Divemaster internships Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DieselDan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there, I’m currently at rescue diver with around 120 dives under my belt, and have a couple of liveaboards coming up that should bring me to around 160. I’ve been looking everywhere for the best internship programs, factoring in what is included/what will provide the best education/what could potentially lead into an instructor program. Has anyone done any divemaster internships in the Caribbean and had a great experience? I’ve been looking at GoPro Cayman and cocoview in Roatan, but found a bunch of other options. I would love to know if anyone else has taken this route, and if they just loved the location and education provided. Thanks!

I did mine where you were asking about- CoCo View in Roatan.

I did have a greatly different background than you’re approaching this with because I’d already been logging more than 4000+.

The entire process of DM and rescue took me 14 days. It was quite an ordeal for somebody of my advanced years, but I banged it out.

if you want to just get something done and get it done quickly and professionally. I can’t speak any more highly then CoCoView & dockside dive centre and Patty Grier.

You will not carry tanks or make coffee but they might ask you to feed Dive shops dog, you’re there for scuba-diving you’re there to learn the dive master process. You’re not there as labour.

CCV as a resort and Dockside as a Scuba school padi five star are two separate entities. Although they work together you’ll be with the padi Dive shop and you will have access to the CoCoView dive operation.

CCV as a resort Dive operation is a well oiled machine that is beyond reproach. You’re going to be spoiled working there, even as an intern DM.

If you’re there for anything other than coursework and learning the process you have all sorts of other options on island and elsewhere.

I want immediately from there to the now defunct ProDive in Fort Lauderdale and breezed through the AI and OWSI program - that was simple, comparatively .

Hi, doc, thank you so much for the insight. Patty and her program had come greatly recommended to me from some of my dive buddies that have known her for 30+ years. I got to meet her over there on a trip I took to Cocoview in June, and she was lovely. It’s nice to hear someone with your experience level speak highly of the program- I really want to pursue this education properly. Thanks for taking the time to give me details regarding your experience.

Patty taught me (during the DM class and again after my OWSI) how to be an instructor.

I had experience with military, commercial and PSD, but i didn’t understand the delicate art of realising when hand-holding was required.

Her best gift? Her interpretation of the UW Naturalist Course- i learned how to find critters, the tricks of macro observation.

CCV and Patty’s dive zone on Roatan? It is specific to small creatures, unlike anywhere else in the Caribbean. So many visitors decry “the lack of fish”. Well, yeah- this highly localised uw terrain is the home of micro, not macro. She can teach the basics of that in one class. Sets you off on a lifetime journey, as are the CCV DMs as well!

Let us know your final decision & how it works out!

Yeah, that’s awesome! Thanks again, I loved all of the smaller, frequently overlooked life that Roatan had to offer. I filled out a form for the divemaster program a few days ago, so here’s to hoping I hear back. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you !

Reactions: Doc
Yeah, that’s awesome! Thanks again, I loved all of the smaller, frequently overlooked life that Roatan had to offer. I filled out a form for the divemaster program a few days ago, so here’s to hoping I hear back. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you !
Best of luck to you. Now go travel the world and make me jealous.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom