Divemaster... PADI Vs. NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will probably taken more seriously by experienced divers and professional organizations like the American Academy of Underwater Sciences or the local university with a NAUI certification.

What a total crock of BS!

There has to be way more experienced divers with a PADI certification than with NAUI just based on the sheer numbers of divers certified by each agency. So why would more experienced divers with a PADI cert. respect divers with a NAUI cert. more?

Respect from fellow divers will come because of a persons ability to dive and how well they perform underwater and not from the card they carry.

No. Don't be silly.

I wasn't really trying to be silly. It just seems your response would be more appropriate for someone who is becoming an instructor at this point and not a DM.

BDSC:
I wasn't really trying to be silly. It just seems your response would be more appropriate for someone who is becoming an instructor at this point and not a DM.

The time to decide is before going pro - with PADI that's DM, with NAUI that's AI.

WOW I was not expecting so many responses!! Listen I do not mean to start a war.

To anwser some questions... I do plan to go instructor.. Even further if my wallet can handle it.

Currently i live in the Kansas City area. There are no NAUI instructors here. In fact there is nothing NAUI here. Could this be an advantage? Will it most likley be a disadvantage?

One day I do plan to open my own shop.

I love to teach. I am currently a firearms instructor. I love finding different ways to teach things.

I want to go beyond just teaching open water. I just love the sport of diving and all I want to do is be in the water. I dont care about polictics.

Listen I started diving during a very difficult part of my life. Diving has been my anti-depressant. I have found my soul underwater.

Now that you know a little more about me maybe the advice can be more helpful.

Being the only NAUI Instructor in the area could be an advantage, but not if you need the structure of having a class handed to you. I'd suggest looking beyond NAUI and PADI, you might find an even better match.

jessesmith121:
Now that you know a little more about me maybe the advice can be more helpful

What's your philosophy on teaching? Do you like teaching more or less? Giving students more time to practice or less?

I'm not that familiar with the NAUI standards, but from memory (hopefully someone can clarify) there are some significant differences as to how the term DM is used in each. In PADI, a DM is both a teaching assistant and a dive guide, whereas in NAUI I think you only assist in courses as an AI?

Walter is giving some sound advice - if you are planning to instruct, choose on the basis of which agency gives you what you are looking for in terms of teaching. Personally, I feel that there is very little difference between the two agencies - PADI courses aren't as rigid as many people think; but it does take time to develop the experience to be able to work the system to your advantage.

If your plan is to "open a shop" (crazy fool!!), what actually do you mean by that? Is that a retail facility selling dive gear as well as training, or is it going to be a training only facility?

You have to ask yourself which agency is going to (1) give you the most support, (2) enable you to price courses appropriately and (3) give you the recognition. I genuinely don't know which agency will suit you the best - the fact that there is no NAUI facility in your area may work to your advantage in the sense that you may get a smaller number of motivated students, as opposed to walk in customers "wanting to do their PADI". Part of the decision, I think, is being clear about what your target demographic is as an instructor.

Saying that, if there is no NAUI facility in your area you have to be quite pragmattic about it - how would you do a DM programme? I'm sure there is an option in NAUI standards, just like PADI, that will let you complete it 'fast track' in two weeks. But it's really easy to spot DMs who have done things in this way - our DM programme is to a certain extent self paced, but typically lasts between three and six months. You'd have to speak to the nearest NAUI instructor to you and work out exactly what committment you'd be expected to make.

It's not impossible to crossover from one agency to another - I can't comment on PADI DM would fare in a NAUI ITC, but going the other way there are definitely a few things that you could potentially struggle with. The PADI IDC has no diving skills or knowledge components at all - it is assumed that you learnt everthing as a DM... so things like demonstrating skills, knowing PADI tables etc would be needed. A bright spark who is motivated could probably pick everything up in a few days, I'm sure.

Having the only NAUI shop in the area could be an advantage, but could also be a pitfall. There are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Big advantage if I can convince potential customers that I have something the other guys do not.

2. But where will you gain teaching experience? If there are no other NAUI shops in the area, you'll have to open your own shop and be on your own starting with your first class.

3. Marketing. Who will flip your bill for marketing? Brochures, banners, educational advertisements.

Keep in mind the different "mindsets", if you will, between NAUI and PADI. NAUI is a non-profit organization focused on education. PADI is a for-profit marketing powerhouse that develops education materials, levels of dive centers (IE a PADI 5 star dive center), etc.

Now, which is a "better" structure? It's up to the individual. Some people like working for a non-profit agency. You might have the same view or you might not. Some people see the marketing powerhouse and think that is better for them. It's kind of like asking which is better between Microsoft and Apple. You get die hard fans of both, and for different reasons. Some just want to "stick it to the man" and no matter what company you are, if you are big then you are bad... FYI Linux rules!

What a total crock of BS!

There has to be way more experienced divers with a PADI certification than with NAUI just based on the sheer numbers of divers certified by each agency. So why would more experienced divers with a PADI cert. respect divers with a NAUI cert. more?

Respect from fellow divers will come because of a persons ability to dive and how well they perform underwater and not from the card they carry.

You give me a newly graduated PADI Divemaster and a newly graduated NAUI Divemaster (AI, Dive Con, whatever their called) and have them take the full written and practial AAUS Scinetific Diver Training entry tests and the NAUI diver will score higher every time.

It has nothing to do with experience, it's all about the depth of the training. The fact that PADI has lower experience requirements probably has nothing to do with it either.

PADI is just a better marking organization and you will do better as a sales and promotion business with their backing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom