Diver caught in current at surface rescued by boater off Mukilteo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Saw a near miss yesterday at Mukilteo's T-dock (Washington State, USA). There was a substantial tide swing that morning, so a strong westward current made things a little exciting. What follows is largely speculative when it comes to "reasons" but direct observations are my own.

A group of us teaching OW saw a diver with a buoy and SMB floating a substantial distance (perhaps 300 meters?) off shore during the strong ebb current. We speculated that it was a diver seen with a DPV on the beach earlier and that they intended to dive solo to replace a deep marker buoy at the site. They were already down current of the target position for the buoy.

We could make out that he was conscious and could see an occasional obvious kick when the fin left the water. With binoculars, we verified he was OK. After fighting the current for a minute or two, he wisely switched tactics and went perpendicular to it, headed for shore. We tried to make visual contact with the overhead OK signal, but I don't think he saw us.

He was now drifting rapidly westward. We thought he'd make it to the exit at Lighthouse park, so eventually a total of 4 of us went the 600 meters or so to the park to see if we could help him make it the last bit and/or provide first aid on the beach if needed.

By that time he'd let go of the buoy and SMB and it was clear he wouldn't make it back to the beach before the current carried him past the park. If that'd happened, I'm not sure where he'd have ended up, but I'm pretty sure he'd have to hold on until slack and then try to swim to the closest beach since the current was going to take him farther and farther from any shoreline.

Fortunately, there's a boat ramp at the park and a couple of boaters launching. We contacted one who indicated he was also a diver and recognized the emergency. The boater went out and picked up the diver. We could see him walking about on the boat deck, and at that point returned to our class. I figured if he needed aid, emergency services could get to the boat dock very quickly.

I'm not sure we could do anything differently. Given the high current, attempting a surface swim rescue would have just created two victims. (I had gear to do just this, but on the presumption he got himself closer to shore than he did.) I'd offer what I think the diver could have done differently, but would rather hope that somebody here knows the person and can offer their perspective on the incident.

Outgoing current. If he'd hit Admiralty Inlet, maybe Pt. Townsend. :cool:
Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Neah Bay ... what's the difference? One of them is going to work. :wink:

A group of us teaching OW saw a diver with a buoy and SMB floating a substantial distance (perhaps 300 meters?) off shore during the strong ebb current.
Hey SD..... Please understand that this is not at all meant to be judgmental..... but I am just wondering about the thought process of planning and teaching an OW class during the total 13ft tide exchange yesterday... unless maybe your plan was to hit the low slack at about 1330.
By that time he'd let go of the buoy and SMB and it was clear he wouldn't make it back to the beach before the current carried him past the park.
Letting go of the SMB was a definitely bad decision. It's Lingcod season right now so there was lot's of weekend boat activity out there yesterday and an SMB would be one tool I'd want to keep if an open water offshore drift was in the cards. Hopefully he was in a drysuit.

PS...... as a primarily certified Solo diver, other than all of the normal redundancy..... I also carry my Nautilus Lifeline (older version with the VHF radio option). Being in a drysuit, on the surface, with an SMB.... and the ability to broadcast my location and directly communicate on 16 would be a fairly non stressful event...

PSPS...... I thought about diving yesterday but because of the exchange I played golf instead. Now next Sat I will be out there for sure because it's a great tide exchange.......and....... spearfishing for Lingcod will be open!!!

Hey SD..... Please understand that this is not at all meant to be judgmental..... but I am just wondering about the thought process of planning and teaching an OW class during the total 13ft tide exchange yesterday... unless maybe your plan was to hit the low slack at about 1330.

Letting go of the SMB was a definitely bad decision. It's Lingcod season right now so there was lot's of weekend boat activity out there yesterday and an SMB would be one tool I'd want to keep if an open water offshore drift was in the cards. Hopefully he was in a drysuit.

PS...... as a primarily certified Solo diver, other than all of the normal redundancy..... I also carry my Nautilus Lifeline (older version with the VHF radio option). Being in a drysuit, on the surface, with an SMB.... and the ability to broadcast my location and directly communicate on 16 would be a fairly non stressful event...

PSPS...... I thought about diving yesterday but because of the exchange I played golf instead. Now next Sat I will be out there for sure because it's a great tide exchange.......and....... spearfishing for Lingcod will be open!!!

Not my choice on scheduling, feel free to be judgmental! I was assisting another instructor.

I was VERY skeptical, but it worked out. We hit slack pretty well. Student to instructor ratio was 7:3 on Sunday, with 2 DMs and an almost-done DMC. In the end, students experienced enough current to realize this can happen, but not so much as to endanger anybody.

Edit to add: Reports had been that alternate sites had dangerously poor visibility. Reports turned out to be wrong. In hindsight, Cove 2 would have been the place to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom