Dive story segment on NBC Today Show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone point me towards them?

I read an article in the Guardian that seemed to suggest the whole thing was a set-up. Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to. Here's the article:

Fishier and fishier... Now boat captain voices doubts over shark couple's 'ordeal' | Mail Online

One of the main points was that it was "odd" that they were wearing full suits and hoods in "tropical" waters but a search of recent water temps in the area shows they've been around 70 for the last week or so. I don't know about you but 70 degrees isn't exactly toasty for me. I wear a full 7 mil suit, hood and gloves just about all the time especially if I'm in and out and in the wind, etc.

Chris

The wetsuits don't bother me...I often go for more than I need just as a precaution. It's the having an agent within hours of being rescued part that sends up a red flag with me. Wonder if you check into their finances prior to this what you would find.

I also like the part about how they were certain their insurance would cover the search costs. Sounds like someone has been reading up!

You can bet that what ever insurance they have. The company will do a full investigation.

Actually, they were referring to DAN insurance. She brought it up on her interview with Matt Lauer (in a semi-confused way), and inferred that their DAN insurance would cover all rescue costs. I'll have to take a look at that... I have DAN insurance and knew they covered life-flighting, chamber rides, etc... however, I'm not sure about covering SAR costs...

Actually, they were referring to DAN insurance. She brought it up on her interview with Matt Lauer (in a semi-confused way), and inferred that their DAN insurance would cover all rescue costs. I'll have to take a look at that... I have DAN insurance and knew they covered life-flighting, chamber rides, etc... however, I'm not sure about covering SAR costs...

I don't recall my DAN insurance covering Search and Rescue....transport to Chamber, Chamber fee, etc. But nothing like this.

I don't recall my DAN insurance covering Search and Rescue....transport to Chamber, Chamber fee, etc. But nothing like this.

I agree - I think it's just a way to divert the media away from who will pay for the cost of the search and rescue. Ultimately I believe it will be the Australian public. Not much the Aussie state and federal government can do once they leave Australia.

It would be great if DAN could make a statement as to what their coverage is.

DAN via Assist America will cover rescue. HOWEVER, they must be contacted first to coordinate a rescue before they will step up and pay for it. FURTHER, the coverage is related to a medical related rescue not for being lost.

They are NOT Instructors....

She is a dive Master!

The instructor comment was orignially posted by another member. I simply stated that I missed that.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom