Dive Gear Soooo confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't have to be one or the other - you can customize to your liking. For example my regular set-up includes Scuba Pro reg with Oceanic Slimline octo (on necklace), Dive Rite harness, OMS fins, Golem wing and plate, Pinnacle wetsuits, Scuba Pro booties, Zeagle pony reg., Suunto Vytec computer, etc. I know you are new to this - guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to purchase everything from one supplier. Look around.

You obviously don't read the catalogs. You have to have all the same brand and color coordinated on top of that if you expect to be one of the 'Beautiful People'

Right now we have narrowed it down to either Aqua Lung or ScubaPro.

They are both good brands, but as somebody else said, for simple recreational diving, almost anything that's sold will work reliably (liability considerations pretty much ensure that!) One real consideration is ease of service, .

Exactly right. Both are very solid and dependable, but access to good service can be an issue. Check that out locally.

My Gear consist of: Dive Rite Transpac, Dive Rite Classic Wing, Atomic Aquatics T2x and Z2 redundant, Scuba Pro Scout (mask), Dive Rite Nitek Plus, Dive Rite 10w HID 1000 Slimeline Canister light, 1 Halycon back up light, Dive Rite 500 LED light with Canister "Turtle" fins, Dive Rite Classic Reel #24 (1 saftey, and 1 primary), LP Steel 108 cu ft Doubles O2 Clean, Scuba Max 2mm Gloves, 5mm Boots, Bare 5mm Wetsuit, Dive Rite Line Arrows, SMB, OMS SPG, 7' hose (for regulator), 100' Spool, 500psi mask DeFog, AL 80 O2 Clean, LP 121 O2 clean, AL 40 O2 clean, OMS Dive Knife, Dive Bag, Saftey Whistle, Genesis back up Depth gauge, Dive Rite Regulator for other tank (mainly the AL 40), Genesis SPG for AL 40, Dive Rite wrist Compass, and a Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller (water proof to 12,000' , it was passed down from my Grand Father).

If you must stick only to Aqua Lung or Scuba Pro, I would Go with ScubaPro, but I highly Reccomend Atomic Aquatics Regulators (T2x, Z2x, Z2, M1, T2, B2)

I concur that both Scubapro and Aqualung both make good stuff. The Apeks and Zeagle brands you heard mentioned are also wonderful, and in fact, their regulators are almost one and the same due to common ownership once upon a time (Zeagle and Apeks parted ways about a decade ago). Aqualung subsequently bought Apeks, so if you WERE to get an Apeks reg, chances are good it could be serviced at an Aqualung dealership.

Ease of servicing is a major point to consider in your purchase, but enough folk have talked about that already. It's worth stressing the point though...as is the point that your final configuration will probably be a hodge-podge of brands. That's partly because some brands may be great at turning out one piece of equipment, but not so good at other. Plus, some individual items - like masks - need to fit perfectly, or you're in for a miserable experience, so branding becomes immaterial (as long as the rbands you're choosing from are reputable, of course).

Like Atomic_Diver, I'd also give a big shout-out for Atomic regs, but please note they are on the expensive side of the spectrum (I got mine as a gift, so I'm especially lucky). Proximity to an Atomic tech may also be problematic, but the good news is, they only require servicing at one to two year intervals.

If your looking at long term diving be carefull what you buy you this forum as your best guide unless you know peoplle who are expierienced in the industry. TlT is right ,different dive shops or the staff working there will push certain products, and slam other products, with no solid reason.Think long term when it comes to diving the gear is not cheap, think about what kind of diving do you want to do in the future is it technical diving involving wreck penetration or just swimming along the reef with the fishes?. That will help dictate what king of gear you purchase.I migt be a little biased but i love the back plate and wing set up its cheaper, or maybe the same price depending an what your comparing it to. but it is stronger ,simpler, fold easy for storage in a suit case.and adaptable to single or double tank setup. in minutes. plus the back plate will last alifetime if cared for . I have a hammerhead plate there made in florida . there srtong and well built. and relatively cheap. I hope this helps.

Check and see whats servicable for regs in the areas you frequent. I have the aqualung Mikron reg, which most shops between jupiter and keywest can service. on a BC the only things to worry about really are the Power inflator and the dump valves which virtually any shop can do. I was going to get the titan LX but got the Mikron from force-e as a demo with instore warrenty only for 230. There are reviews online of most regs and BC's as long as they are comfortable and capible of what you want and float the way you like you should be fine. Mares weight integration just make sure you hear the clips snap in and im sure there are a few other things with different bc's to watch out for

I use Atomic regulators, but if I were buying regulators today I'd find this sale, emailed to me yesterday, to be too good to pass up:

Scubapro MK25/X650 Regulator

$300.

Wow -- that's a GREAT price on that reg; I paid more for mine used.

But its leisure pro so i dont know how their warrenty would be, this guy in in south Fla so i would imagine he would have to ship it back for service. does LP honor authorised dealers work in their warrenty or would that void the LP warrenty?

If you live in South Florida and have a place in the Keys, check out Divers Direct. Besides selling many different brands, the folks in their stores are pretty knowledgeable and not "brand pushy".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom