Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tom!

Thank you for the advice..
But i am just assuming that to be a good uw cameraman you have to be a really good diver first.. for example if i want to film skiing/snowboarding i have to be pretty good a snowboarding not only a good cameraman.. And i just assume that a divemaster internship would be the best and most economic way to do that?
no. diving lots will make you a good diver.

all the DM course teaches you is some extra theory and the beginnings of how to teach students.

I would recommend doing the rescue course anyway, but there's no point in doing DM unless you want to teach/lead.

As a photographer you already know that besides some knowledge of what you are trying to capture having a very stable base is essential. For that I would recommend a course that teaches that and a primer or fundies by GUE or United Team diving would annswer that for you.

@Bracko

Well, that is what i mean!. I am just assuming that a DM internship would be a good way to do a lot of diving in the 6-8 weeks it lasts?. It is pretty cheap to do in Thailand, and you get to dive everyday and (i guess) learn a lot of skills, an become a confident diver.
I have logget about 45 dives, and i just feel that it would be nice to be a "pro" diver.. Be really confident with the computer, all the signals, orientation with the compass and all that. PLus a DM internship would just be fun i guess, and i would get to dive everyday.. So it would be more for all the skills i would learn and all the diving, than it would be to learn to teach. Eventhoug it would be very nice to be able to lead dives, if i for example were with a group of diver and we wanted to go film something:)

@Bracko

Well, that is what i mean!. I am just assuming that a DM internship would be a good way to do a lot of diving in the 6-8 weeks it lasts?. It is pretty cheap to do in Thailand, and you get to dive everyday and (i guess) learn a lot of skills, an become a confident diver.
I have logget about 45 dives, and i just feel that it would be nice to be a "pro" diver.. Be really confident with the computer, all the signals, orientation with the compass and all that. PLus a DM internship would just be fun i guess, and i would get to dive everyday.. So it would be more for all the skills i would learn and all the diving, than it would be to learn to teach. Eventhoug it would be very nice to be able to lead dives, if i for example were with a group of diver and we wanted to go film something:)

I say you have your mind made up. :) Go for it! Be sure to let us know how it goes too :wink:

yeah, perhaps... but there are many ways to get experience.. do you currently have u/w gear?

maybe try and partner with a dive school in Thailand/Philippines/[insert any country here] and be their underwater photographer/videographer and actually practice filming....

else I'd just find a cheap dive store in one of the locations and barter for the best price for a month of diving, 3/4 dives per day for 40 days with 10 days off over the time and you're up 100 dives.

if you're not passionate about teaching you won't be a good DM. Plus it is a significant advantage to be comfortable in the water before starting.

if you're in a position to have a month off, you will get significantly more out of a month of diving than doing a DM course.

DM is worthless unless you are going to do Instructor IMO. Doing Video UW is the opposite of instructing. Your in your world recording but not interacting. As an instructor you are interacting, watching for signs of trouble ready to step in as needed.

If you are dying to do a DM class go for it, but do not kid yourself. There are better ways to train for UW shooting.

Just a short tangent-- I did DM for two reasons. To improve my overall knowledge and competency and to be around students. I was an "introvert" who got into teaching Band due to my talent as a clarinet player. I successfully (I think) CHANGED my personality in order to relate to students. This was not easy, but I enjoyed a long teaching career with countless rewarding moments. As a DMC this feeling surfaced again. If one has no idea as to what being a teacher/mentor to a student entails, DM is the last thing you want to do (unless you remain inactive and like the knowledge).

@Bracko

Hi Jacob, T

here is truth in what you say. I would say that DM (and rescue before that) are generally good for one big reason: they transition your focus from yourself to other people. So, yes, you must become a better diver because you must be completely comfortable with yourself in order to pay attention to and be responsible for others. I don't know what kind of economics you're talking about or how much experience you might get doing this, but I suspect you are right that this will help you to be a better diver just because of the number of dives. One thing to consider, though, relates back to my initial point. That is, you are taking DM to improve your own diving, but you are doing it by putting yourself in a situation where you will be responsible for others. Is your diving good enough to take on that responsibility? If it is, its probably also good enough to take that camera down now. Finally, also remember that DM is a professional rating. That means joining the society, paying professional dues and getting insurance. There's more to it than just getting a c-card. Still may all be worth it...

Anyway, I'm kind of jealous of taking 6-8 weeks to do a DM internship in Thailand. It sounds like a lot of fun -- more than doing it where I live and the diving is done in cold, murky rock quarries! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom