Dive in Baja or in the carribean? which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really want to see hammerheads, summer in Baja would probably do the trick. Gordo Banks out of Cabo, and many dives out of La Paz. The water in the Sea of Cortez does warm up to the mid 70's (or higher) in late summer (July-September), depending on location.

That said, the water is usually colder in Baja than the Caribbean, and the coral less colorful. (Gorgonians, Mushrooms, etc. Few reefbuilding stony corals).

I dive in no more than a skin in October in the Sea of Cortez. Diving out of La Paz is certainly different from the Caribbean, but can be even more rewarding. El Bajo, 5 miles out from the Bay of La Paz is THE place to have the best chance for hammerheads that I know of at that time of year. I've seen them on 3 out of 6 dives there. I've also seen one at Las Animas, farther north up the coast. And diving with the sea lions at Los Islotes is one of the highlights of my diving experiences.

In the spring, you can dive or snorkel with whale sharks and mantas quite often, and if you're lucky like we were, you may get to be in the water with a pod of pilot whales and dolphins. I've never seen so much large marine life as we saw in May of 2001 during a week on the Don Jose liveaboard.

Hey everyone, thanks for the input! The trip would have a land based portion near Espirito Island I think, diving near there for a few weeks, and then a 6 day liveaboard on the Don Jose, with a break of sea kayaking around the island for a few days. The Carribean trip would be living on a sailboat for 17 days sailing in between the Leeward Islands like Saba and St. Martin. Hmmm.... I love reef life, but I dove in the Carribean and Hawaii last year, and after this trip I'm flying directly to Beaches in Turks & Caicos for 10 days to dive. Then this fall I'm going with a friend to the Galapagos for a liveaboard trip, I know, tough life... :D
So maybe it's time to see some pelagics?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom