Diver bit by bull shark while spearfishing near Miami FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds more like he tried to fend the shark away and got his arm in the sharks mouth and brushed the teeth (hence sawed).

Doesn't sound like the shark attempted a bite but rather was just in very close interest because of the fish.

It's one of the primary reasons why wild or aquarium shark dives we tell folks to keep their hands to themselves and not out or flailing. You don't need any pressure to slice yourself on an open mouth.

That, or the shark attempted to bite and let go when it realized there was an arm in its fish. I've seen a couple reports of spearfishing injuries from bull sharks over the years where no tissue was removed, but there were very deep lacerations that did "saw" deep into the arm. Either way, it does not take much contact for a set of very sharp, serrated teeth to do major damage.

2016 bite in Palm Beach County, victim's arm could be described as "sawed:"
Bull Shark attacks Spear Diver? - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

there were very deep lacerations that did "saw" deep into the arm

@HalcyonDaze , thanks for that link..
And you're right, that photo on the link you provided looks just like someone glided a saw across it..

Imagine the damage if the shark really wanted to take a bite!!!

Had a 4m bull shark investigate me on a 9m deco stop with 20min TTS. Rather stressful experience...

if your going to dive..... always bring your orthopedic trauma surgeon dive buddy with you.
When I lived in Rome NY, one of the people who I traveled with a lot was one of the best (and most respected) Orthopedic Surgeons in the North East US. He also happened to be a great diver and a lot of fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom