Dive Reports w/Links: San Clemente Island and Pompano Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shucksun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently completed dive trips to San Clemente Island and Pompano Beach FL. I have written before about the "Easy Button Diving" in Pompano, if work or pleasure takes you to Southeast FL I highly recommend a day of diving off the Hillsboro Inlet. I use South Florida Dive HQ, but there are other outfitters in the area as well. The offshore reefs took a beating from hurricane Irma but they will recover and there are plenty of artificial reefs to visit in the mean time. The newest one is the Okinawa, which was completely prepped and cleaned before sinking. It lies in 50-60' of water and has very inviting swim throughs which are completely manageable for sport divers.

Instagram post by J. Reeb • Nov 10, 2017 at 3:32am UTC

I had quite a startle when I poked my head inside one of the cabin spaces and came face to face with the largest grouper I have ever seen. It was bigger than the largest GSB I've seen at the Avalon Dive Park:

Instagram post by J. Reeb • Nov 4, 2017 at 12:30am UTC

San Clemente provided super marine life and terrain. This clip of Pacific Jack Mackerel (fish ID provided by Phil Garner) illustrates the conditions we encountered the last weekend in Oct.

J.Reeb

Back
Top Bottom