Dive shops in Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been emailing different dive shops and Reef Adventures has been the most responsive and informative. I'll be very interested to hear how your diving goes with them. We are headed to AC on July 7-14 and right now I'm leaning towards using Reef Adventures. It was interesting, however, that they ask you to make a deposit ahead of time but I guess that's how you get a better rate than just walking in off the street????? I'd sure like to know if my "assumption" is correct. I've noticed on this forum that it's been suggested to just wander down the beach and stop at different dive shops to see which one feels the best. If anyone can respond to this situation, I'd sure appreciate it.

When we dive in Coz, the place we dive and stay with requires a deposit so I'm not adverse to making one in AC. I've never been to Belize so I'm just wondering if this is the norm.

Thanks!

islanddream

I doubt if a deposit gets you a better rate. It does make it more likely that they willl not be on vacation or something when you get there.

I got a price break by paying 100% up front. I don't mind taking a chance since I have read good things about Reef Adventures. I'm sure there are many good dive shops there but this one is real close to where I am staying so that just makes things more simple. I like simple. I'll be sure and post a trip report when I get back.

I've noticed on this forum that it's been suggested to just wander down the beach and stop at different dive shops to see which one feels the best. If anyone can respond to this situation, I'd sure appreciate it.

There are a lot of really good dive shops on Ambergris Caye. If they aren't good, they don't tend to stay in business long. That being said, I think some are better than others and that different people often look for different attributes of a dive shop when they are making a choice. There are just some situations where its impossible to get the true "feel" from a shop by talking to them on the phone or looking at their webpage. Lets face it, some businesses are just better at marketing themselves than others. Some have really high end websites but their service and attitudes, frankly suck.

Unfortunately on Ambergris Caye, hotels will often make dive shop recommendations for their guests that aren't necessarily based on the great experiences of guests before them, they are based on the fact that they will get kickbacks on their referrals from "their" diveshop. A smiling face at the hotel or a happy voice on the phone doesn't really equate to a great dive experiences or a fun time. As I said earlier in this post. Just because a shop doesn't answer their phone or doesn't answer their email in a timely manner, it doesn't mean they are a lousy shop. I certainly prefer a rapid response when I'm shopping around, but I've also learned to look beyond that. I think you need to communicate with the shop, evaluate previous experiences on websites like this, and then go check things out for yourself. If you prepay and decide you don't like things, its sometimes hard to get your money back in a foreign country. Go a la carte' and Get the "feel". Ken :42:

Thanks for the responses....they do help. I've been researching several of the dive shops on AC by looking at recommendations on SB and Trip Advisor. If there are other places I should look for info, please let me know. My top three are Reef Adventures, Ecologic divers, and Island Divers. All seem to have their +'s and -'s. Although all shops will us up at a dock in front of where we are staying, Reef Adventures is the closest. Also, Cap'n Ron (is that his real name ?????) stated that we wouldn't be put on a cattle boat and would be able to dive our profile. With that being said, I still have plenty of time to make a decision since we don't go until July. By the way, if anyone has been to AC in July, what's the weather like? From the charts it appears to be their rainy season. I don't mind the rain, we get wet anyway, but I hope the seas aren't rough.

Thanks!

islanddream

It may or may not rain. When it rains in AC, my experience is that it rains for 20-40 minutes at a shot, not all day. Frequently, it rains at night. July should be relatively calm unless there is a hurricane offshore. Then, all best are off. I don't recall seeing any of the local dive boats doing cattle boat type dives. Most of the local boats are small. I have seen cattle snorkel trips. YMMV. The longer trips all seem to be a little cattlish, but big boats for long trips are much better. Trust me.

Islanddream: I am diving with Reef adventures with my girlfriend next week, planning on 7 days of diving from May 28th onwards. Yeah Cap'n Ron (I too am not sure what his real name is) originally wanted half of the full cost, but I ended up just paying for the first day and will see where we go from there. They seem pretty good from the reviews. My gf is extremely new to diving and we wouldn't feel comfortable on a cattle boat, ended up choosing reef adventures because they seem like a small operator.

Hey ScubaERDoc:
Please do a report when you get back and let us know how your trip went with Reef Adventures. It's always so helpful to get as much info as possible before booking. I hope your gf gets "hooked" on diving! It's such a great sport to be able to share with a partner.

Have a blast!

islanddream

My top three are Reef Adventures, Ecologic divers, and Island Divers. Also, Cap'n Ron (is that his real name ?????) stated that we wouldn't be put on a cattle boat and would be able to dive our profile.

None of your choices will be "cattle" boats. All my diving with Island Divers has been with 2-6 people and I believe the other shops are about the same. As far as profiles, It will depend a lot on where you dive, where the surface intervals will occur and the experience of the people diving. Island divers, the only shop that have I recent experience with, routinely go's 50-65 minutes. It generally isn't clock time you run out of, its No Decompression Time. Even with Nitrox. Ken :42:

Is Nitrox readily available on the island? I kind of understood most people just dove with air since many of the dive sites are not very deep. My husband and I are Nitrox certified and I don't know if it's worth it to pay extra for the Nitrox.

islanddream

Back
Top Bottom