Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8/14/10
Sharky's Park/Pier
Time: ~10 am
Winds: Calm
Seas: Bit rough over the sandbar but not bad beyond
Viz: 0

Never seen it this bad. Had some new divers anxious to get in the water so we decided to give it a shot even after the bad report from yesterday. Got out to the end of the pier and dropped to the bottom. I literally stuck my mask in the sand before I saw it, couldn't even read my computer without pressing it to the front of my mask. Called the dive & hung out at the beach for awhile before heading home :depressed:.

8/15/10
Elhamba beach/venice beach
looked bad to start, I went anyway there is still no vis.:no:
I couldnt even see the numbers on my compass I called it after 20 minutes. I think it will be a few days of east wind before it starts to clear up.:(

I went out at around 12:30 in about 25' and had 6-8ft of viz... I was about 2 miles south of the jetties. the silt is getting patchy.. some spots are gone and some are real bad... I did one dive and found 25 megs with at least 15 intact with one being 5" in great shape! I could feel some current more like a little surge here and there. bottom time was 1:29. The top conditions ware great, light chop if any.. top viz was about 10-12' will post pics later tonight... before and after cleaning..:wink:

sat 8/21 alhambra.
0830 air temp 82 light chop
water temp at 23' 89 ugh.
viz 0,0,0 and maybe a patch of mere inches
Current at that level kept rolling me north when i wanted
to go west. Ran out of air at 1100. came up
and heavy surface chop and incoming storms.
Air temp then 92. Silt and snot everywhere
ur hand sinks if u not on rocks. Got sea sick
from tryign to focus on the ground.

S. Brohard, winds nw, incoming tide, viz less than 1 & in some spots 0. :(

I dont know how no one has viz.... I did 2 dives between 9am and 2pm and had 6'-8' of viz.... solid 6' but on the botom I could stand and see my fins on the bottom... I did go over to the beach to pick someone up.... and over there It looked awful... But out between 23'-27' viz was perfect for tooth finding...Lots of dive boats out today... I saw at least 6-7 at one time.... Silt on bottom is patchy... and there was definitely surge on the bottom... I was down a total of 2.5 hrs between 2 dives and found 20 megs... w/ 5 intact..... 3"-2.25" ers.. and one nice 1.25" full mako... I think vis was about the same as last week... If ur beach diving, u gota get way out... at least 2 pier lengths out..... thats where the viz is........ Seas were very calm in the morning and became kinda choppy by noon.... Going out again tomorrow, will post report for that as well.... Pics will be posted later tonight...

Did 3 dives Today(Sun) 1st @ 900am. viz 3'-4' @24' @boneyard.
2nd@ 1030. viz 5'-6' @ 25' @ boneyard and 3rd @ 1230 viz 1'-1.5' @ 19' @ culverts NW of Sharkies Pier. Viz on last dive was awful... Like nauseating. after 15 min. I gave up... The first two dives were cool tho.. Found a total of 9 Megs will post pics in appropriate forum. Interesting Thermo tho... It was actually cooler on the surface than the bottom... Weird huh??? like maybe 2-3 deg... Still some surge on the bottom... and silt still patchy...

8/29/10
Service Club
Time 8:45 am
Seas <1'
Winds E 5
Water Temp 86
Vis 1'-8' depending on bottom, still a lot of silt in areas
Finds nothing great, a broken 5 1/4" meg

Report for Sun the 29th. 3'to 6' of viz. @ 23' on first dive... 2nd dive 2'-4' of viz similar profile.. found about 20 megs between both dives pics will be posted soon.. silty in areas, some were nice tho... found 6 nice makos... with one @ 2 1/4" ....and 2 whale ear bones and 1 whale tooth.. not ans much current as the last two weeks on the bottom... almost none... flat as pancake seas in the morn... patchy sun and clouds... when the sun came out the bottom was nicer to hunt on... oh well.. great fun day!!!! on the BIG FLAT TOP!!!!!!!

Did 3 dives today... all Service Club...

Winds mainly NE (ish) 5-10 (estimate)
no waves to speak of, but some current in morning...
First dive, 1-3 ft viz (North of boardwalk area about 1/2 mile)
second dive 1-6 ft viz (North of boardwalk area ... slightly north)
Third dive (around 2:45 pm) straight out from boardwalk... 0- 2 ft viz (called it with 1600 PSI left!). All dives in 12-14 ft (very low tide today... or I grew?)

Saw a dive boat looking for viz... moved like 4 times in about one hour... really spotty (some areas good, others bad... still the silt). If no storms hoping for better viz and continued NE.

good to be out.. good hunting to all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom