Dive Rite or Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

strondbakken

Reaction score
I do a lot of open water dives and will be attempting more advanced training, accompanied by some introductions to the finer points of cave diving, wreck diving and exploration. I need to get a BC that will suit all my needs and be able to adapt to the various conditions I will be facing both in open water and cave environments. I am somewhat familiar with Dive Rite's line, but know little about Halcyon. Can anyone recommend a choice between the two? I am 6'3" tall, 195 lbs., so if that makes a difference, please let me know, as i do not know how they are designed to fit taller people. Also, does the Halcyon Eclipse come with any sort of lumbar support like the Trans Pac?

I know this issue has been tossed around here before, but I would really like to have a discussion as to the pros and cons of these two systems for open water and cave/wreck diving, please.

halcyon is like dive rite at three times the price.... but you do get the cute little blue "h" symbol all over your gear....

Let's compare some FifthD prices with Dive Rite Express prices:

DR Venture Wing: $280
H Pioneer: $278

DR Classic Wings: $299
H Explorer: $338

DR SS Backplate: $135
H SS Backplate: $142

I'm not sure where the "3x the price" comes from..

jonnythan:
Let's compare some FifthD prices with Dive Rite Express prices:

DR Venture Wing: $280
H Pioneer: $278

DR Classic Wings: $299
H Explorer: $338

DR SS Backplate: $135
H SS Backplate: $142

I'm not sure where the "3x the price" comes from..

At Leisure Pro:

DR Venture Wing $ 235
DR Classic Wing $ 225
DR SS backplate $ 105

Still not 3x the price but cheaper. Drive Rite Express does not give good deals IMO.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare retail prices with gray market discount prices.

I'm pretty sure the prices are comparable....my main question is what to expect from both systems. I plan on using this BC for all kinds of stuff and I want one that is durable AND customizable. I dont make a lot of $, so I cant afford to buy BCs for each type of dive I do. I'd rather buy a GOOD one that will last and be configurable to my needs. I like the Eclipse model, but I am not sure what kind of back support it offers, whereas the Trans Pac has a nice lumbar support on top of the back plate. I'm tall, so that is a concern for me.

The Halcyon wings will have shorter hoses and no pull dumps. The backplates will be essentially the same, and the harnesses will be essentially the same, unless you get a TransPac or Deluxe Harness.

Save your money, go to www.COVCI.com and buy a full Oxycheq setup, or see if you can put together a Dive Rite or OMS system from pieces (wing, backplate, harness, STA).

edit: Actually, I'm not sure if it's me, but COVCI's prices don't seem as great as they used to be. It's still the easiest inexpensive option though.

strondbakken:
I'm pretty sure the prices are comparable....my main question is what to expect from both systems. I plan on using this BC for all kinds of stuff and I want one that is durable AND customizable. I dont make a lot of $, so I cant afford to buy BCs for each type of dive I do. I'd rather buy a GOOD one that will last and be configurable to my needs. I like the Eclipse model, but I am not sure what kind of back support it offers, whereas the Trans Pac has a nice lumbar support on top of the back plate. I'm tall, so that is a concern for me.

Honestly your question is kind of general.

What kind of "technical" diving do you plan on doing?

In alot of cases it may be best to get a backplate and harness. Then purchase 2 wings for the diving. One being for doubles, and one being for singles. That will most likely fit alot of your needs. Then again, that may not work well.

Look at it like buying a vehicle (which is really what your gear is)... there are things designed for specific places ... cars for roads, 4x4 trucks for off-road. Then there are the things in-between that do the job but not quite as well... like a 4x4 SUV.

List specifically what you plan on diving and if the gear fits, buy it... :)

btw the 4x4 SUV of diving rigs is Curt's Armadillo... it works for OW, sidemount, and backmount. (which may be what I get when i've worn out my custom built sidemount rig...)
:eyebrow:

Well, when buying a backplate and wings my opinion is to buy on price and available local support, Dive Rite, Halcyon and Oxycheq all make quality equipment.

Jon, to be fair you should compare the price of the Eclipse to the price of the Venture, since they are both double bag wings where the Pioneer is not. Also, a short hose and standard elbow are available from Dive Rite.

Ben

Ah, neat, I thought the Venture was like the Pioneer. My bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom