Dive near Waikoloa or head down to Kona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from diving in the Kohala area this past week, with Kohala Divers based out of Kawaihae. This is just north of the Mauna Kea resort area, which in turn is just north of Puako bay, which in turn is just north of the Mauna Lani resort, which is just north of Waikoloa. These resorts are all pretty close to each other, but a 25-35 minute drive from the harbor at Honokohau (traffic varies quite a bit) where some of the larger companies like Big Island Divers, Jacks, and Kona Honu are based. Honokohau is also, as mentioned, where most of the manta trips depart, except for those trips going to the Keauhou area further south.

In Kohala, besides Blue Wilderness, there is also Mauna Lani Sea Adventures who have a small power cat as their main boat, and Kohala Divers. I had a nice time diving with Kohala Divers and would definitely give them a look if you are staying in Waikoloa. They have a ~40 foot boat with a head and will take a mix of scuba divers and snorkelers, as they did on one of my days out with them. They have an on board head, a cover to get out of the sun, and detailed pre dive briefs.

I don't recall ever having done a drift dive on Kona, most sites are dived from moorings installed along the coast. I haven't encountered many big fish in Kona, but I agree you probably have better luck at some of the deeper dropoffs out of Honokohau like the Pipeline. The sites we dove in Kohala didn't take us that deep (I don't think I went below 80 feet), but I did see turtles, cleaner shrimp, garden eels, a ghost shrimp, slipper lobster, a viper moray and a few other eels, leaf scorpionfish, devil scorpionfish, a huge cowrie, and several nudis including a pair of gloomy nudibranchs. As mentioned there are some nice lava tubes.
Kohala Gloomy Nudibranch.jpg

One of my favorite Big Island dives is Hapuna Beach. There are lots of turtles near the hotel, and the south side of the beach has coral heads that stretch perpendicular from the shore. With a fresh water shower, easy entry and a snack bar it is the easiest dive on the island.
Seriously? I did Puako diving many times but never tried Hapuna. Which way do you go?

Great diving both shore and boat at puako area. Kohala Divers in Kawaihae is a good outfit. Blue wilderness in waikoloa is good too. The shop across from Costco mentioned is the scuba shack. I don't know if they are doing charters right now. I think the boat captain might be off island. They are a good shop with good prices on gear. If you are interested in some shore diving in Puako or kohala. I would be happy to go with you. I shore dive the area pretty often and love to dive. All I need is a buddy and time off. I work during the week but Im off on weekends. In the summer I dive before work some days since it is light out early.

I think if you go to shore diving dot com, you will find quite a few shore dives for the north part of the big island. I haven't done many on that end of the island but do remember seeing a lot listed when I was studying shore dives for around Kona.
I highly recommend the Manta Dive,it's well worth the money. Also, watch a You Tube of a Pelagic Magic dive. I think it's one of those dives that you would either love or hate. I really want to do one some day but I've heard a lot of people don't like them or find hanging on a 50 foot line in deep,black water either very uncomfortable or just boring. Kind of like cave diving that way,I guess.
Hawaii is a place with great shore diving. You really don't need to spend tons of money on boats, unless you just want to. You'll notice that the boats are often only a few yards off shore, sometimes right near where you can safely and easily get from the shore entries. Seems silly to pay a boat $85-$100 ( Hawaii is expensive,too) to taxi you to a spot that you can easily swim to.
Puako is a really nice dive.

Back
Top Bottom