Dive Rite "Streamlines Openwater Configuration"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why not just lengthen the octo hose length? and why do I want to give away the only reg that I know is working? although I do make it a habit to breathe off my octo at some point during the dive so I know it's working.

I can understand it if you are carrying multiple gases but for rec divers it's just one gas.

Beside what other mention, here is my take on this.

40" hose is pretty long enough, if you let it hang on your side, to drag on bottom, get caught on things, trap things into mouth piece .... In other words, it is more like to to render the 2nd stage non-functional or less than functional during a dive. Any longer hose in this config will only make thing worse. On the other hand, a 2nd stage on 22" hose bungee on your neck is highly unlikely to turn non functional. Keep in mind, you have make sure it is function during pre dive check so you also know it is working and more importantly, it delivery gas that is safe to breath in any depth.

A 40" hose octo dangle on your side, you will need a few second to location it when it is most needed. Any longer, it will only make it worse. Donating what is in your mouth is immediate. That couple of second can turn a OOG diver into panic. Chances are the OOG give will grab what is in your mouth anyway, so no, it is you looking for your 40" octo for air.

If you understand why this is better for multiple gas diving, why not adapt the same concept for all kind of diving? Same procedure, same muscle memory regardless.

Also unless you are in an environment where you just can't ascend immediately why would you want to swim side by side for any distance? I always thought getting to the surface as soon as safely possible was the best course of action.

It is all about options here. Even in OW diver, direct ascent although is possible, but may not always be the best course of action. Such as in high traffic or high current condition, it is a lot better to return to ascent line (if other situations permit) then ascent. Having a 5' or 7' let you have this option comfortably. With a 40" hose, not so convinent.

why not just lengthen the octo hose length? and why do I want to give away the only reg that I know is working?
Donating the reg blowing bubbles may not be an option, as a panicked diver may just take it. This has shown to be the case numerous times, so why not donate a top quality reg that is breathing perfectly? Below is a video showcasing a diver that not only doesn't signal OOA, but just grabs their buddies primary. If it is on a short 28" hose they are going to be really close. With a 5-7' hose you can relax and take your time in trim ascending at a controlled rate.

although I do make it a habit to breathe off my octo at some point during the dive so I know it's working.
That is a good thing, but I would insist on my dive buddy breathing off BOTH regs before we even leave the beach/boat.

[video=youtube;H6yMHXCCAUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yMHXCCAUE[/video]

all very good responses and I'm going to take a look at making some changes to my setup.

Wow, the first 25 seconds of that video is highly educational. Thanks for posting that!

Donating the reg blowing bubbles may not be an option, as a panicked diver may just take it. This has shown to be the case numerous times, so why not donate a top quality reg that is breathing perfectly? Below is a video showcasing a diver that not only doesn't signal OOA, but just grabs their buddies primary. If it is on a short 28" hose they are going to be really close. With a 5-7' hose you can relax and take your time in trim ascending at a controlled rate.

That is a good thing, but I would insist on my dive buddy breathing off BOTH regs before we even leave the beach/boat.

[video=youtube;H6yMHXCCAUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yMHXCCAUE[/video]

Of course, every experienced open dive diver carries a 40cf pony right there on his hip, and doesn't have to worry about his buddy's rig configuration at all.

Interesting that the diver with the problem didn't just go to her own secondary.

Last edited:
Interesting that the diver with the problem didn't just go to her own secondary.

I've been mugged twice by OOA divers, once by a dive master candidate during a drill. You'd think that someone training to be a professional, in 6 ft of water accompanied by her instructor and classmates, would have the ability to think for a second or two and proceed rationally, but the instant panic sets in, all bets are off. In both cases the OOA diver simply ripped the 2nd stage out of my mouth, FAST.

This is one of many reasons that I love the long hose set up. I use a 5ft hose in OW and a 7ft with my doubles in restrictions.

If you are horizontal, it is difficult for anyone coming toward you even to spot your bungied backup, let alone notice that it has a yellow faceplate. If they signal out of gas, you give them your primary. If they take your primary, you go to your backup. If, for some bizarre reason, they have FOUND your backup and are trying to take it, you shove your primary at them.

As with everything else in diving, color coding is not a very good way to know what to do with anything. I pay no attention at all to which of my regs might have some yellow on it.

I like color coding for myself, as it makes obvious which hose is which. I read accident reports where the stressed diver breathed out the wrong regulator with disastrous result, so why limit everything to black.

I have a 7' hose on my primary with the octopus on a short hose on my neck. The long hose goes under my right arm, then across my chest to my left shoulder, around my head, and into my mouth. Its nice and streamlined, no need for an elbow on it. Lots of hose length when donating. I have no problem with giving my primary for air sharing. When I originally trained OW my set up used an AirII. The only issue I had with that original system was the primary hose was uncomfortably short when donating.

Newly certified OW diver, about to start AOW. Researching my first reg set. I like the DIR concepts, and may progress to wreck/cave/tech diving down the road. For a set like the OP posted, would you all suggest the 40 inch hose with 90 degree, the 5 foot, or the 7 foot?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom