Dive Rite's Optima Rebreather with the new back mounted counter lungs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recently, up in Cave Country, I stopped by Dive Rite for some tweaks on one of their awesome Hunter Packs. Lamar Hires was showing off the new back mounted counter lungs to Mark Fowler and Tom Mount, so I just had to tag along...

DiveRite0_3_.jpg

In the presence of legends. Lamar Hire, Mark Fowler & Tom Mount

DiveRite0_5_.jpg

The new incredibly tough Kydex Cover for the Optima

DiveRite0_11_.jpg

Mark dons the Optima

DiveRite0_16_.jpg

Side Detail of the Optima, showing off the new back mounted counter lungs

DiveRite0_23_.jpg

Mark is ready to go dive this rebreather... well almost! Look at the Ox and dil valves.

DiveRite0_17_.jpg

An awesome solution to dangly wires going to the wrist.

DiveRite0_21_.jpg

A view of the back tray with valves and all.

DiveRite0_38_.jpg

Tom, Mark and Lamar build out Mark's new Optima Rebreather.

DiveRite0_40_.jpg

View of the back hose routing, showing off Dive Rite's manifold.

Last edited:
Nice pics Doc! Lamar Hires is the real deal and his company produces fine products. Nice preview.

All three of these guys are the real deal. I felt pretty awed to be able to tag along and be a photo fly on the wall. I must say, Dive Rite is one of the most approachable companies I know of. It makes bringing these images incredibly easy. Then to watch Lamar build out Mark's rebreather while explaining all of his decisions and innovations was also incredibly informative. That has to be one of the best 'classes' I have ever taken.

For instance, the small, unassuming manifold in the last pic came as a direct result of Lamar having to switch to off board gas in a cave. He found that he lost the use of his BC inflator. He was on a scooter, so it didn't affect him too badly, but he knew that Dive Rite could do better. You see, the BC inflator is usually fed from the first stage reg on the dil, so if you shut that down, you shut down the BC. Lamar has run an additional manifold off of the Dill block that allows the use of the BC with any gas the Optima is using. Look at the fifth picture and you'll see the line on the left of the Dill block (diver's left). That's the quick disconnect from the dil bottle. Other than the SPG, that's the only line coming off of the Dill reg. Pop the quick disconnect and you'll find that the nipple swivels allowing you to easily connect an off board bottle and still have use of your BC and anything else you have plugged into that small manifold on the back. It's genius! And it's genius born of Lamar actually diving his gear with a critical eye to making it even better. You've got to respect that kind of innovation. I certainly do.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdb
I uploaded a few more pics from my visit to Dive Rite and here they are:

DiveRite0_43_.jpg

Mark's new Optima rebreather. It's not really finished. Coming upgrades are the new tray and frame as well as the new Kydex Bat Cover! :D

DiveRite0_41_.jpg

Anybody want a new Optima? They have all the parts you need ready to be shipped to you!

DiveRite0_45_.jpg

The new Optima frame and prototype support. They are going to drill/tap DIN receptacles in the Delrin. That way, you just screw your regs into that instead of letting them dangle as your bottles are being filled.

DiveRite0_46_.jpg

Dive Rite's secret to success. They simply aren't afraid to innovate. This is their new Dry Suit Heater regulator. It's way small, fits in a pocket, uses the same opening as a Pee Valve and allows you to choose between low, medium and high heat with tactile feedback for the user. Genius, augmented by hard work, field testing and collective innovation.

DiveRite0_47_.jpg

Dive Rite's prototype safety reel. With a single flip of the thumb you can stop or free the reel to pay out line. No more lost screws!!!

Last edited:
Nice article !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dive Rite is one of most innovative diving and CCR diving companies! I started on an Optima in 2007 and the new Optima has major improvements. It's an awesome unit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom