Dive Report: 3/16 & 3/17 Scallop & Wreck Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I hadn't dove cold water since February 5th so I was long overdue to get back into the water. With the recent nor'easters and weather systems, New England hasn't exactly experienced any "good" winter visibility this year.

On Saturday 3/16, I did a scallop charter with Boston Scuba. I had nice a productive scallop dive. Max depth 61ft, bottom time 38 minutes. 38F-39F water temperature. Visibility not so good maybe a very dark 5ft. Managed to get a full scallop bag and found a couple cool old bottles. It was very good to get back into the cold water. Landed right on a good spot and stayed in the scallops for the entire dive.

My can light malfunctioned (well died) but thankfully I was able to switch to my backup. It was very helpful to have a good light on this dive otherwise it would have been scalloping by feel alone. It was overcast so there wasn't a whole lot of light penetration from surface.

KsPpJBbl.jpg

[
gej5hGXl.jpg

59M2Hd2l.jpg

H28oHUvl.jpg

si1xhK1l.jpg

On Sunday 3/16, I went out with the Gauntlet (North Atlantic Dive Expeditions) to the wreck of the Romance. The ride out was very smooth but the winds started to pick up once we got out to the dive site. Made for a little bumpy ride on the way back in. Great dive but not much else to report; I didn't find any "goodies" on this dive. A few lobsters hanging out, some lone scallops scattered around the wreck. I ran my reel from where the boilers are into debris field.

Max depth 76ft, 51 minute bottom time and 38f water temperature.

Visibility <5ft I would say but maybe a little more ambient light than yesterday. My DRIS 1000 lumens backup light works very well. Pleasantly surprised at how much light it puts out.

iiY6t3jl.jpg

Nice haul and a good report. Just can't see myself wearing all that gear.

Most of it is not always needed. The scallop dive I was in a single tank configuration.

On the wreck dive, I did it as a deco dive but it can easily be done with a single tank. It had been a few months since I dove with my doubles and deco bottle so I just wanted to get test out some small tweaks in my gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom