Dive watch? I like this one....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Thread, when it's time for me to get a watch/backup this is what i'll be getting.

Citizen JV0010-08E 20th Anniversary

Tag and Omega do not have the styling that I'm looking for and I'm not buying a watch for a "brand name". If I was I'd get a Rolex Limited Edition Submariner and call it a day. The two people I personally know with Rolex's wont wear them because they're too afraid of brusing them, or being robbed of them. Sounds like you know some of that type of person too. .
I wear my Submariner almost every day. It can take a beating. I don't worry about it getting stolen off my wrist much, but I'd think twice about wearing it in certain sections of Newark, say. I didn't buy it to impress anybody; I like that it's an original and has a solid feel to it. I used to wear it diving, but it's a pretty useless dive tool in my opinion, unless your dive plan is "surface at lunchtime."

You're right about that, but bare bones are not the words I would use to describe this watch. Do you know the specs and how the prices stack up against other brands and models with the same specs?

The Orient Star 300M Diver is much more than meets the eye. For those who know what to look for and why also know it's well worth the money for the quality tool that it is. BTW I can get it for right at $1000. Used a bit less although not much less.

Tag and Omega do not have the styling that I'm looking for and I'm not buying a watch for a "brand name". If I was I'd get a Rolex Limited Edition Submariner and call it a day. The two people I personally know with Rolex's wont wear them because they're too afraid of brusing them, or being robbed of them. Sounds like you know some of that type of person too.

I want a watch that I can wear every day for my lifetime and will stand up to my lifestyle.

FWIW the Orient Star brand name is VERY well respected in every part of the world but America. They don't import them here because (many) Americans wouldn't know craftftsmanship if it came up and bit them on the butt.

The accuracy specs are what they advertise for worst case scenarios. Most who own them say those figures are more likely per month, NOT per day. One person who I've been speaking to say's his runs +2 per day consistantly. It does that while being worn every day, shooting high powered rifles and smg's, diving to as deep as 160 fsw, golfing etc. I can live with that for a high quality auto that has the features this one does.

I can and will actually dive with the Orient Star as well wear daily.

Your exactly right, I agree fully with your thoughts on the North American watch market. While I have not heard of the Orient brand it certaily looks and specs impressively. I like watches that have their own unique styling and not a clone of the only "fancy" watch most Amurikans have heard of--Rolex. There is a whole world out there of watches that are every bit the equal of the Rolex, which is a fine watch but kinda small and because it is cloned so much (in terms of style) it just does not look all that unique.:popcorn:

80390685_o.jpg

AquaDive.jpg

N

Nemrod, I was going to say that there are watches marketed to the overseas market that are better than Rolex in quality and cheaper in price, but I did not want to stir the proverbial pot.

I am a newbie after all.

IMG_27941.JPG

My Sub is a standard 16610 with stainless belt. The other is my 80s vintage Seiko Quartz. She has some scratches but I love her as much as the Sub.

Watches are great and the ones your thinking of buying are very nice, however I don't think they are very practical dive gear. I don't wear a watch when diving and I don't think anyone I dive with does either.

If your looking for dive gear and a back up to your cobra get a wrist computer. You can get a decent one for around $300.

Watches are great and the ones your thinking of buying are very nice, however I don't think they are very practical dive gear. I don't wear a watch when diving and I don't think anyone I dive with does either.

If your looking for dive gear and a back up to your cobra get a wrist computer. You can get a decent one for around $300.

Thank you for the sage advice.

I'm not looking for a backup to my computer but when I do it will be a wrist mount something like the Vyper. I have not thought about what brand or style yet. I'm not diving in conditions where I need a backup to my Cobra....yet. If my Cobra dies the dive is over and I'll rely on my dive watch and analog SPG as well as my buddy to get me to the surface safely.

I am however looking for a dive watch, something that I can swim, shower, snorkle, dive and go to work with. Frankly and without any disrespect to you I couldn't care less what anybody else is doing, I want a dive watch I can actually get wet without worry on my wrist every single time I dive.

I know I could spend less for A WATCH, but not one with the specs I've listed. If you can actually find one with all the specs I've listed, for less cash, I'm all ears!

Thanks again for the advice.

My standart watsh is a Junghans solarenergie radiocontrolet,They had foundet

the Armbandwatsh (For Spyballonpilots in the winter so that not must seek ther

watsh.....)as the Radiocontroled watshsytems bevor all else.....

E.L.7*

Huh? I have been using a watch for decades and many divers I know also use a watch as a very practical means of timing a dive. Not everybody uses a computer and when they zonk out you still need a watch and a depth guage and tables if your deco.

N

Back
Top Bottom