Dive knife on a cruise ship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The boss lady and I are taking a 10 day cruise on Celebrity Summit in January and I'm making six dives on three different islands. I'll be bringing my gear (except for tanks and weights) and was wondering about bringing my dive knife? I'm sure it'll go on in checked baggage without any problem, but will I be able to get the knife back on the ship, through the security after a dive? Should I leave the knife home and just bring my snips and hope I don't need the knife? What have others done????

Many thanks!

I have never had a problem bringing my dive knife on board, however, it is a small model which clips onto my BC. I would leave the Rambo pig-sticker home (if I had one) and just bring the snips.

I went on a cruise in 1989, so quite a while ago. I was not allowed to take my Dive Knife. It was in my baggage, so they were searching bags even back then. If I were you, I would call the Cruise operator and ask. If they are allowing divers and schedule dive trips, maybe they have a better understanding of Dive operations than they did back in 1989.

We went on a East Caribbean cruise in October and were directly asked "not" to bring a knife. I think it was mentioned several different times as well.

I don't imagine they'd have any objections to something like sea snips--scissors with blunt edges. I think it's better suited for most diving needs anyway, especially with a warm water passport dive.

Was on a cruise with msy wife and my family 3 years ago. They had a x-ray machine like the airports used for screening. My wife had a very small knife attached to her BC. Sent it thru the machine in a mesh dive bag. They saw something that got their attention (the knife). Asked what it was and I said a DIVE TOOL :wink:. They didn't make us show it to them. Got lucky.

However, I would think they might be a little more aggressive today.

And check with the dive operator...whoever that might be. If yes, I'd take it, if no...don't push your luck, but bring your snips for sure. To get through security you should have no problem if the baggage is checked and not in your posession....but I say should....I'm not guaranteeing anything

I Have an Areis Atmos2 inline console with SPG,Compass and Computer. The Dive knife is attached to the backside of the console.
I have forgotten to remove it and put it in my checked baggage before and it still made it through three(two Xray and one hand) inspections into the country. Just lucky I guess, but unless the person knows what they are looking at/for, they apparently don't even know it's there.

MAD:mean:

My question is if I could get back on the ship with my gear and have a knife in it. It seems that since my last cruise about two years ago the security at the ship has tightened up some and I was wondering if the security guys at the gangway will take a knife if they see it. The answer so far seems to be a resounding MAYBE, and the response on the Cruise Critic board to the same question has been just plain rude, but I haven't had a diver respond there yet. Go figure! I guess I'll take my snips and leave my knife at home this trip. Better to not test the security and still have the knife, then let some ships personnel keep it for himself.

Thanks for all the replies!

this week one of the guys I dove with had just returned from diving on Turks and he had neglected to remove his dive knife (which had been disassembled and wrapped up for drying) from the bottom of his bag. He travels quite a bit for business, re-packed stuff on top of the knife and went back out travelling. Here's the scary part...he did not check the bag and went through THREE airport security checkpoints and NO ONE CAUGHT IT. It was a titanium knife so perhaps it didn't appear quite as obviously on the x-ray but frightening none the less. I can imagine the sickening feeling he must have had when he got home and completely unpacked the bag.:eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom