Dive Video 12/12/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DUDE ..........

I find most dive videos, even those shot by experts, to be way way way way boring... Unless they have a good scientist doing a voice over....

This was..... well......... *&^%$#g awesome!!!!!!

1> It was an area that I am interested in. So you had me all the way to the metridium field. Something that I have been interested in going out to for a while... (I would love to see the unedited video!). I saw the pipe, understood following it. Good for people that are interest in this site and have not dived it.

2> The shots of the Metridium were good for the visibility.

3> Then just about the time my interest started to flag the slightest. (I was thinking ok we get to go back now, I wonder what that route looks like?) Bammm there is a Mola!!! WAY TO GO... I want to see one of these so so so bad!!!!!!

4> You kept me for the rest of the video because well you earned it!

Now for constructive criticism...
The music was a bit rough... I liked each of the songs after the transition, but the transitions through the different types of music was abrupt and distracting...

If you had not made the video especially for me, then you could edit out some of it and have a tighter story to tell...

Thanks for reading my mind, driving down there, getting air fills, loading the memory card in your camera, suiting up, and then filming exactly what I thought you should! Great casting by the way.. I didn't think we had the budget for that kind of star talent! Props good, more color in the dive suits next time though, talk to the costume department about that. Not enough contrast! I am going to have send you a friend request!!!!!! :)

Guy
:)

Just a few notes:
  • Slow down - stop on a subject for at least 30 seconds - edit it down to 5 seconds.
  • When panning, go slower. When you think you are going slow enough, slow down some more.
  • When editing, decide what you are trying to communicate. Cut anything that does not deliver a clear, in focus, properly exposed image.
  • Frame your subject. Stop and look at the screen, decide if the image would look good as a still image.
  • When filming divers, don't follow/show their butts, side profiles are OK but it's best to show their face or the diver doing something interesting.
  • I like music but only if it adds something to the video. It should deliver a message.

I'd like to see the video again, edited down to 1:30 - 2:00.

Overall it was a pretty good start.

I usually turn on Itunes radio if a dive video does not have music or if the music was removed due to copyrite reasons. As far as swimming fast, I am guilty of that to stay warm.

Just a few notes:
  • Slow down - stop on a subject for at least 30 seconds - edit it down to 5 seconds.
    Definitely wished I had done this
  • When panning, go slower. When you think you are going slow enough, slow down some more.
    I prefer a more POV point of view, which doesn't always have slow panning. But I can see there were some times where it was just ridiculous. I get a little spazzy when I'm excited.
  • When filming divers, don't follow/show their butts, side profiles are OK but it's best to show their face or the diver doing something interesting.
    Once again, POV aspect, for the most part. And specifically in this case I couldn't really help the butt part
  • I like music but only if it adds something to the video. It should deliver a message.

To aikiguy:
I worked hard to get the transitions to be the best with what I had. Even I'm still not happy with it. =[
I could send you the raw footage if you'd really like. Just PM me.

Thanks everyone for your input!
I'll definitely work on a bunch of stuff next time I'm out w/ my camera. =]

You're doing great. There is the diver/cameraman aspect and the filmmaker/editor aspect that all of us who photograph underwater must consider. Reading all the responses here tell me that each opinion on your video is unique. Opinions and responses should not be your primary concern IMO. There are as many styles of videos as there are divers with a camera. "Avatar" or "The Big Lebowski" "Planet Earth" or "Survivorman"... each style is different. Decide who your audience is.. and have fun.

I am also a beginner at the very bottom of my learning curve.. .. although I enjoy and respect the most common dive video style here on the board, I feel I want to go in a different direction... I personally would like to hear more narration and bring the music to the background. Here is a good 10 minute video with some good underwater content - not everyone's cup of tea but of interest to most divers:

YouTube - Devil's Teeth

Thanks for sharing the video. You did a good job, and I enjoyed watching it. I agree with the comments from other divers. I found myself getting distracted with the initial music until 3:19 when the vocals started. I viewed the video that bluegrass posted a link to, and liked the narration. Perhaps a mixture of dive sounds, good music during the visually boring sections, and narration with the interesting video content. Seeing the Mola Mola was awesome.

I also meant to mention the mola mola... which in my opinion makes any video super cool. I would have headed straight after that guy!

I think it would be cool and educational to see some pre dive routine (suiting up, pre dive checks, time out, redundancy checks) and meetings make it into the videos, just to show folks here what goes into dive safety.

I think it would be cool and educational to see some pre dive routine (suiting up, pre dive checks, time out, redundancy checks) and meetings make it into the videos, just to show folks here what goes into dive safety.

Well that would be a problem actually.
When my camera is in it's case, it pretty much won't capture any noise above the surface 6~6
I second the opinion though, I think it'd be really cool. But I just don't have that amount of motivation as a videographer xD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom