Dive Team Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have NOT read the report but I do know an absolute fact.
Weights placed in the zippered pocket outboard from the weight compartments will not release when the Ripcord handle is pulled.
The pocket may LOOK like a safe place to put an extra 10 # weight, but it's not.
And trim weights are not released by deploying the Ripcord either.

That's a good thought, that perhaps the weights were put in the wrong pocket. Otherwise it's hard to see how the system cannot release the weights.

It's long thread but here's the press release link again

Officer Schock investigation results

There's a video there that shows the BC in question to be a Zeagle Ranger.

Perhaps someone from Zeagle should inspect the BC's that allegedly failed to release.

Last edited:
That's a good thought, that perhaps the weights were put in the wrong pocket. Otherwise it's hard to see how the system cannot release the weights.

It's long thread but here's the press release link again

There's a video there that shows the BC in question to be a Zeagle Ranger.

Perhaps someone from Zeagle should inspect the BC's that allegedly failed to release.

Question: Why did you decide to post with a title like "Zeagle Rip-Cord Failure" which implies that their equipment failure caused this fatality?

Its an accident with a lot of questions, false facts spread by incompetent media and assumptions.

Its pretty obvious there is a lot more to this than gear failure.

Question: Why did you decide to post with a title like "Zeagle Rip-Cord Failure" which implies that their equipment failure caused this fatality?

Its an accident with a lot of questions, false facts spread by incompetent media and assumptions.

Its pretty obvious there is a lot more to this than gear failure.

When I read the thread, the conclusion at the end of the investigation by the dive team was that the release mechanism failed to function. I posted it here because details such as this get lost in the Accident Forum, and when there is a specific claim like this it's good for the manufacturer and those who use the BC to be aware of it. To be more scientific and skeptical I should have titled it Alleged Rip-cord System Failure.

However even if the problem was user error as through improper threading or incorrect weight placement it's still good for the users to be aware of the pitfall, as it could happen to someone else.

I have my Zeagle BC for 7 years and have never had it professionally serviced. That said, I have pulled my ripcord many times both on land and in a pool to test the system, and to practice rethreading, and not one time has my system failed to dump the weights.

Something just isn't quite jelling for me that 12 Rangers could all have ripcords that fail at the same time....it just makes no sense given the simplicity of the system. I can't help but think that someone modified the ripcords, threaded them wrong, or simply put the weights in the wrong pockets. We'll probably never know for sure.....

When we are perfectly weighted we should float fairly easily at depth not sink like an anchor. Then if someone dropped their trim weights alone it should in theory be enough to start floating to the surface. (Depending on how much they use) With it being 2 pouches that are velcro closure it should be a no brainer that they should open easily and fall easily.

Also if you pull the rip cord completely out there is absolutely nothing inside the pocket to keep the weight from falling. So how 12 of these could fail is an amazing question to ask. Also as previously mentioned what about oral inflation? Sounds to me like the training level of the team is in question. 40 pounds of weight also would lead me to believe they were dry suit diving or wearing a farmer john. What type of suit were they wearing at the time?

I think all the information needed is in this news report.

Watch the video they provide
1) That is not a Zeagle power inflator.
2) 40lbs of lead is 10lbs over the BC pocket specs of 30 lbs
3) 40lbs, a full AL tank and regulator is beyond the lift capacity of a Ranger with a functioning inflator.

I tried to enlarge the still photo they have of the diver to see how it was rigged and things just don't look right. I assume its not current but I noticed the BCD is not a ranger and the back up reg around his neck is on the top hose of the X pattern regulator. He has a bright yellow primary hose running under his other hoses. I wouldn't dive with him.

This looks like a big bag of eff-ups that didnt have a hard time aligning into a dead diver.
I can only hope he wasn't taught to dive like this and this police department is obviously doing a lot of damage control.

. 40 pounds of weight also would lead me to believe they were dry suit diving or wearing a farmer john. What type of suit were they wearing at the time?

I tried to see in the still photo what it was and it 'might' be a crushed neoprene dry suit but I didnt see an additional inflation hose unless he had it running under the right arm. If he was wearing a dry suit he should have been able over inflate it and float but they way these guys were running things, those were probably broken too.

Last note, when use my dry suit with a puffy undies ive never needed 40 lbs of weight. Only the sponge dock divers down her use that much so they can walk on the bottom without fins.

As a highly trained rescue dummy that uses a Zeagle Ranger, I'm having a hard time believing that there were multiple failures of the rip cord system unless there were some custom modifications to the BCDs. Every time I was "rescued" the damn thing worked and I would have to restring the cord. Even if the ripcord were to break, the back trim weights are easy to reach, as are the zippers on the weight pockets. I'm guessing that these divers have never practicing removing their weights underwater and did not seem to be familiar with their own equipment to have his buddy remove his weights.

Aside from all the gross failures that others have already pointed out, being a police officer or fireman, and a certified diver, does not equal a public safety diver. Unfortunately, Homeland Security grants have allowed many departments to purchase all sorts of equipment that have little value without adequate training and maintenance programs.

There is a news conference given by the police chief here:
Full press conference on Schock's death | WAVY.com | Chesapeake

It really should have been given by a dive expert as the chief is very vague. But I gather the power inflator had been swapped on this BC, which may explain why it's not a Zeagle inflator. The rip-cord mechanism definitely looks very Zeagle which means the BC was Zeagle. I understand the deflate button broke off and the spring fell out, effectively leaving the deflate mechanism open as though the button was pressed, so it could not hold air.

As far as the weight release mechanism the description is very vague, but there was some implication the plastic cord could not be pulled out perhaps because the weight pockets were overloaded and had locked the cord by friction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom