Dive vigilante

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah I misunderstood too. "That changes the whole complexion." at first glance seemed like you agreed with the vigilante. I take it back.

Underwater rage is so there that if someone keeps experiencing it you have to wonder why they seem to attract it.

Man I really hope you're right. I've experienced it once and hope it'll never happen again!

If i caught someone spraying my wall or house i'd LIKE to beat them to within an inch of their lives and have them jailed but sadly i cant as UK law protects the criminals not the victims.

Hahaha thats brilliant! Sounds like you had a rough experience with the law in the past.
If I were as built as Kimbo slice i'd probably beat them to within an inch of their life too!

Please help me out here.
How should we deal with dive vigilantes? My own experience with them was this really violent guy who yanked me down a meter by pulling on my fin, then he started pinching me on my arms and hands. All the while he was giving me dagger eyes like I murdered his familiy or something. I was too stunned to do anything but I just stared at him with my eyes wide open, and then I shooed him away by waving my hand and pushing away.

another incident involved a dagger and the vigilante pulled the victim's mask off, waved the dagger at him, and threatened to kill him if he didnt stop kneeling on the sandy bottom.

so, what to do in scenarios like these?

This is where we use the term "buddy" a bit differently here in NJ...

As in "Hey buddy, quit being an @sshole, or I'm going to take that blade from you and install a new relief valve in your drysuit while you're wearing it, right here, right now. Hear me, buddy?"

People tried that here - you end up paying them compensation.

After all, if you hadn't shouted and scared them they wouldn't have been running so wouldn't have fallen.

(and yes that has actually happened here - victims paying criminals compensation because they hurt themselves in a burglary etc).

I would say to the court that I never shouted, nor would I say that I scared them away. I would protest that THEY startled me. Next I would beat the policeman and warn him that if he ever drags me into court again instead of the offending hooligan that he will pay dearly. Some of the old Soviet bloc tactics work very well regarding Parlimentary proceedings and Law. But I would never do anything like that, or at least admit to it.:no

1. If they are wearing split fins I never worry they can't catch me! :D

2. The best way to handle a out of control or belligerent divers is to back-off and Hi-Jack their fins! They are helpless but safe! They can only go up and wait to have the fins returned! You can't be accused of taking their air or endangering them, but they become your itch real quick! They are neutralized in now time at all! If they have a knife I might even cut their fin strap if that was the only way!

3. Once on the surface or the boat you can demand salvage expense to return the fins! Then tell them that next time you won't be so nice with a smile and a little laugh, mention Farbure Beans and make that funny noise with your mouth! You will never have a problem with them again! :no

So You're the one! I thought it must be some crazed bull shark that had it in for my fins!

You owe me 1.5 sets of XXL Jetfins big boy! That's 2 lefts and one right! I will not pay the "salvage" extortion fee. Ship me my fins dude....or something could happen to your cameras!

MY point your totally helpless and you'll get your fins when I have your credit card number! :D:eyebrow::mooner:

If someone acts in a threatening way towards me, we'll have a VERY candid discussion back on the boat or shore. If someone pulls a knife on me, or pulls off my mask, you can be certain I'll be waiting for them to surface and it won't be to talk. That is just way over the top BS, and is certainly assault.

Leisurepro has my VISA card # and I have enough Jets to make it happen capt.

It's bad enough that I get to dodge the mud balls in the cooper river in two weeks, but I'd really like to have my missing fins back.

Maybe he mistook your for a buddy?

You know... the ole "quit dickin around we have some serious diving to do" signal.

I highy suggest you review your hand signals...

If someone acts in a threatening way towards me, we'll have a VERY candid discussion back on the boat or shore. If someone pulls a knife on me, or pulls off my mask, you can be certain I'll be waiting for them to surface and it won't be to talk. That is just way over the top BS, and is certainly assault.

My sentiments exactly! However he wasn't from our dive resort. And I doubt I would have recognized him on land without his mask and gear on. I tried taking a pic of him actually. But it was slughtly blur. That and that chick he was diving with actually swam in-between me and him, and folded her arms, and glared at me.

I really hope he's reading this thread. Maybe he'll answer and tell me exactly why he pinched me like a girl after yanking my fin like he was a pissed off trigger fish. Such an anti climax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom