Dive shops in Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox 32% is fairly readily available, even though now only one shop (Amigos) produces it. The shops which sell it - most of them - don't generally have oxygen analysers, so if you have your own bring it. This is actually good terrain for recreational nitrox, as most diving is in the 60ft-100ft region. Much deeper than that you can't use it, shallower you don't need it. I don't know where you get the idea that you might not need it if the diving isn't "deep". I recommend you use air for the first dive of the day and consider nitrox for subsequent dives. As yakivet says above, hitting decompression limits is your main problem here, and whilst that won't often happen if you're using nitrox it still can.

Good to see Carlos back in here. I knew he had steel tanks up there but I couldn't remember if there were 100's. Clearly there are. They have an air compressor but AFAIK don't yet have the facility to produce nitrox. For anyone wanting to come here but undecided where to stay & dive, I can strongly recommend TBR. Accommodation, food, ambience and diving (both what you actually see down there and the flexibility to organise it to your own requirements) are all first rate. Staying next door at Sueno del Mar and diving with TBR is the next best.

The shops which sell it - most of them - don't generally have oxygen analysers, so if you have your own bring it.

So if you don't have your own analyzer, which I do, how can you personally check your gas if shop doesn't have one either? My Nitrox manual makes it abundantly clear that you shouldn't use gas you haven't personally checked.

In October '10, we used both Island and Ecologic for diving. Hands down Island was the better dive shop. Rudy has an excellent reputation and loyal following. When we returned, a regular dive buddy, Pete, asked if Rudy was still with Bottom Time. Never mentioned Rudy to Pete but that was the first question he asked.

Nitrox, I was running to serious saturation on the second dives. One dive I had to do some minor decompression stops to keep my computer (Suunto) happy. The problem we encountered was that all the Nitrox tanks we were given were leaking air from the tank neck oring. That is the big one between the tank and the valve. I have discussed the issue with Peter and hopefully Amigos has corrected the problem.

When we get back to SP, it will be Island Divers.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2012 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was March 24th, 2012 at 11:47 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

So if you don't have your own analyzer, which I do, how can you personally check your gas if shop doesn't have one either? My Nitrox manual makes it abundantly clear that you shouldn't use gas you haven't personally checked.

Put your faith in the Lord, set your computer to straight air, and limit your depth/time so oxygen toxicity isn't an issue.

Islanddream: Thanks! I'm sure its gonna be great there. Only 2 more days. I will definitely write a report. Reef Adventures told me that Nitrox is available there for 10 bucks a tank. Not sure if they have an analyzer but I am planning to dive Nitrox. Will let you know if I have any seizures (double knock on wood)

Islanddream: Thanks! I'm sure its gonna be great there. Only 2 more days. I will definitely write a report. Reef Adventures told me that Nitrox is available there for 10 bucks a tank. Not sure if they have an analyzer but I am planning to dive Nitrox. Will let you know if I have any seizures (double knock on wood)

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your trip with Reef Adventures - mine is about 6 weeks away. I also am planning on Nitrox and also do not have an analyzer.

Thanks ScubaERDoc....I'll can't wait to read your report. Happy and safe diving!

islanddream

Put your faith in the Lord, set your computer to straight air, and limit your depth/time so oxygen toxicity isn't an issue.
More like pray to the Lord that you have whatever your sticker says you have.

Jeez, you guys. If you have the $$ to go dive off Belize, surely you can spring for an analyzer. I recommend the Analox O2EII. So simple to maintain and use, even I can do it. Analox maintains a presence on this board, btw, if you have any questions or comments for them.

Nitrox 32% is fairly readily available, even though now only one shop (Amigos) produces it. The shops which sell it - most of them - don't generally have oxygen analysers, so if you have your own bring it. This is actually good terrain for recreational nitrox, as most diving is in the 60ft-100ft region. Much deeper than that you can't use it, shallower you don't need it. I don't know where you get the idea that you might not need it if the diving isn't "deep". I recommend you use air for the first dive of the day and consider nitrox for subsequent dives. As yakivet says above, hitting decompression limits is your main problem here, and whilst that won't often happen if you're using nitrox it still can.

Good to see Carlos back in here. I knew he had steel tanks up there but I couldn't remember if there were 100's. Clearly there are. They have an air compressor but AFAIK don't yet have the facility to produce nitrox. For anyone wanting to come here but undecided where to stay & dive, I can strongly recommend TBR. Accommodation, food, ambience and diving (both what you actually see down there and the flexibility to organise it to your own requirements) are all first rate. Staying next door at Sueno del Mar and diving with TBR is the next best.

Don't mind me....I'm suffering from a bad case of the flu and on drugs! Interesting that you say use Nitrox for the second dive. We have friends that we went diving with in Coz and they used Nitrox for the first dive (deepest) and air for the second. A matter of perference maybe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom