Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a solarstorm dx4 that I've used for over a year. It has an output of about 2300 lumens according to some guys on here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/34232 and they have modded the driver to get around 3400 out of it! I was diving with it along with my buddy with his brand new diverite LX20 and I felt that my torch was a little brighter. My one has a twisting magnetic switch, but the newer version is the dx4s that has a sliding switch.

There's also the skyray DX5s which looks pretty interesting: 6 18650 batteries powering 5 leds but don't really see any point getting it because my current torch is more than enough.

Went for this one instead eBay

So just another update. I've since used this torch on every single dive (30 dives?) including a full 80 minute night dive in which I did not turn the torch off once, and it maintained it's intensity and luminosity. Brilliant!

I've just ordered a single battery version, more compact for my soft goodman mount - hopefully it lasts as long as the 2 battery one.

So just another update. I've since used this torch on every single dive (30 dives?) including a full 80 minute night dive in which I did not turn the torch off once, and it maintained it's intensity and luminosity. Brilliant!

I've just ordered a single battery version, more compact for my soft goodman mount - hopefully it lasts as long as the 2 battery one.
?? This thread is about a single battery light (mostly). Which 2-battery have you been using?

I quoted it in the reply you quoted :wink:
Oops, NM!

Not surprising that the two battery models perform well. An issue with the single battery version has been inconsistent reports of duration and brightness, and possible role of battery selection. I really should do the voltage response test with the one I got, and compare it to a few others.

Yes, from e-bay from that link.

I have been using an 18650 battery with a spacer (a roll of paper, nothing official) to center the battery. I did discover that if I tighten the head end after loosening the tail, then tighten the tail it is working "reliably". That is, I get a solid constant light from the flashlight, but I've got to play with it enough to build some confidence. I will be ordering a pair of 26650 batteries and see if they seem more reliable. At this point, I think I'll keep the light, since it does seem to be working after all. I'll find some electrical conductive anti-oxidation compound to smear on the threads and see if I can ensure a reliable connection.

The labeling on the switch looks like there should be several brightness levels when twisted counter-clockwise, but I only get two positions, and can't really tell much difference between them. The SOS position does flash the light when rotated clockwise...

You might have a battery that is simply too long for this particular light. 18650 batteries are nominally 65mm long and 18mm diameter however they vary quite a lot and there are several end cap styles.
My 18650s are close on 68mm long for example.

Here's pics for reference.
18650_b.jpg

18650_a.jpg

Update: I have about 50 dives on a pair of the lights mentioned in the original post. They've worked great, but I managed to slightly flood one of them. I think I loosened the metal ring in the front that holds the lens against against the big O-ring by tapping my tank with the light to get my buddy's attention. It simply stopped working, so I switched to the identical backup light. I think knocking the ring loose qualifies as my screw-up, not a problem with the light.

The good news: I took it apart and the only sign was a little bit of brown discoloration on the top of the battery. It appears only a very small amount of water entered the light causing the battery to instantly short and discharge. After cleaning and drying all the parts and putting in a fresh battery it still works perfectly! Furthermore, the old battery seems to charge up normally.

Not bad for an incredibly bright $23 eBay light.

Went for this one instead eBay

I got a light like that a while back. i dived it a couple of times then made it my "truck light". I found that the slider switch was getting accidentally pushed and turning the light on. And that was happening way too often.

Plus, I don't like the 2-battery length. It makes it all but useless to me for mounting on the back of my hand.

Took mine to bonaire in February down to 60-70 feet and it worked without any problems. Used it to light up crevices under rocks and coral. Last month took it with me to cozumel and tried it on some swim throughs at 40-50 ft and it wouldn't turn on. Back on the boat I got it to come on but only after twisting the case where the "light" connects to the battery. I won't be using it underwater anymore. Don't trust it.

I got a light like that a while back. i dived it a couple of times then made it my "truck light". I found that the slider switch was getting accidentally pushed and turning the light on. And that was happening way too often.

Plus, I don't like the 2-battery length. It makes it all but useless to me for mounting on the back of my hand.
Yeah the slider is a bit annoying, but after a while it has stiffened up, although probably not for the best.

As for your second issue, I bought the single battery version for mounting on my hand. Does the job for basic stuff, although not as bright and less light spread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom