Dive Report: Navarre Beach Pier 07-02-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the Pensacola Reef (old pier) suitable for snorkeling? About how far out is it? I understand it's about 100 yards east of new pier -- is that correct? Thanks for any info.

The reef is probably about 10-20 feet under, but definately snorkelable.

What is the best way to locate the reef? We burned a tank out on the sand monday in that exact area, but had no idea that there was structure nearby. :banghead: We were just looking for someplace without the jelly population of Ft. Pickens. We entered and exited close to the lifeguard station east of the pier- - although I didn't count fin kicks, we were out far enough to get well into the sand dollar field that was mentioned.

Wrong side of the pier....

If you kick out on top OR next to the pilings, head out to the first break in the pier. The rubble for that is about 60 deg to your right (about SSW direction). or just keep going to the furthest section of the pier and turn west and you should run into it within about 100 yrds... If that. I was out there last week and the sand is really high along the pier.

I dove the pier last year and there isn't much growth ON the rubble field (my guess is that since it's laying on the sandy bottom nothing can get established before the sand from a rough day comes and cleans the pilings laying on the bottom).

The rubble filed might be covered now. There was major algae in the water when I went there and I couldn't see 5 feet even though from the shore it looked good. There were Jellies there but that all comes and goes from day to day.

The rubble field is covered completely except for one small section which is above the sand about 2 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom