dive trip to Gensan, Mindanao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kupu

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been meaning to post a report on a trip I took to southern Mindanao a few weeks ago. I guess now is a good time since I missed my flight to Coron this morning and am now hanging out on Scubaboard in Netopia listening to some excellent chillout dub on Live 365 to pass the hours.

I took a flight from Manila to Gensan where I was picked up at the airport and taken down to South Point Divers. A very nice location with the dive shop looking over the waters of Sarangani Bay. I enjoyed the time spent diving with Paul along the sites of Tinoto Wall and a couple of offshore reefs in the area, Maasim Reefs I think? I unfortunately don't have my logbook on hand to reference...Easy to spend a few days just around Tinoto Wall exploring the sites. Rocky Beach with its resident turtle and Napoleon Wrasse usually around, the Abyss, Sandbar are all nice. Thanks Paul!

After my weekend diving Tinoto I went into Gensan to stay at Cambridge Farm Hotel and dive with Chris Dearne of Tuna City Divers. Chris usually went to Maharlika Beach for diving where there is a good shallow reef to explore. I saw and photographed my first mandarin fish in the staghorn patch, very happy to have finally found one! Also saw some other interesting critters there including a weedy scorpionfish and the resident school of yellowtail barracuda.

I was also lucky to be able to dive some of the sites further away from Gensan with the help of John Heitz, a guy who exports tuna from Gensan to the US. After he finished the mornings work of buying and boxing the days tuna order at the fishport, we would decide where to go for the diving. As a result I got to do dives at: Tuka Reef which has lots of nice staghorn coral. Lumuyon has several excellent offshore reefs which had very good coral cover and lots of fish life. And ranking among my favorite individual dive sites in the Philippines was Luyon reef of Maitum. Lots of fish life, blue spotted rays, 7-8 blacktip reef sharks seen over 3 dives, lots of huge table corals some 10+ feet diameter, and a big patch of cabbage coral. Manga reef was worth diving but not quite as good as Luyon, disappointing to see a trap there with a blacktip and 5 blue spotted rays inside. Sorry if my spelling is not exact on some of the names, arrgh wish I had my log book, but I think the locations are in order.

Chris and John are making concrete reef domes and getting lots of them in the water on a regular schedule along with the help of South Point Divers. After less than a year the domes are getting hard and soft coral growing, helped along by transplanting coral tips onto them, and the fish seem happy to have the additional habitat. A couple of nice dome patches around Maharlika and in front of South Point Divers to check out among other places. I think it is great to see how simple it could be to help restore areas that have been dynamited or otherwise in need of a helping hand. http://sunstar.com.ph/static/gen/2005/06/22/feat/domes.for.the.future.html It seems like there is a lot of potential for positive long term results with this project.

Here are a few other links, http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/gen/2005/06/13/feat/best.kept.secrets.of.sarangani.bay.html,http://www.tunadive.com/4466.html,http://www.southpointsaranganibay.com/

I spent about two weeks diving around Gensan and would happily go back for two more. Good prices and quality diving made for a worthwhile trip. Now, if I can just manage make my flight tomorrow morning...

I just noticed that I finally got a bite on this thread. Paul, good to hear from you! I hope to make it down your way again later this year. Right now I'm slaving away at work trying to get the funds for this years travels. Anybody getting any use out of the Force Fins I left behind?

Well the force fins are still here. I tried them out twice but it takes a while to get used to. And as you well know, the currents here are no place to start practicing with a new set of fins, especially these, which are so radically diffrent from what I use.

Hope to see you soon. The reef is still here.

thought I'd dig up this thread since I've been told you're the man to call about diving in Gensan. Paul, How are the conditions in late Aug/ early Sept (barring the odd typhoon...). You wouldn't have a website for your dive op/ resort?

Well thank you very much for that.

Like the rest of the Philippines, it is hit and miss from now till November. More hits than miss though. November to early January is more miss than hits. The rest of the year is all hits. Make sense? haha

Seriously, visibililty is down but the same as the rest of the country, I am told.

Paul, thanks for the response. In terms of Sarangani Bay, you think 4 days is enough time to appreciate the dive sites around there. Do you recommend anywhere else nearby Gensan that might be worthwhile to visit?

pakman:
Paul, thanks for the response. In terms of Sarangani Bay, you think 4 days is enough time to appreciate the dive sites around there. Do you recommend anywhere else nearby Gensan that might be worthwhile to visit?
for you packy i'd reco a sidetrip to jolo... then hit on the local women... oh, and make sure someone is there to video it hehehehehe

hope you make to gensan though... and post lotsa pix... i'm pissed i wasn't able to go

Jag

sure... I'll make sure I wrap myself in an American flag, announce myself as a Christian missionary and then harass the local muslim women...

I should be news on CNN in no time... crazy korean american beaten silly and held hostage in Jolo... His employer and family deny any relationship to the hostage...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom