"Dive to Bermuda Triangle" on Discovery Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiny Bubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
"Dive to Bermuda Triangle" airs Sunday, May 2 at 9:00 PM Eastern on the Discovery Channel

I just saw the preview. Hopefully it will be cool.

link: http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/quest/quest.html

-Tiny-B.

P.S. Will a suunto SK7 wrist compass work correctly when diving on the wrecks of the Bermuda Triangle, or will it just spin round and round like on the other Bermuda Triangle shows?

As long as you're not below the equator, the compass will work properly. Otherwise it'll get confused. Be sure to ask for a "left handed compass" or it'll point south.
If Linda Blair is spotted though, the compass won't be the only thing that's spinning.
Keep in mind the date of this posting, tomorrow things will be back to normal. :wink:
The Great Lakes Triangle has claimed many more ships & planes than the puny Bermuda Triangle has.

Bob3:
As long as you're not below the equator, the compass will work properly. Otherwise it'll get confused. Be sure to ask for a "left handed compass" or it'll point south.
If Linda Blair is spotted though, the compass won't be the only thing that's spinning.
Keep in mind the date of this posting, tomorrow things will be back to normal. :wink:
The Great Lakes Triangle has claimed many more ships & planes than the puny Bermuda Triangle has.

The metal of a shipwreck site will normally corrupt your compass reading. As you get near a wreck, you need to switch over to natural nav.

I know Bob3 knows that. I think he just forgot.

Tiny Bubbles:
"
P.S. Will a suunto SK7 wrist compass work correctly when diving on the wrecks of the Bermuda Triangle, or will it just spin round and round like on the other Bermuda Triangle shows?

I think he was refering to problems reported in the bermuda triangle with compasses and other strange phenomenon in that area. At least that was my take on it.

Oooh, now it's getting good. That was awesome video of the destroyer being ripped up by the giant bubble.

archman:
Oooh, now it's getting good. That was awesome video of the destroyer being ripped up by the giant bubble.
That is how depth charges rip apart a submarine. A small pressure change caused by an explosion will be transferred in all directions around the explosion source. Torpedo's actually do more damage if they never hit the ship, rather explode a certain distance from underneath the target. Theoretically, a methane explosion could cause this effect, but it would have to be huge! An underwater earthquake could cause this as well.

Makes you wonder what would have happened during the Cold War if a nuclear torpedo went off inside a carrier battle group. Better yet, dropping one of them nuclear depth charges on SSBN's; yeah that'd be something to watch.

the problem with the compass in bermuda triangle could be caused by a simple highly concentrated area of rock containing magnetic material, creating a "magnetic anomilly"
as for ships crashing... the methane bubble theory is very viable... but some of the other freaky stuff.... i have no idea.... has anyone heard this "giant turtle theory" ?
happy diving,

The story flow was positively awful, like it wasn't so much as outlined ahead of time. If the show wasn't so bleeding entertaining I would have shut it off in disgust.

I find it ironic that the two most important components of the show were least explored.
1. The flight that Hawke's is looking for. So where are they? We spent all this time watching a great historical reenactment, and where do they go with it? Nowhere!
2. Massive & episodic gas hydrate eruptions off the Florida coast. Can we monitor it now? Did it sink any ships? What the ^&* is going on with it?!

This show is really three or four separate stories, not one. Seems like a rush production to me... could've tacked on another hour easy with better follow-up and flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom