Dive Insurance or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Think if this too... i dont know how much of this is truth,but i've been told that dan will cover "ANY" dive related accident.... hell if you break your arm in a car accident while on vacation for a dive trip its covered.... it is also supposed to be good for all water related injuries... as an avid surfer with an affinity for shallow reefs, this is good to hear.

Yes. A chamber ride is just as expensive here at home than it is somewhere else. Your insurance may cover you but probably not. Check. If it doesnt, but dive insurance. if it does, buy dive insurance. I'd get insurance, just as insurance. Seriously, it's cheap at the price.

Yes!!!

Divenomad said it all.

DrDaddy

For traveling divers it's not the question of coverage for the chamber , it's the cost of getting to the chamber. Getting an airplane to fly out to a remote spot only happens when they know they will be paid.

I just (as in 2 mins ago) purchased DAN insurance for myself online due in part to this thread.

A large part of that was due to vladimir's breakdown of the cost benefit analysis. I rarely purchase any insurance that I am not required to by law simply because for the average person it is a waste of money. (Exactly why I don't buy lottery tickets either)

His realistic view of it and the utility benefits vs the cost are what convinced me to purchase it, not being told I'm a fool for not getting yet another insurance policy that I will likely never use.

Just my 2 cents.

My primary insurance covered most of the chamber costs, but DAN took care of the deductible. I was lucky and only needed one treatment. If multiple treatments had been required, it would have gotten very expensive without DAN. "Underserved" hits occur even when you've done everything right. Unless you're independently wealthy, I'd recommend the insurance.

Well said Tigershark, and Welcome to Scubaboard!

If you dive locally do you have dive insurance? If you need help will your normal medical insurance cover you?

In my opinion, this question is a no brainer.... get the dive insurance!

USMCRet

If you dive locally do you have dive insurance? If you need help will your normal medical insurance cover you?

I'm generally not a big fan of insurance, but I won't get in the water without DAN. Even if Blue Cross does cover any local injuries, I don't want to have to front $20,000 then go argue with them for reimbursement.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom