Dive Trip Locations, Recommendations Please, Experienced Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hutchinson...who do you recommend in Tonga for the whale snorkel ?

There are lots of companies in Vava'u that offer this and I tried two companies over 4 days. We started with Dolphin Pacific Diving as they have great reviews on tripadvisor however when comparing stories on an evening at the local restaurant everybody recommended 'Beluga' and the photos they showed me were outstanding. We booked 2 days with Beluga and they were fantastic. They went out of there way to look for the whales and the boat was much bigger, more comfortable and less cramped then Dolphin Pacific. On one of the days we were swimming up close with a mother and calf for over an hour then on the 2nd day we were swimming with 8 adults. Vava'u itself is a beautiful place, very laid back with very little happening. We stayed at 'Mystic Sands' which was great. It was a 10 min drive out of town but had self catering facilities and a taxi to take you into town on demand. Most of the hotels and resorts in Vava'u were quite basic.

Well I suppose it depends on your budget more than anything. Higher end out of this world locations include Galapagos, Raja Ampat (Indo), Carls ultimate reef (PNG), and Komodo. Or on a more moderate budget Fiji, The Philippines, Maldives or Solomons may be worth a look.

Happy holiday planning :)

Raja Ampat is clearly on the maybe list but seems to be slightly out of season in late September / Early October. True?

Peace

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 01:37 PM ----------

BTW, any liveaboard recommendations for Palau other than the Aggressor/Siren/Ocean Hunter?
Something off the map?

It's been a while but as an update, we've decided on Palau. First week land-based diving staying at Palau Pacific. The 2nd week will be liveaboard the Solitude. We chose that over the Dancer because the dates worked much, much better for us. Does anyone have experience with Solitude in Palau?

Glad to hear you picked Palau. We liked Fiji, we actually got married there and went back, but it wouldn't be one of the top dive destinations we've experienced. Those would be French Polynesia -- really the best, but expensive; Raja Ampat, Indonesia; and Palau is probably third. Fiji ranks for us in the next group of good spots with the Maldives and the Great Barrier Reef.

If it's not too late to adjust your land plans, I strongly suggest staying on Pelileu. Most of the good dive sites are there and you'll save yourself a long boat ride in the morning. Whatever you do, don't miss Jellyfish Lake, it's the unique highlight of Palau. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom