Dive Rite or Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem, come down and dive with me and I'll be glad to show you :)

FYI, your choice of Eclipse is $368 from EE vs. $280 for a Venture.

Ben

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the venture only come in a 30# lift form, while the eclipes comes in both 30# and 40# wing.

You are correct, I've used mine with a single 104, SLA cannister light and a full 7mm wetsuit and had ample bouyancy to depths below 100 ft.

Ben

I have been trying to figure out my lift requirements. I asked earlier today (Quick Question) about 30# vs 45# and so far the response has been to get the 45#. Personally I would love to get a double bag BC but I don't have the money to get a 40# double bag BC. $500 is very much my limit for a BC.

sndt1319:
I have been trying to figure out my lift requirements. I asked earlier today (Quick Question) about 30# vs 45# and so far the response has been to get the 45#. Personally I would love to get a double bag BC but I don't have the money to get a 40# double bag BC. $500 is very much my limit for a BC.

Whats your thinking behind a redundant bc?

Sorry, I wanted to say a BC with an outer shell to protect the inner bladder. I am still learning all the specific terminology of the diving world. I didn't mean to confuse anyone.

I think i might go with the Halcyon Eclipse (with the 40# lift wing), simply because of its simplicity and durability. Dive Rite is not a lesser brand by any means, but i think the halcyon will suit me a bit better in the long run. I thank you all for your input and hope to see you under the water sometime.....

Happy Diving! :viking:

Just being the Devil's Advocate here, but... why do you think the Eclipse is simplier and more durable?

Also, keep in mind the Halcyon is $90 more.

Ben

jonnythan:
I'm not sure it's fair to compare retail prices with gray market discount prices.

I am not sure if I agree with you on this one.

Why can Leisure Pro who needs to buy from an authorized dealer sell it cheaper than Dive Rite Express that is an authorized dealer? I would love to know the markup on scube gear.

BTW, I think Dive Rite is excellent gear and unless Leisure Pro is buying rejects, I don't think there is much difference because you shouldn't need warranty service especially on a backplate.

ams511:
I would love to know the markup on scube gear.

Depending on the store and the brand, it's anywhere between 25% on smaller items to over 100% on larger items. Thats why dealer price lists are protected like nuclear weapons.... If you actually knew how much the markup was on some items you buy, you would call the dealer a thief and never buy from them again.
Why can liesurepro can sell so cheap?... they don't have to abide by any dealer agreements or price fixing, and they have a low overhead doing most of their business online and not having to pay a scuba tech to work on regs or anything like that...

Back
Top Bottom