Dive-Rite Rec wing vs. Venture wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings all!

I've done a ton of searching as of late (here and googling), and have found -some- info, but not really enough to satisfy my question.

A question for Dive-RIte wing users, past and present:

I'm just getting into the sport after quite a good amount of time in between my certification dives and the present world. I will be diving the Atlantic ocean (in and around Ft. Lauderdale), and hopefully some freshwater lakes (in and around alligators? ... OK, skip those dives for now... )

Based on the deals I can get, and the budget I'm on, I find myself having to choose between two wings: DR's Rec and Venture wings.

I plan on only diving single large tanks - eventually buying large steel HP tanks. But, for now, I'll probably be using some used large Aluminum LP tanks, but always in a single configuration. I probably will want to take a second smaller tank for DC stops, but this won't happen anytime very soon. Still, I want a wing that will be good for all of this on my first purchase.

That said, a Rec wing was recommended to me based on it's volume's ability to be 'lessened' safely. This sounds good. But it seems that a lot of posters seem to be switching to other wings after spending soem time with the Rec wing, thus I began considering the Venture wing (for moving through the water AND for price). I'm a 5'10" ~177 lb. guy, will the 30 lb. size of the Venture wing be too small, or is 30 lbs. of lift plenty in a wing design?

The budget is a very strong concern, so I don't believe I can go with any other company at the moment as I am putting forth a good amount for other high-quality equipment.

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Dave H.

I dive with a DR RecWing for single AL80. I know it is way over what is required but it happens that it is the wing I have. Am planning to dive doubles (AL80) in the future so I guess it would still work fine for me.

But if you are certain you will be diving Singles for some time, I understand that the Venture wing is often preferred since it is donut shape.

Thanks Wu, that was the reason for the original recommendation of the Rec wing - that eventually I'd dive dual tanks. But for some reason I just can't see that happening anytime soon. I don't have my own boat, so if I go in from the shore I'll be carrying a single tank. If I do go out on a boat, to a good depth (say 85 or 90'), I'll be coming up for a break soon enough (I think?). On top of that, if a smaller wing actually allows me to use less energy, and thus less air, it sounds like a good proposition. But is a 30 lb. lift enough for a guy my size and a steel 100 (or 120?) ?

Do you feel drag from the rec wing and a single tank. Or are we talking aobut minimal extra effort due to a good design?

Best,
Dave

I too have the Rec and mostly dive singles. I am not aware of any drag.

i had a rec wing and dived singles. didn't have any problems with drag at all. bc i have now is rear inflation and i believe the bladder is smaller than the rec wing and i haven't noticed any difference between them apart from the transpac was much more comfortable and gave me more options in the future (why i sold it i have no idea.....fit of stupidity i think....:banghead: )

if you have the option go with the one that you can expand on. you never know what you will decide to do in the future.

Ihave the same decision to make as well. I have a friend who is 6 1, 210 and he dives a steel 130 with the venture wing and loves it. its bouyancy correction is very nice and calculated. I have dove it about four times and am sold on it.

Mambo Dave:
Do you feel drag from the rec wing and a single tank. Or are we talking aobut minimal extra effort due to a good design?

Whether the Venture Wing will give you enough lift, I will leave the answering to those with the experiences. But I think 30lb would be sufficient.

In regards to the diving singles with my RecWing, no feeling of drag at all. The only problem I can think of is that I do have to change position once in a while dumping air out of the wing. I think that was one of the problems people encounter with a horse shoe type wing. But I have to say that it didn't bother me at all.

If you think there will be chances you would be diving double (though not sure when in the near future yet), you might want to consider RecWing. I know that there are certainly no ONE wing that are RIGHT for both singles and doubles but with my RecWing, I won't need to go out an get a new wing for my doubles setup.

You can read on this link on what's recommended for DR's various wings:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/aircells.shtml

Hope this helps.

I dive the Venture wing and wish I'd gone with the larger wing. I'm female, I wear 16 lbs, use a PST-80 (cold water), and my BC is juuuust neutral to slightly negative fully inflated. The time I accidentally strapped a heavier tank on (rented Faber), my gear plunged to the depths like an anvil, fully inflated, thus my dream of a PST-100 ain't happening until I upgrade.

I'd go with the larger, but YMMV.

Thank you all so much! And thanks, Ishie, for that last comment! I'm sticking with the Rec Wing. :fish: I'll already have a 6 lb stainless plate I can't drop, and perhaps the extra lift would be good if a buddy's lift ever fails?

The extra lift should be good if I end up picking stuff up, too (say, just how much gold bullion is down there from lost shipwrecks, anyhow? :wink: )

My first ocean dive may be this weekend. Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom