Dive report - 25th and 26th...morning, night and both Destin and Panama City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Managed to get a lot of diving in this last weekend... morning trip out of Destin, night dive out of Destin and off shore dive out of Panama City.

Water is sort of ok vis, but terrible for photo's... have never had such difficulty with backscatter.

Sat morning dive involved lots and lots of small jellyfish, which seemed to sting really bad. Doing a safety stop involved a lot of dodging...or getting stung...or both.

We went way to the east for the first dive.. a reef I don't get to very often....then back to Amberjack reef. Night dive was the Liberty ship and the east stack.

Images may be mixed up a bit...but this was, for some strange reason, a octopus weekend...but before getting to those images... the required nudi image:

nudi_2011_06_71.jpg

For some odd reason, have suddenly been seeing spotted scorpion fish up here (they are common in the keys)...this is the second weekend were I got images of one:

sc_fish_2011_06_50.jpg

Our normal one looks like this (from the night dive):

sc_fish_2011_06_51.jpg

Here some of the octopus images.....

I gave this guy the shell..

octo_2011_06_41.jpg

octo_2011_06_42.jpg

octo_2011_06_45.jpg

Here are some of the others:

octo_2011_06_70.jpg

Octo_2011_06_60.jpg

octo_2011_06_52.jpg

octo_2011_06_54.jpg

Had several frog fish, but I liked this one the best:

frogfish_2011_06_51.jpg

This is my attempt at being artsy... I found this red sponge, then went and got a crab and put it there... and then waited for the slippery dick to get into position....it was hard work:

sponge_2011_06_70.jpg

After that success, I decided to train some peterson shrimp to do tricks...

Here is standing on it's back legs...

peterson_shrimp_2011_06_70.jpg

And then the leaping thru a hoop... Only I did not have a hoop, so it was just leaping:

peterson_shrimp_2011_06_71.jpg

Tough guys to train, but once you do, boy to they do a nice job.

Found these crabs (and tiny shimp) off of Panama City on an off shore wreck:

crab_2011_06_40.jpg

suspect these are an unidentified species...

Found some very odd.. well I don't know what..

stuff_2011_06_40.jpg

anenome_2011_06_70.jpg

And then the normal stuff:

batfish_2011_06_70.jpg

dartfish_2011_06_70.jpg

blenny_2011_06_40.jpg

anenome_2011_06_40.jpg

Toadfish_2011_06_40.jpg

Don't usually post toad fish pictures, but also don't get to see them from the side very often.

Great diving, only down side was the ripping current Sat night and Sunday morning....

Update - The "shrimp" are actually a type of squat Lobster, just don't know which one. The white round stuff is a solitary Grogonian Hydroid and the anemone is some sort of club-tipped anemone, that does not live here and is way too big...

Great pics. Who did you dive with out of Destin? I will be there in September.

atllas750, I was on scubatech's boat, but both boats go to the same sort of place (the other being Emerald Coast). Good people at both places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom