Dive vigilante

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skywalk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Please help me out here.
How should we deal with dive vigilantes? My own experience with them was this really violent guy who yanked me down a meter by pulling on my fin, then he started pinching me on my arms and hands. All the while he was giving me dagger eyes like I murdered his familiy or something. I was too stunned to do anything but I just stared at him with my eyes wide open, and then I shooed him away by waving my hand and pushing away.

another incident involved a dagger and the vigilante pulled the victim's mask off, waved the dagger at him, and threatened to kill him if he didnt stop kneeling on the sandy bottom.

so, what to do in scenarios like these?

:shocked:

I suddenly feel very privileged with the company I dive with...

Ok maybe I am missing something but what are dive vigilanties? And why do they go around doing stuff like that to people? It sounds very dangerous and horrible what happened to you :(

I don't know what I would do in a situation like that, especially as I am not that experienced... :\

If another diver threatens you with his knife use your own. If the diver is still alive when you suface report it to the police as an agravated assault. If not, call the coroner.

Take control of the situation, drag him to the surface and proceed to beat the snot out of him!

Perhaps a bit more detail from the OP as to the circumstances. What happened right before you were yanked down a meter by your fin? What happened to the other diver right before he/she was threatened with their own dive knife. I'm not condoning pulling another diver's mask off or threatening/abusing them in any way. But it's been my experience that stuff like this doesn't happen without some kind of provocation. If I saw a beginner diver starting to enter a wreck (especially into a small opening with lots of dangling wires), then I might grab their fin to stop them. If I saw a diver using their knife to deface a cave wall then I might take the knife away from them even if they were on a sandy bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom