Dive Watch for Girls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally dive watches need to be easy to read even if the visibility is not ideal. This tends to take you to a larger face. Also, the band should be long enough to go outside of a wetsuit, which also makes it look a bit clunky. If you go with something more "ladylike" you may find it doesn't work as well as a dive watch.

If you want a basic diving watch with a bezel (no depth reading or logging functions), Seiko's auto-winding dive watches come in small (women's), mid size and regular size. I have the women's version, waterproof to 150m, sturdy, very clear face, no battery required. I find it too heavy for everyday wear, but I like it a lot in the water.

Zept

I thought I would share some information regarding dive watches that was asked by a lady in a BOW class I was assisting in.

She asked if "Water Resistant 50m" was sufficient since she never planned to dive that deep.

The answer to this question is that 50m is not rated for SCUBA diving.

While the watch my be able to withstand the static pressure of that depth, the movement (swimming) of the watch through the water also builds dynamic pressure.

The dynamic pressure can easily exceeed the depth rating on a 50 or 100m watch.

Also, most watches rated for 50 or 100m will flood if a button gets depressed at depth (been there, done that).

200m is generally the shallowest rating that is compatible with SCUBA and a watch with that rating should be fully funtional. i.e. you can push all the buttons you want and it won't flood.

Just something you may wish to keep in mind while shopping.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

200m is generally the shallowest rating that is compatible with SCUBA and a watch with that rating should be fully funtional. i.e. you can push all the buttons you want and it won't flood.

That's really useful information, Cave Diver! I would have probably purchased one for 100m thinking (like the lady in your class) that I would never go that deep. But now I plan to definitely find one rated for 200m.

Thanks for sharing that insight.

TotalAngel :angel:

The Seiko watch I have has just the one post that you have with any simple watch. However it has an O-ring seal and the post screws down. This is hardly a typical watch feature, but it doesn't seem to make the watch unusually expensive.

I think you definitely want a watch that is intended for scuba, not just something advertised as water resistant, regardless of depth to which it is rated.

totalangel once bubbled...

That's really useful information, Cave Diver! I would have probably purchased one for 100m thinking (like the lady in your class) that I would never go that deep. But now I plan to definitely find one rated for 200m.

Thanks for sharing that insight.

TotalAngel :angel:

You're most welcome. And I speak from experience after flooding my 100m Timex @ 175' doing my mix training. NOT the time you want to lose your backup timing device.

Research for a replacement led me to the Casio G-shock line (many of which are available at Wal-mart) and the explanation of depth ratings were taken from the Casio user's manual.

The best thing about this board is that it can keep others from making the same mistakes.

thanks for the depth rating info. The velcro band is what makes most any big-faced (easier to read) watch workable for a tiny wrist. Besides, I've found that the Casio plastic bands don't last very long. I haven't switched out my Mosquito band--it fits perfectly over my wetsuit. Out of water it's bulky, but I can even wear it on my ankle if it's getting too annoying.

I'm looking for watch for my better half.
And after reading here and doing some research i found myself trying to answer couple simple questions :

Why do i want to have a watch if i already have computer and a buddy?

If my computer covers all functions needed than, probably, all i need is a "simple" watch?
Or do i want/need to interesect as many functions as possible?

Still thinking..... :banging:

My daughter is a HUGE fashion bug, on land she wears a fossil watch, in the drink she wears a G_shock (my old one) just like so many others have said on here. Me, I will stick to my mesquito!!

Try a momentum dive watch they fit small wrists and are very easy to see underwater. The watches come in woman's and men's style. They also look great out of the water.
they have a 12 year warrenty as well. though you do have to send it in to get the battery changed but they do a full inspection when you send the watch in.

Back
Top Bottom