life and Marine insurance as a commercial Diver part time. Ted became a member of the club and worked part time as a sales rep. for US Divers and also worked for Divers Supply Inc. as a summer vendor at the "shanks gravel pit" Durand Michigan. His job was to rent Diving equipment, float tubes and fill tanks. When he went full time with US Divers after a couple of years he took our flag with him and sold them clear across the country. He got a 20% commision and did very well. We never tried to protect our creation only promote it. Ted had family problems and finally moved to California and I heard he filed bankruptcy. Ted was not an ardent diver but just wanted to be around us till his job with US Divers would make him a living. I heard some time later also that he had written an article in S.D.Mag. looking for a new flag design. Our flag just stuck and we quite making them in the early 60's to take care of our family and the five little dive shops we had in Michigan. We purchased the Vortex Spring property in 1972 and moved our Vortex Innerspace Products Plant and the whole family to Ponce de Leon, Fl. Got the Vortex Spring flowing and made more history. Ted played a big part in getting the flag known but he did not create it. Doc And Ruth Dockery

Last edited:
I) As I stated there is a pretender to the throne as the father of the diving flag...

2) My file is stored on a shelf in two plastic milk boxes (?.) It measures approximately 2-1/2 feet in length and contains documents only relating to the Dive Flag.

3) I begin collecting Skin diver magazines with their first copy in Vol 1 Nr 1 December 1951 and have collected and bound all issues of SDM- (there are Less than 20 complete collections of SDM in the world)- Along with about 15 other defunct magazines devoted to diving.

The editorial in September 1957 edition page 4,vol nr IV, number 9, consists of seven paragraphs. One of the paragraphs consisting of 2 sentences mentions Ted Nixon by name as the father of the dive flag...there is no mention of any one else.

4) I have yet to find any mention of Mr. Dockery in any domestic or foreign any magazine article related to the Dive flag.

5) In all the litigations and consultations I have been involved in regarding the dive flag I have never once heard his name mentioned.

6) There was considerable correspondence in SDM regarding the size, color, and design of the divers flag after the 1957 editorial...

7) I have had correspondence with Mr. Dockery. He has not produced any documents with his name on them or references to indicate that he had any involvement in the Red & White Dive Flag.

8) Therefore Ted Nixon is still the father of the dive flag.

9) Your turn;
Can you provide any other references about Mr. Dockery's involvement ?
(except for HIS article, as I understand, nailed to his out house door for modern late model tube sucking bubble blowers to
to read!)

did you even bother interviewing him? (even over the phone? :idk:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

E mail exchanges only...

There are many holes in Mr. Dockery's story, that are apparent to a dive historian.

There are no references to him any where in the small world of diving-- other than his autobiographical article nailed to his out house wall written after the death of Ted Nixon and never published.

Interesting ??

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom