Diver dies at Sydney Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So does anyone know if this was an OW class, Discover, or AOW? How about a language barrier perhaps?

Apparently it was dive number 1 of an OW course.
In the news they also said
"Police divers this morning recovered the woman's weight belt, face mask and snorkel, he said." I wonder if she ditched the weights or the people rescuing her did

Woman scuba diver's death a training tragedy | News.com.au

For future reference:

A YOUNG woman who died while scuba diving in Sydney Harbour yesterday was on her first open water dive, police say.

The group of beginner divers were diving at Camp Cove, Watsons Bay when they noticed the 28-year-old Nepalise tourist after they surfaced about 5pm AEDT.

Rose Bay Police duty officer Andrew Sipos said the woman was found in about 3m of water.

The woman only arrived in Australia on Saturday and was here on holiday to visit relatives.

"She was on a dive training course, it was her first open water dive," Mr Sipos said.

Police divers this morning recovered the woman's weight belt, face mask and snorkel, he said.

The sister of the dead woman is expected to formally identify her this afternoon.

The foreign national, understood to be from Nepal but living in London, died after becoming separated from her group in Sydney Harbour yesterday.

A police spokeswoman said the woman's sister was also in Australia and would formally identify her remains for the purposes of preparing a report for the coroner.

Ambulance Service spokeswoman Penelope Little said the woman was pulled unconscious from the water in a critical condition a few minutes later by members of the dive course.

Paramedics attempted to resuscitate her. Despite their efforts, the diver was pronounced dead at the scene.

Members of the group, many still in their wetsuits, had to be consoled by their dive leader.

Pro Dive Sydney director Russell de Groot said the woman was one of 12 or 13 people undertaking part way through a two-and-a-half-day Scuba Schools International Open Water Course when the incident occurred,

The group of beginner divers were with two qualified instructors and a rescue diver, he said.

"They had done all the theory and their dives in the pool and they were on their first of four open water dives," Mr de Groot said.

Mr de Groot said he was in shock when informed about the incident.

"Obviously you just think of the young woman's family and relatives, that's the first thing that comes to mind."

Mr de Groot said he was yet to speak to the instructor leading the group, but all the divers and instructors were given counselling yesterday afternoon.

"We had another counselling session with them today just to make sure they were physically and mentally OK," he said.

It was the first incident of its type in the 43-year history of Pro Dive, with the dive company running around 100 open water dive courses each year.

Mr de Groot said Camp Cove was protected and shallow making it suitable for beginner divers.

"It’s the ideal training site, that’s why it is used by most of the dive schools" he said.

Ms Little said there were no early indications about what went wrong during the training course.

Read more: Woman scuba diver's death a training tragedy | News.com.au

Unfortunately this isn't the first death in training this year and with the way the Dive Industry is headed it will only be by sheer luck that there wont be any in the future. If Dive schools insist on creating a McDonalds Drive Through mentality towards the open water course (2 to 2.5 Days) as opposed to the 4 day course which BTW is also a cut down version of what it used to be. I am left scratching my head as to how they can expect people to learn and practice the skills needed to be a safe diver in such a truncated way.
I feel that it is unfortunate that as is usually the case the Dive Professionals and or the Shop Owners will be left holding the bag, the Dive Industry should be held at least partly accountable for allowing these courses to be shortened. The dive industry is already hemorrhaging enough here in Australia for various reasons, the one thing we dont need is more incidents like this.
Please STOP putting the DOLLAR before the Safety of DIVERS

yes it is unfortunate but it is also market driven. The market demands the shortened and cheaper courses and if a dive shop won't offer them.. another one will and they lose business. Sad reality is money and time constraints impact all businesses. The dive industry is no different altho the negative outcomes, deaths and injuries of the shortcuts in dive training are more likely to get publicity.

I do think it is premature at this point to assume that it was a failure of the Shop or instructor. People in their 20's do have heart attacks and medical problems too!

And the age is young at only 29 but you cant rule out a medical problem either . These days we are seeing all kinds of heart problems on some young people. Thoughts to the family

Cheers
Michael

[video=youtube;o03fnT5CQuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=o03fnT5CQuA[/video]

I don't think you can automatically just label this death due to lack of proper training. People have problems and quite frankly, at the open water level of training, it isn't that difficult to get.

And I would also add there are a whole lot more experienced divers dying in the water than beginners if you pay attention to this forum.

Beginners are too paranoid to take unnecessary risks.

I'm not even giong to speculate what went wrong with this young lady, her death is tragic no matter what the reason.

Unfortunately this isn't the first death in training this year and with the way the Dive Industry is headed it will only be by sheer luck that there wont be any in the future. If Dive schools insist on creating a McDonalds Drive Through mentality towards the open water course (2 to 2.5 Days) as opposed to the 4 day course which BTW is also a cut down version of what it used to be. I am left scratching my head as to how they can expect people to learn and practice the skills needed to be a safe diver in such a truncated way.
I feel that it is unfortunate that as is usually the case the Dive Professionals and or the Shop Owners will be left holding the bag, the Dive Industry should be held at least partly accountable for allowing these courses to be shortened. The dive industry is already hemorrhaging enough here in Australia for various reasons, the one thing we dont need is more incidents like this.
Please STOP putting the DOLLAR before the Safety of DIVERS

Can you really blame the length of the course or even the level of training when there's an accident on the 1st dive of an OW water course? The diver appears to have been seperated from the group so perhaps the how vital it is to stay with your buddy wasn't stressed enough during the theory but I see know evidence here that dollars are being put before safety.

Hey people how about we don't make assumptions about the diver, and her abilities (or otherwise) or the training she had received and stick to the facts.

She somehow separated from the group and died.

This is an unfortunate situation and one that will have an ongoing effect on the victim's family and the people that were there on that day. Lets not make it worse - stick to the facts and leave speculation off the board. Sooner or later there will be more information in some form or another and then further analysis can be made.

Has there been any more word on this incident? I'm wondering if she had an unrelated medical condition in the water that caused her death, but I don't see new articles popping up in the news about autopsy results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom