Dive vigilante

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hahahaha I love this board! ok now to answer some questions:
- No this is not an april fool's prank. I was physically assulted by that crazy guy and in retrospect, I think he didnt like the fact that I was wearing a glove because people who wear gloves might be tempted to touch coral and kill them.

- the knife wielding occurance is documented in the latest copy of fins magazine or asian diver magazine..cant remember which one. The victim was a prominent photographer who was kneeling in sand taking pics. He was pulled off the sand and when the photographer explained it was sand and not coral he was kneeling on, and proceeded to return to his spot, his mask was yanked off and a knife was waved in his face.

- As to reporting, I did tell the captain, and my entire resort after my incident. nobody cared, and nothing was done. I would love to stick my 2-3" knife into that bastard, but that would cause more trouble than that idiot's worth. I almost ran out of air that dive cus my heart was thumping so fast and hard, and I was fuming mad. Users of the Scubapro galileo would be proud to see my HR monitor!!

I was pissed, felt helpless, annoyed, and thats a killer combination

Seriously though, what kind of foofoo pansy boy PINCHES a fellow diver!!!??? I mean, come on!!! HAHAHA

I suggest finding new dive buddys or not looking for trouble.

Ive never experienced,seen or even heard of any sort of incident with anyone i know or who have dived with so its incredibly rare.

I do however vaguely recall diver magazine mentioning the photographer incident only in their version of the story the photographer was actually resting his fin on some coral to get a shot. That changes the whole complexion.

Even if someone is kneeling in coral or on an endangered animal, or whatever I don't think that warrants another threating them with a knife... or even pulling a mask off. Plenty of people around me each day do stupid things but I can't (and wouldn't) go around threatening them with physical violence. Makes you as bad as them.

I suggest finding new dive buddys or not looking for trouble.

Ive never experienced,seen or even heard of any sort of incident with anyone i know or who have dived with so its incredibly rare.

I do however vaguely recall diver magazine mentioning the photographer incident only in their version of the story the photographer was actually resting his fin on some coral to get a shot. That changes the whole complexion.
yes resting on coral is WRONG. But is it worth pulling out a knife and threatening someone over?

spitting on the ground is wrong. Littering is wrong. Spray painting graffiti on walls is wrong.
Would you pull a knife on land, on someone over any of that, or over anything that culture/society labels as wrong?

These people are not buddies. I have a group of awesome friends who dive with me. These are "drive-by assults" by various groups of vigilantes, who although their motives might be noble, have ZERO social skills. Their concept of morality, socially accepted norms, right and wrong, and their iron-hand approach to dealing with issues which conflict with their paradigm of UW related activities is...messed up. (wanted to use another word there hehehe)

Wow - where did i say i approve of pulling a knife for that? Merely showing that the one story claimed there may have been a slight reason for it whereas the other didn't.

Spray painting graffiti on walls is wrong.
Would you pull a knife on land, on someone over any of that, or over anything that culture/society labels as wrong?

If i caught someone spraying my wall or house i'd LIKE to beat them to within an inch of their lives and have them jailed but sadly i cant as UK law protects the criminals not the victims.

Underwater rage is so there that if someone keeps experiencing it you have to wonder why they seem to attract it.

Well string, at the end of your comment you said "That changes the whole complexion."

I was saying I don't think it did. It changes nothing for me and that is what I was trying to say with my comment.

If i caught someone spraying my wall or house i'd LIKE to beat them to within an inch of their lives and have them jailed but sadly i cant as UK law protects the criminals not the victims.

Repeat after me --- I did not beat him, he tripped and fell down when he was running away. Or --- he tripped and fell down as he rushed to attack me.:14:

The first article would hint that the poor photographer did nothing that could even offend anyone at all (although i think touching anything is a bad thing). The second hinted his actions could have annoyed people.
If i saw it would it annoy me? Yes
Would i attack him? No
Would i report him to the boat operator? Yes
Would i report him to the government agency in places like egypt that clamp down hard on that? Yes

There are legal channels for making sure he doesn't do it again.

Repeat after me --- I did not beat him, he tripped and fell down when he was running away. Or --- he tripped and fell down as he rushed to attack me.:14:

People tried that here - you end up paying them compensation.

After all, if you hadn't shouted and scared them they wouldn't have been running so wouldn't have fallen.

(and yes that has actually happened here - victims paying criminals compensation because they hurt themselves in a burglary etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom