Diver Dies of heart attack in Cabo Feb.18th 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Signing out of this forum i find it useless!

Please don´t reply to this post, you won´t get an answer!!!!!!
Fail...

"WHENEVER YOU COME TO CABO SEND ME A MESSAGE AND I WILL SHOW YOU ALL THE WORK DONE TO MAKE THINGS BETTER HERE IN CABO AND I WILL SHOW YOU ALL THE INFORMATION REQUIRED TO PROVE TO YOU ALL IT´S BEEN SAID! NOT UNTIL THEN!"

Yes... This forum is useless. He can't TELL us this information endangering the lives of divers but if we go to Cabo, he'll SHOW us.

BUT NOT UNTIL THEN!

So don't even ask!

Don't let the 'net hit you in the *ss on your way out.

Step back and take a breath, the thread originally was about a diving accident. Sometimes there is info lost in translation. A first hand account in an accident is always helpful, as long as it is impartial. Cheers

[h=1]Turista fallece de infarto buceando en Los Cabos[/h]By Giusttav on 19 de febrero de 2013 • ( 2 )
turista-buceo-los-cabos.jpg
Un turista de Alaska falleció buceando en una playa de Cabo San Lucas, al sufrir una descompensación a ocho metros de profundidad.
Cabo San Lucas, B.C.S.- Robert Allen Wilkinson, de 60 años de edad, originario de Alaska, quien había llegado 2 días a Los Cabos, hospedándose en el hotel Wyndham junto a su hijo Aaron Wilkinson, de 27 años de edad. Ambos habían contratado un paseo matutino en la embarcación Pacific, saliendo desde el puerto de la ciudad, con dirección a Bahía de las Gaviotas.
Al llegar cerca de la playa El Chileno, la embarcación hace parada para prestar el servicio de snorkel, donde terminaron bajando los improvisados buzos a una profundidad de ocho metros, donde Robert sufrió una descompensación.
El capitán de la embarcación Pacific, se llama Daniel Torres Olvera, de 35 años de edad, originario del estado de Michoacán, quien dijo allá abajo se acercó al turista y vio que éste se encontraba inconsiente, con su visor lleno de agua, por lo que inmediatamente comenzó a subirlo. Una vez que lo alzaron a la embarcación, llamaron a los servicios de emergencias, pero el extranjero no respondió más.

Here is a different newspaper it seems to have the Divers sex correct and seems to say that decompression was at fault and they were Scuba Diving.

Google translate give this, but does not say decompression...
A tourist from Alaska died diving on a beach in Cabo San Lucas, suffering a decompensation to eight feet deep. Cabo San Lucas, BCS-Robert Allen Wilkinson, 60-year-old native of Alaska, who had arrived two days to Los Cabos, staying at the Wyndham with his son Aaron Wilkinson, 27 years of age. Both had hired a morning walk on the vessel Pacific, departing from the port of the city, heading to Bahia de las Gaviotas. Upon reaching the beach near El Chileno, the boat does stop to provide service to snorkel, where they finished down the makeshift divers at a depth of eight meters, where Robert suffered a decompensation. The captain of the vessel Pacific, called Daniel Torres Olvera, 35 years old, from the state of Michoacan, who said he went down there and saw the tourist that he was unconscious, with his visor full of water, so I immediately began to climb. Once lifted him to the boat, called the emergency services, but the stranger did not respond further.
I don't know how well Google translated it, but Wikipedia offers this for decompesation...
In medicine, decompensation is the functional deterioration of a previously working structure or system. Decompensation may occur due to fatigue, stress, illness, or old age. When a system is "compensated", it is able to function despite stressors or defects. Decompensation describes an inability to compensate for these deficiencies. It is a general term commonly used in medicine to describe a variety of situations.

Noticiabos "[URL="http://noticabos.org/2013/02/19/turista-fallece-de-infarto-buceando-en-los-cabos/":
Turista fallece de infarto buceando en Los Cabos[/URL]"]...Robert sufrió una descompensación. ...con su visor lleno de agua....
... seems to say that decompression was at fault....
I believe the word "decompensación" generally means "clearing" rather than "decompression". Entirely different. I'm a Portuguese speaker, and we use the term "compensar" to refer to equalization (e.g., mask, ears, etc.), so as a reasonably fluent foreign speaker of Spanish, I believe the term "compensación" is used for this in that langugage. Given the mention of water in the mask, the word could have been used to refer to the victim's failure to clear the mask. Respiratory distress is a feature of heart failure, so it would make sense that a victim of a heart attack underwater would have difficulty clearing the mask.

Furthermore following on from Don's mention of "decompensation" in a medical sense, there is a sort of heart failure called "Acute decompensated heart failure". I'm not a medical professional, but perhaps this is what the news report was referring to, particularly with the mask full of water observation, which, again, might be due to a shortness of breath on the part of the victim.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom